You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: GNREVO HOF tribute to Guns N' Roses.

polluxlm wrote:

Live Era convinced me fake live albums can be a good thing. This is much better than the album version:

Always wanted to hear what this album would have sounded like. Lyrics on the level of his best UYI work and a new distinct sound. One of the heaviest songs ever produced under the moniker.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Oh My God lyrically might be the best he's written comparable to the old days.

Silkworms ain't bad either.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Famous last words.  16

I love The Spaghetti Incident.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

Anyone hear Silkworms live and in person?

It is a completely different experience. So many raw electronic sounds. Loved it.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

I've heard it back in Rio in 2001!

But I wasn't very pleased... 16

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Never got to hear Silkworms live. But someone put out the Silkworms intro that is either the real thing from the studio version or it's one of the greatest fakes or live clean up jobs ever done. Amazing stuff.

More TSI?

otto

otto wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Live Era convinced me fake live albums can be a good thing. This is much better than the album version:

Always wanted to hear what this album would have sounded like. Lyrics on the level of his best UYI work and a new distinct sound. One of the heaviest songs ever produced under the moniker.

I have so MANY mixed emotions about Oh My God. Clearly sounds like a draft, inconsistent and lacks a hook but in the other hand is so far away from what we've got on Chinese that it makes me wonder the type and quality of the material on the vault.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
ottosporteman wrote:

I have so MANY mixed emotions about Oh My God. Clearly sounds like a draft, inconsistent and lacks a hook but in the other hand is so far away from what we've got on Chinese that it makes me wonder the type and quality of the material on the vault.

You mean in a good way or a bad way?

I feel both this and silkworms are a little more organic on the musical side than much of CD ended up being. This is what the new band brought to the table, while a lot of CD stuff is them trying to be the old band. I think that's supported by both OMG and Silkworms absence from CD after first being released as a single and then being 2/5 of the new songs presented in Rio.

On the positive side Axl has said that the next album will be more experimental. What seems to have happened is the new sound didn't get the reception he had hoped, so he lumped all the more accessible material on CD when it became apparent he had to release something.

KIKO2K
 Rep: 5 

KIKO2K wrote:
ottosporteman wrote:

I've heard it back in Rio in 2001!

But I wasn't very pleased... 16

Me too.

The eletronic beeps and the ambience background stuff are very cool the lyrics not so much.

otto

otto wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
ottosporteman wrote:

You mean in a good way or a bad way?

I feel both this and silkworms are a little more organic on the musical side than much of CD ended up being. This is what the new band brought to the table, while a lot of CD stuff is them trying to be the old band. I think that's supported by both OMG and Silkworms absence from CD after first being released as a single and then being 2/5 of the new songs presented in Rio.

On the positive side Axl has said that the next album will be more experimental. What seems to have happened is the new sound didn't get the reception he had hoped, so he lumped all the more accessible material on CD when it became apparent he had to release something.

Mixed emotions. I've people close to me who work for Universal in Brazil and have ALLEGEDLY heard songs from a follow up BEFORE Chinese was released. They even mentioned song titles that only the hardcore GNR followers would know (Atlas, Seven, Thyme) and they're DEFINETLY not followers, so that grants them some credibility to me. Anyway, they said that the songs they've heard were "epic", "heavy on guitars and synth" and "orchestration all around, higher vocals than on CD"...

If you listen carefully to Silkworms, except for epic and the higher vocals, you have everything they've mentioned. And if Silkworms is the way to go, I'll be disapointed.

BUT they've mentioned that Atlas, Seven and Thyme are closer to Prostitute and Madagascar arrangements than the other songs on CD. One of them mentioned that if you'd listen to CD and the follow up (as it was tracklisted back then) non-stop it would seem like the same album.

Board footer