You are not logged in. Please register or login.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Re: So Back to normal or whatever?

I'm going to see them next month which I'm looking forward to, hopefully Civil War and Estranged stay in the setlist. Everytime they take a touring break they normally come back with a surprise or two (never new music though) so hopefully the Euro tour is no exception.

Ultimately though I think this last week has made me really see that a full reunion is probably never going to happen, not in the way I'd ever envisaged anyway. They're not getting any younger and I've got to say even a full renuion if they're all in their mid 60's doesn't excite me too much, and I don't see it happening any sooner.

Which leaves Axl and the new band, so either be a band and write music together and release it before the window of opportunity and relevence shuts completely or give it up. The 4 year cycle of touring the same songs with a new UYI track thrown in the mix can only go on for so long, new material is the only thing that can sustain new GNR going forward. Sure you can live off the name and continue to tour the old stuff but it's a fine line to tread between enjoying the nostalgia and just being an insult to both the fans you've asked to buy into the new band and the guys up on stage with you.

(I appreciate I sound a bit of a hypocrite saying all that and then buying tickets to see them next month but it's based more on the fact that a) when I saw them 2 years ago the view was so bad it only felt like I got half a show last time and b) I want to hear Estranged live.)

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

I look at it like this

before my Nashville show, I supported new band about 75 percent

after my Nashville show.. I supported new band 100 percent.

Now, I support this band about 50 percent.

So to get me back to where I was... they got some work to do.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Wasn't one of the early new band releases called a demo by him (forget which one it was)?

I think you mean OMG, and yeah, Axl later denounced the End of Days version, which I did take as a heel. 

buzzsaw wrote:

I really hope CD wasn't the final product he envisioned either.  I think he used to have artistic integrity.  I think maybe he still does, but his work doesn't reflect it.

russtcb wrote:

IAs much as I like CD, I don't think it does reflect what he meant when he started.

It's the right record and I couldn't ask for more in that regard. Could have been a more enjoyable journey, but it's there now. The art comes first. It dictates if not the course [then] the destination artistically. - Ax, 2009

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I've been pondering it.

While I understand the frustration of everyone, I don't think in terms of the pressure on Axl anything is different to normal.

Short version to me is that people have been pissed with Axl since 1995 or so for the destruction of the old band - while theres a range of opinions amongst fans - I think the general public widely considers it to be Axl's fault.

Then there's the subset of people who were keen to see what Axl would do alone. Many of those people are pissed due to the timelines, changing faces in the band and so on creating all the factions we have.

In terms of the first group, the pure passage of time has dulled the anger a little, as many people simply moved on, and as the generation who grew up with GNR has got older and has their own mortgages and so on to consider. The time alone has made people adjust and adapt to a world without old gnr and that Axl's not going to reunite on a normal day.

For the second group, well they did finally get CD all be it "late", and there's been tours and stuff for those open to a modern GNR line up. Sure they want more...but well...they stuck around through the last 15 years of drama...can't see too many really leaving for good now....no disrespect to people here who feel upset...but I think it's passing...fundamentally the things you liked about CD are still there of have potential...what's another few years?

This event simply woke up the sleeping dragon of people who have thought Axl's been in the wrong since 1995. But they'll soon go back into their slumber...in fact Axl got a little less heat this time than he did in 95 - for example that MTV article or whatever saying like "but he's a rock star and he's always been a dickhead"...people are used to it now...they'll hate him for it...roll their eyes and move on....

In conclusion...I think this "now Axl has to man up or we're gone situation" isn't real....if Axl was going to respond to public pressure he'd have done it long ago.

I'm hopefull that he'll bring out a new album on his own terms one day - but other than pissing him off and perhaps depressing him - I don't think our outrage really has any influence on what happens.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

It's the right record and I couldn't ask for more in that regard. Could have been a more enjoyable journey, but it's there now. The art comes first. It dictates if not the course [then] the destination artistically. - Ax, 2009

That's too bad.  I'd be much more willing to cut him some slack if it wasn't a finished product and he just put it out to get it over with.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
-D- wrote:

I look at it like this

before my Nashville show, I supported new band about 75 percent

after my Nashville show.. I supported new band 100 percent.

Now, I support this band about 50 percent.

So to get me back to where I was... they got some work to do.

Dude, you have bigger mood swings than a chick.

Just replace "my nashville show" for "sex last night" and "new band" with "you" and "they" with "you've" and that's pretty much how arguments went with my last girlfriend.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHA ^^

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

I won't go see them again without a new album...so ground zero for me.

bigbri wrote:

There is no going back to normal. Not when he's gone this far over the line. Better run as fast as he can from this moment in time as he can. And that's with new music. Less than that and I have zero interest anymore.

Exactly how I feel. A complete lack of interest on my part without new music. There's literally no reason for this band to exist anymore without it.

Board footer