You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: The Newsroom (Now on HBO)

RussTCB wrote:

removed

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
russtcb wrote:
johndivney wrote:

it was ok..

typical fun firecracker sanctimonious ravings.
but also typical soap opera-lite relationship garbage.
defo could do w/o the jeff daniels/executive producer romance BS & that terrible love-triangle angle w/the associate producers. like a really smelly fart in the middle of a pretty fun evening.

overall, could be good but could be boring.

I'm not sure why Sorkin always does that but overall I usually end up liking the characters involved.

Because he's a lowest common denominator writer. If shit sells, he'll cook it. Sad really, cause there's some real talent there.

johndivneys review pretty much reveals what this is all about, another typical soap masquerading as intelligent drama.

HBO 1999-2006 RIP

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

He can create good characters, that's why he's talented, but he makes them do stupid things, cause he's a producer yes man.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
johndivney wrote:

it was ok..

typical fun firecracker sanctimonious ravings.
but also typical soap opera-lite relationship garbage.
defo could do w/o the jeff daniels/executive producer romance BS & that terrible love-triangle angle w/the associate producers. like a really smelly fart in the middle of a pretty fun evening.

overall, could be good but could be boring.

This pretty much nails it.  It was interesting enough to get me to watch week 2.  But I hated all that relationship stuff with the associate producers as well.  It just comes off as tiring.  I didn't really mind the Will/McKenzie backstory/relationship stuff probably because it's in the hand of more capable actors.

I found the producing of the news show as it's live pretty interesting too.  Sam Waterson is enjoyable as always.  Glad to see he wasn't playing a news version of Jack McCoy.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Saw the first episode. Shows promise. Love the "intensity" of the episode. I think there's alot of hidden subtext in it about human personality and 'that world'.

Cast is fantastic.

But like with "Luck", it's one of those shows it could be great, or it could get cancelled in 6 episodes.

Definitely good enough for me to watch it each week to see how it plays out. Daniels is FANTASTIC in it.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer