You are not logged in. Please register or login.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

Re: London, May 31 (14 Years and Dead Flowers w/ Izzy!)

smoke wrote:

Time is shit. Live long enough, and you WILL get kicked in the nuts by it. I go back and forth on Axl, but right now I'm back to he's doing the best he can, even if that seems really fucked up.

+1 on best vocals in rnr history

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I think I agree with that if you're talking about finished product.  I hear things like the end of RQ and him nailing crazy notes with power and accuracy.  It's amazing.  SCOM while overplayed is beautifully sung.  His singing on all the albums before CD is pretty close to flawless in style and in execution.

If we're talking live, he's not even close.  Granted a lot of that is how difficult a lot of his vocals are to sing, but still...it is what it is.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
ottosporteman wrote:

I'll start the fanboy shit: Izzy's badly balding.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
johndivney wrote:
Ali wrote:

With all due respect to everyone who thinks Izzy's decision to not attend the HOF was predicated on Axl's attendance, you have to remember that Matt Sorum said Slash had spoken to Izzy and Izzy confirmed he wouldn't attend prior to Axl sending out his statement.  So, I believe that theory is flawed.

As for "14 Years", I thought it sounded great.  I understand that people prefer the raspier tone, but I do not.  Maybe it's because when I sing I realize that tone tends to come from more unhealthy vocal habits such as singing from a (closed) throat.  But, I prefer the sound of cleaner tone as much as I think it's better for the voice.

Ali

& i thought i was contrary....

it might be healthier, but it doesn't sound as rock n roll.

imo axl had the greatest vocals in rnr history, he was the embodiment of it.
this squeaky axl of the 21st century doesn't have anywhere near the same potency.
i find it's a bit shit in actuality.

Good for you.  Different tastes for different people.  I like a lot of metal singers like Geoff Tate, Bruce Dickinson, etc. and many of them employ a cleaner vocal tone.  So, I enjoy the cleaner tone.

Ali

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

ottosporteman wrote:

FUCK YEA! 9

johndivney wrote:
smoke wrote:

Time is shit. Live long enough, and you WILL get kicked in the nuts by it.

aye, unfortunately i don't have to look to uncle axl to know this.
my once beautiful, aryan, blonde hair has long since been over taken by grey sad

buzzsaw wrote:

I think I agree with that if you're talking about finished product.  I hear things like the end of RQ and him nailing crazy notes with power and accuracy.  It's amazing.  SCOM while overplayed is beautifully sung.  His singing on all the albums before CD is pretty close to flawless in style and in execution.

If we're talking live, he's not even close.  Granted a lot of that is how difficult a lot of his vocals are to sing, but still...it is what it is.

yea definitely.
GnR have always been inconsistent live & axl is part of that.
however some of his live performances, especially in the early days, are astonishing.

i think part of it may be we're not as exposed to the flaws of the greats that went before, they didn't have the exposure of today. & that has helped damaged axl's reputation(!) somewhat (as a vocalist).

but AFD alone, imo, cements his place as one of if not the greatest rnr singer ever. he just "got it", so perfectly. it was like everything that went before, then magnified & perfected.
i think the end of RQ may be my fave GnR moment, but it's the tenderness of that & SCOM matched w/the mania of OTGM or the hellish party of Nightrain/ISE that allows him to cover all bases w/a brutal power that's just pure rnr perfection.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

What the fuck? What the fuck! You cats in London got a treat. I am not a fan of DJ, everyone knows that. Seeing Izzy is a once in a lifetime experience, glad I got to see him in New York for the first time and it was his post GN'R appearance with GN'R.

Izzy has never been for censorship like Duff was with that internet bill on illegal downloads, so let's hold the douche card off the table.

The Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame is Jann Wenner's brainchild. Does it really have that much bearing or because it inducts you, you owe someone or the fans anything? I don't think so. I mean was Axl's letter a day before the gig kind of douchey? Likely. But Izzy didn't show up for whatever reasons, and he doesn't owe you that. And that people are mad at him over that it, is uber lame.

Next issue. If I know my Guns history correct, Izzy and Axl are childhood friends both from Indiana and reconnected in 2006 or maybe before hand, I don't know. So he likely had the heads up on the whole RN'R Hall of Fame. It seems like they might have a better bond versus Izzy & Slash or Izzy & Duff, judging from the fact they were friends long before the Guns N' Roses existed. Anyhow, regardless if he did or didn't know about Axl not going to the Hall, who cares? It is in the past and over with.

I do think though that Izzy has Axl's back to a degree, obviously he gels with the other guys, but you have to factor in the history between those two over the other four.

Make no mistake though, until Robin is back in the band, I am not a fan.

Sky Dog wrote:

Izzy has Axl's back...pretty obvious. It doesn't mean he doesn't support the rest of the guys. But, in the end, they started the band and if asked, they would tell you they wrote the large majority of songs. That is true and that is a fact. We all know how Slash took some of those tunes and turned them in to ICONIC songs. So, haters lighten up. Everybody played their role but I favor the Axl/Izzy camp in the end.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

Sky Dog wrote:

Izzy has Axl's back...pretty obvious. It doesn't mean he doesn't support the rest of the guys. But, in the end, they started the band and if asked, they would tell you they wrote the large majority of songs. That is true and that is a fact. We all know how Slash took some of those d turned them in to ICONIC songs. So, haters lighten up

I agree, I didn't mean my post to sound like Izzy wasn't geling with the other cats, he clearly does.

And in no ways trying to discredit Slash.

I think it is ridiculous that people aren't allowed into a concert if they're wearing a Slash shirt.

Slash is part of Guns and you can't take his accomplishments away.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Ali wrote:

Good for you.  Different tastes for different people.  I like a lot of metal singers like Geoff Tate, Bruce Dickinson, etc. and many of them employ a cleaner vocal tone.  So, I enjoy the cleaner tone.

Ali

I'd be curious to know if you became a fan in the modern era then Ali? As if you like clean tone then the records are pretty rough....Axl really only started singing with clean tone in 2000. Even the "clean" type songs in the 1990s like "Since I don't have you" have a shit load of rasp going on.

I know for example my sister refused to listen to GNR cos she is also a singer and couldn't handle the sound of Axl's voice back in the day.

Board footer