You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Re: Guns N' Roses Appetite for Destruction 25th Anniversary Fan Pack

Aussie wrote:

I didn't mind the official video for WTTJ that came out with Live Era.

That and the redone It's So Easy one I think it was, give you a snippet of all the fucken footage they have in their vault.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I'd be so up for a remaster...but not if they're going to start messing with the performances....although actually a 2006 Axl scream on jungle and a modern slash solo on nighttran sounds fun...but it would open a can of worms and we'd end up with parts we hated...I would like a loundness war style remaster though so it's at gig level...lol....

I think a remix would be good, like Pearl Jam did for a special edition of Ten with Brendan O'Brien. Maybe throw Shadow Of Your Love and Nice Boys on there too.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Shadow of Your Love is a killer song with great rage in the vocals with a garage rock guitar riff! I don't mind if the current GNR pulls this out live one day.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

I just emailed you that Mr Brownstone remix Russ in mp3.

That was the one mixed by Michael Lardie and Alan Niven.  It was the B-side on the first single It's So Easy.

The background to that was after a couple of weeks in the studio and getting nothing down on tape, Geffen was starting to get worried.  Apparently Niv cleared the decks and he and Lardie did a quick and dirty mix of Mr Brownstone which they then sent on to Geffen.  This had the desired effect of placating Geffen so they could get on with the job.

I don't mind that mix either.  It also shows how it would be cool to hear some of that album remixed etc.  Same with UYI, I remember Slash saying he had versions of the UYI album that were all stripped back and raw (before all the shit was added) would be cool to hear those.  Although I vaguely recall reading Slash lost those DAT's??

I've been trying to find that mix of Brownstone, can anyone set me up with it?

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Here's the original mix of Black by Pearl Jam...

Here's the re-mix by Brendan O'Brien...

I'd love to hear this happen with AFD.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I actually came into Page 2 to say exactly what you did ID.

What Axl (and the rest of the old band needs) is someone like Brendan O'Brien go in there and whatever made that original album so good, just keep it and bring it up. Nothing more.

I've felt AFD has needed it for years. I honestly was never nuts about the mix for AFD (needs more dynamic dimension to it, make it louder without distorting it, imho). O'Brien would do it without burying anybody, nor doing the "loud wars" with it so it was distorted and awful.

I would love to see some remixing of UYI one day. Now that would be the tricky thing. I would love to hear a stripped down re-mixed, re-released UYI. Something that removes ALL vocal special effects and voice over garbage, and is just GN'R rocking. Not to mention UYI has alot of stuff sitting in the garage that could be totally redone and thrown in on a bonus disc.

As far as Axl using the current GN'R to re-arrange AFD, and throw in some Lies & UYI songs -- just keep it. I wouldn't mind hearing it, but it needs to be saved as a bonus disc for a future GN'R original album as a selling point. But in reality for me, I would've loved to hear a Robin/Bucket-fueled 2001-02 remixed AFD with some of their unique solo rearrangements. Because they WERE SO DIFFERENT from what came before.

The current GN'R, no matter how good they are, are obviously there paying tribute to the old band. Full on. DJ handles Slash, Ron handles Bucket, Richard channels Slash, Izzy & Gilby mixed together, while Tommy basically admitted he just "does it like Duff".

I have no interest in hearing that band re-arranging AFD. There's no point. At least there was a point in that in that 2001-02 band.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

The man for the job is Randy Staub who did Black Gives Way to Blue by AIC.

Take those original peformances and let Randy mix them.

The toms on Brownstone would be melt your innards...the snarehits on nighttrain explode your ears...the vocals the solos....it would be the bomb with modern mixing and mastering.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer