You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Re: New Buckethead tour

Agh when is he going to come to the UK? sad

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Use the earplugs.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

I have hearing loss, but have not had it professionally measured. A few concerts back I experienced pain in my ears for the warm up act. I didn't have plugs, but used Kleenex in my ears to help protect them. I have worn plugs ever since. I see a lot of people wearing them now, especially in my age group or older (40+) My wife began wearing them about a year before me for the same reason. She has not experienced hearing loss like me however, just pain.

I've had years of loud music in headphones, danceclubs, rock concerts and car stereos which has finally taken it's toll. I'd tell any younger person to use plugs!

I would disagree that concerts sound better with them on. Our last concert was Van Halen and I had plugs on the entire time. I joked that it was like screwing with a condom on. Still good, but not quite the same. That's OK though, I'd prefer to try and preserve what I have left. I know when I'm older I'm probably fucked though.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
jorge76 wrote:

I disagree with the most shows sound better with plugs thing, I've never experienced that at all, but I think any stigma about wearing them is long gone. 

Only thing I would say is go to a music store (that sells instruments, not albums) and get a good pair.  Don't just get the pair for $.50 at a hardware store.  That makes a huge difference in the sound.

What is the difference? We just use the cheap pairs from the drug store.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Regarding it sounding better.

It's probably subjective.

I have sensitive ears and get pain from concert levels. I also find at gig level volumes the sound can kind of "bleed" in my ear drums and distorts. Almost like the digital clipping you get if you max out volume on protools or something. I find I loose clarity in the instruments and it just becomes a wall of painful noise my mind can't process properly.

That's over stating it...but with plugs...it's usually still plenty loud so i can rock out...but I lose the pain and the distortion and you can once again make everything out. I also don't experience any post gig trauma or disorientation that james alluded to.

For me...it adds to the experience...I can get close to the stage even if it's near the PA...i can go crazy and enjoy myself...whereas the shear volume of some performances will actually detract from my fun with some acts...even though I like metal and like it loud...there's just a point where the physical toll is more than my ears handle...this puts it back at levels I can handle...

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
Cramer wrote:
jorge76 wrote:

I disagree with the most shows sound better with plugs thing, I've never experienced that at all, but I think any stigma about wearing them is long gone. 

Only thing I would say is go to a music store (that sells instruments, not albums) and get a good pair.  Don't just get the pair for $.50 at a hardware store.  That makes a huge difference in the sound.

What is the difference? We just use the cheap pairs from the drug store.

The cheap industrial ones really just cut out the highs and muddy up the sound quite a bit.  The specifically music ones bring the sound as a whole down a lot more evenly.  It still isn't perfect, but it's better than the cheap ones.

The ones I have have some sort of metal filter insert thing rather than just being made of foam or whatever it is the cheap ones are.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Wish he would come to canada

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Two dates in Canada, Vancouver and I forget the other.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

It's Victoria. That's the other one, which is still pretty much Vancouver.

Sorry Neemo, aren't you near Toronto?

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Yep....across the country.....like driving from Pittsburgh to Seattle lol

Board footer