You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

Re: New Buckethead tour

bigbri wrote:

James, he's all over Cali again. So far, only West Coast dates. Albums usually accompany tours, so look for something before the end of summer.

http://www.bucketheadland.com/tour/index.html

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Cant pass up Bucket coming that close. Glad the only option isn't Frisco. I'm gonna try to go to Sac and Fresno but if only one, I'll go to Sac.

Only question is do I risk more hearing loss or wear ear plugs? I'd feel like an old douche bag wearing those but the feeling I had coming out of that last Bucket show when my ears were shot was traumatic. Caused me to miss Soundgarden.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

You're ears must be sensitive or severely damaged more than one would imagine. I didn't even think it was that loud at the venue I saw him at.

James

James wrote:

I've had tinnitus for years. That Bucket show was my first concert since MIA and the damage was immediately noticeable when I walked out of the club. I've been to shows much louder but I was about 5-10 feet from the stage.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Damn dude. Sorry man. That sucks.

Can you even listen to iPod music or anything? Headphones?

James

James wrote:

Yeah I can listen to headphones but I don't. That played a huge role in my hearing loss. Listening to headphones LOUD since I was a little kid, loud music at home and in the car, plus concerts and that's a recipe for disaster.

When I see kids listening to Ipods with those little earphones jammed in their ears I just shake my head. They'll be hearing a very loud, constant, monotonous ring in about 20 years.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah I never do that, except when I climb up on a tractor. Kinda use the player to drown out the mower noise, which is extremely loud. Helps break the time when you're soaking sun, sweating your ass off for 5-6 hours on a Saturday working.

The rest of the time I try to moderate the sound. I have sensitive, good working ears, so I protect them as much as possible.

But you see these kiddies today, whether college or high school, and their shit is CRANKED. You can hear what they're listening to from across a crowded waiting room.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

Wearing ear-plugs at a show actually makes it sound better.  Who gives a fuck what people think?

I might have to hit that Sac show too.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

You should absolutely wear ear plugs...

1. All sound engineers will be wearing ear plugs...so odds are the show will be mixed to compensate for any frequency distortion caused by the plugs. Most shows I've seen sound better with plugs.

2. Fuck what anyone else thinks. Its not about age or toughness. It's just a medical fact that volumes at gig level are doing damage. God willing you live to a long age. You go deaf or half-insane from annoying noises in your head and that seriously fucks with your quality of life. I wouldn't cut my arm off cos someone else will think I look tough, and I'm not going to burn my ears with permanent damage to please randoms either. I love the band just as much as they do...but I want to be able to hear the new albums when I'm older.

3. If you already experience tinitus and hearing loss, or if you have a history of abuse of your ears then the above goes triple fold....for the love of god don't make it worse for 1.5 hours of fun that you can have anyway with plugs in.

Sorry for the rant it's a pet issue of mine....everyone should wear ear plugs every gig!

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:

I disagree with the most shows sound better with plugs thing, I've never experienced that at all, but I think any stigma about wearing them is long gone. 

Only thing I would say is go to a music store (that sells instruments, not albums) and get a good pair.  Don't just get the pair for $.50 at a hardware store.  That makes a huge difference in the sound.

Board footer