You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: 12 GN'R shows in Las Vegas

James wrote:

I was watching Pawn Stars last night and someone brought in Slash's drivers license. I have a feeling Rick posts or lurks on forums(if you're here, hi Rick!). He started saying some of the EXACT same things we've said on the forums for years. How if Slash hadn't left in 96, "they would have been the next Stones". Said a few other things but I was high and dont remember it all. It was funny though. Maybe it's on youtube. The guy wanted $50,000 for the license. He was obviously higher than I was. They didn't buy it of course.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
jorge76 wrote:

I just finished Duff's book, add on to all this how he tells the story of them meeting again.

They were in nextdoor hotel rooms, Duff decided he was going to just man up, go knock on the door and talk to him.  Duff is met in the hallway by "Axl's management" who says "You can't talk to him right now, he's getting in the shower"

Duff replies "Don't worry, I've seen him naked before".

As they're halfway arguing about it in the hallway, the door cracks open and it's Axl who says "I thought I heard your voice, come on in man" (and he wasn't naked)

They evidently didn't want him talking to Duff either.

Interesting story.  Never heard that before.

I think "Axl's people" treat him with kid gloves because they know (think) he could go off on a whim.  So they try to shelter him, probably even more than he wants to be.  I'd like to think they're doing it out of love and not for their own personal gain.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I hear you faldor and I suspect they do have a genuine "family" kind of feeling - they've lived together intimately for decades.

Likewise I do credit beta for keeping Axl alive during the periods where it seemed that he might take a Kurt Cobain style route.

At the same time though, I can't help but acknowledge that it seems a huge number of the band's problems come from communication breakdowns and that it stems from around the time these people were given authority.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

You summed it up well Monkey. I'm pretty sure these guys have probably kept Axl from pulling that trigger on the shotgun in his mouth at some point.  They have no doubt been through a lot with him emotionally and helped him through a heap of shit.  For that I tip my hat.

But from my outside perspective it seems that they are more than an overly protective parent now.  Stuff seems to be manipulated or miscommunicated not just to protect him anymore, but I would speculate it's done for other potentially more selfish reasons sometimes.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
jorge76 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

Wow. I don't remember anything about a 2007 reunion or anything close to what you described. And I was always under the impression that Axl was there when Slash showed up and that Beta wasn't hiding him away.

Maybe Axl was there and just refused to see Slash himself, but you are talking about a person who doesn't know he's going to be interviewed by Eddie Trunk until just before, and who was told his was playing a small club on NYE then found out it was a whole gig. Axl is kept out of the loop most of the time it seems - presumably so things won't upset him. I'm guessing he doesn't answer his own door unless he's expecting company.

What I do know is that GNR have been offered insane sums of money multiple times to reunite - including $150m from Live Nation a few years back. We also know that Scott Weiland was under the serious impression that GNR would reunite - and himself almost disbanded VR over this issue on occasion.

Behind the scenes such things are always going to be placed on the table cos everyone on earth, and everyone associated with these guys businesses, is going to want them to do it, except of course for Axl and Slash themselves.

Axl himself has said that Slash needs to apologise to him.

Slash showed up at Axl's house to sort it out once and for all. How is that going to happen if he can't even see him?

And even if Axl hates slash - if slash has come over to beg for forgiveness - (which it seemed at minimum he'd given over a lot of face by comming to admit VR wasn't working and he needs Axl) - it seems unlikely Axl wouldn't want to even speak to slash - even if just to tell him to go to hell.

The questions to me are:

* Why is it that Axl's anger toward Slash is fresher than ever - when that haven't even spoken in 15 years - doteam brazil and their associates speak negatively of slash to show loyalty to Axl - or does fuelling that fire ensure their status?

* Who did speak to Slash when he came to the door? And if he really said all the anti VR stuff - why wasn't he granted an audience?

* Ever notice how Axl doesn't know what's going on with the band, and he always finds out how people are betraying him? I'm sure a bunch of people have tried to force a reunion on him, but at the same time, he's been nearly unable to develop much of anything with some of the most talented music managers out there. And when Axl is obviously a friendly guy to them all the time - why is it that band members quit? It's because there's a hell of a lot of politics. Ever notice how the inner circle - beta etc - always stay - and everyone else band/managers etc at the next level comes and goes? Is that because she's really the only loyal person or because everyone else only gets communication through Team Brazil.

Also - when did things start melting down with the UYI band - people say when Izzy left - but I think it's more like from the period where all communication with Axl became "through his people" and when what Slash calls the "hangers on" started informally managing Axl's life.

It's a theme throughout this whole story. So sure...there's no 2007 reunion...but it was a lot closer than people realisie...and yay....team brazil are achieving tours that even Kiss' manager or the guy who runs Live Nation could not achieve....funny that.

I just finished Duff's book, add on to all this how he tells the story of them meeting again.

They were in nextdoor hotel rooms, Duff decided he was going to just man up, go knock on the door and talk to him.  Duff is met in the hallway by "Axl's management" who says "You can't talk to him right now, he's getting in the shower"

Duff replies "Don't worry, I've seen him naked before".

As they're halfway arguing about it in the hallway, the door cracks open and it's Axl who says "I thought I heard your voice, come on in man" (and he wasn't naked)

They evidently didn't want him talking to Duff either.

This is a good point, but at the same time the family aspect of it all could have them just trying to protect him from past comments. See you don't know what Beta has seen and heard. She was there mothering Axl in the moments that Axl probably swore up and down that he was gonna kill himself because all of his friends were gone and Slash was a liar and no one believes him and Duff turned his back on him, and he loved that dude, etc.

So Beta protects him like a mother.

I can tend to have an ego too (yeah I know, huge shock), but i've had moments in life where my mother denied people access to me because she thought she was doing me a favor because I had gone through major bullshit with them, then suddenly I hear they are there or I missed them because she denied them access.

I'm kind of a cross between Axl & Duff. On one hand i'm sensitive, WAY sensitive, and on the other hand i'm NO bullshit whatsoever.

Like one time there was this girl I was in an unrequited love situation with, and she came by to see me, but for no other reason than just "hey" (not like she was there to win my heart or anything dramatic). My mom turned her away, and then I saw through the window she was there, I ran down and greeted her, we briefly talked with no issues, and then later on I flipped on my mom. Huge tirade. Yet at the same time, she still felt she was doing best by me, because only a couple days later I was all bummed out again, and guess who was there? Mom. Not the girl. Mom.

Same thing happened one time were a couple friends hung out with me, and I found out later the whole thing was staged. I was livid for years... YEARS... over that one. But mom was doing what she thought was best. She later regretted it and admitted wrongdoing on that one, but she at the time thought she was doing me a big favor. There's some more specifics on that one if anyone is confused reading that i'm not going to go into right here.

I think Axl & Beta probably have a similar relationship. Sure Beta shouldn't be there, i'm the first guy that absolutely SLAMMED her Margaret Thatcher bullshit on "No More Managers", and still think she looked like an asshole, and still does daily on HTGTH.

But at the same time for as much 'strength' as Axl has had to "stay strong", someone was there backing him up that he was making the right decision and that was her, imo. At the same time, he needs her for when Duff goes home and isn't there to listen to Axl vent, because Duff doesn't give a shit.

I think the Malibu Mafia want a reunion, but on their terms. They still want access to Axl, they still want to be his representatives, and I think Axl wants that too. But the more hands you put in the cookie jar, the more control you lose. I think they are and have tried to find a way to make it work, and have just come up with nothing.

I think the one thing they hate is the fact that if Axl were on tour with a Slash & Duff, those two wouldn't think nothing of just walking up to the door, right past them like they didn't exist. And guess what? Slash & Duff can do that, because they would be GUNS N' ROSES in that situation, equal legends to Axl Rose. They can do that.

GN'R has nobody like that there right now other than Axl himself, and they corner him. They can't corner all three of them, they'd be stretched too thin. Slash's got Perla, and Duff's got Susan, and I think Team Brazil doesn't like that. They want the money, but they also want the control, and they will NEVER EVER get both.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I think Perla's recent comments about Axl would effect a reunion way more than anything Beta has said in the last few years.

And really, if Axl wants to get the original guys (or some of them) back together, what the hell is Beta gonna do to stop it? Axl will do what he wants.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Nah, I don't buy that. I think Axl does consult Beta on what he wants to do before he does it. Especially now that she's manager.

But at the same time, yes Axl is still ultimately to blame. It's all his doing, good or bad.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

It doesn't matter if he consults her, it's all his decision. She's not going to have a say in what he does or doesn't decide to do. And yeah, he can flip out on Beta, too.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

A few episodes like 'the osbournes' in Axl's house would be very interesting!

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Scabbie wrote:

A few episodes like 'the osbournes' in Axl's house would be very interesting!

Let me guess Fernando would be like Kelly in this situation. 16

Board footer