You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Apple awarded $1bn in damages from Samsung in US court

A US court has ordered Samsung to pay Apple $1.05bn (£665m) in damages for infringing intellectual property.

The jury decided several Samsung devices had infringed iPhone-maker Apple's software and design patents, but rejected counter-claims by Samsung.

Apple will now seek import bans on several of its rival's products. Samsung has said it will appeal.

Correspondents say the ruling is one of the most significant in a global battle over patents and intellectual property.

In recent weeks, a court in South Korea ruled that both technology firms had copied each other, while a British court threw out claims by the US company that Samsung had infringed its copyright.

But the year-long US case has involved some of the biggest damages claims, and is likely to shape the way patent licences are handled in the future.

'Monopoly' gibe

Samsung promised to appeal against the decision describing it as "a loss for the American consumer".

"It will lead to fewer choices, less innovation, and potentially higher prices," the South Korean firm said.

The statement added that it was "unfortunate that patent law can be manipulated to give one company a monopoly over rectangles with rounded corners".

Apple, however, said it applauded the court "for finding Samsung's behaviour wilful and for sending a loud and clear message that stealing isn't right".

Apple said it intended to seek sales injunctions at a follow-up hearing on 20 September

The two firms account for more than half of global smartphone and tablet computer sales.

The nine-person jury at the federal court in San Jose, California had to consider 700 questions about each side's claim that its rival had infringed its intellectual property.

It deliberated for less than three days before coming to a unanimous decision, rejecting all of Samsung's claims and upholding five of Apple's allegations, including:

Some of Samsung's handsets, including its Galaxy S 4G model, infringed Apple's design patents for the look of its iPhone including the system it uses to display text and icons

All the disputed Samsung devices had copied Apple's "bounce-back response", which makes lists jump back as if yanked by a rubber band

Several Samsung devices incorporated Apple's facility allowing users to zoom into text with a tap of a finger

Apple had wanted $2.5bn in damages. Samsung had sought $519m.

'Social cost'

Michael Gartenburg, research director at Gartner, told the BBC it could be a good thing for consumers in the long run because it would force Apple's competitors to innovate.

"Anyone who was even thinking about borrowing a technology or design from Apple will think twice about it now," he said.

Other analysts point out that Apple could be the overall loser because the court case has helped boost Samsung's profile.

Also, the South Korean firm has already brought out a new generation of products that should avoid the patent issues.

However, Christopher Marlett of investment bank MDB Capital Group said there was a "social cost" for Samsung.

"As a company, you don't want to be known as someone who steals from someone else," he said.

Apple remains one of the South Korean company's biggest customers buying computer chips and, reportedly, screens.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19377261

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

Regardless of your personal opinions on either company, it's hard not to see that Samsung tried to copy Apple.  They even had a 100+ page presentation about how the iPhone was better than their phone and how they could make their phone more like it. 

This is going to change the cell phone market.  And it could be a good thing.  People will be less likely to use Apple's patented ideas without licensing.  Which in turn means they will most likely choose to make their own stuff that isn't like the iphone instead.  Apple is taking a huge gamble by wining.  Their way of making a phone might not be the best and most simple, and now they are forcing their competition to come out with something different and better. 

There isn't any way of knowing the outcome ahead of time, but this could change the course of the company and bring on their post-peak years like what happened with Microsoft.  All it takes is one company with nothing left to lose who is willing to take a huge gamble to invent something Apple hasn't thought of and dethrone them.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Apple and Samsung may control over half of the mobile phone supply, but their hold on the phone demand is ever greater. Apple makes upwards of 75% of all the profit made in the mobile phone business (I think) with Samsung pulling in another 20ish%. I don't have a problem with monopolies that result from having the consensus best product, and everyone (myself included) seems to feel that way about the iPhone. If Apple tried to cash in by selling at too high a price, someone will come undercut them. But right now nobody is close to the iPhone except those that will steal to get there.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Communist China wrote:

Apple and Samsung may control over half of the mobile phone supply, but their hold on the phone demand is ever greater. Apple makes upwards of 75% of all the profit made in the mobile phone business (I think) with Samsung pulling in another 20ish%. I don't have a problem with monopolies that result from having the consensus best product, and everyone (myself included) seems to feel that way about the iPhone. If Apple tried to cash in by selling at too high a price, someone will come undercut them. But right now nobody is close to the iPhone except those that will steal to get there.

Agreed.  The iPhone (and iPad) are very easy to use and very powerful products.  Apple invested 5 years into making the iPhone, it's very understandable that they would be pissed to see other companies come along and piggy back off of their hard work but do it in way less time.  And often in an inferior way.

imsorry wrote:

google Apple design Dieter Rams or Braun...

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
imsorry wrote:

google Apple design Dieter Rams or Braun...

Yes, and Rams seems flattered:

"I have always regarded Apple products — and the kind words Jony Ive (Apple designer) has said about me and my work — as a compliment. Without doubt there are few companies in the world that genuinely understand and practise the power of good design in their products and their businesses."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/a … r-did.html

imsorry wrote:

i know ...Thats not he point ,anyway. 19

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:

Ok! Then I misunderstood.

Why would you want people to google that stuff?

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

That Galaxy III Kicks the Iphones ass.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer