You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Lance Armstrong

johndivney wrote:

the USADA is releasing its report & the testimony of 26 people today..

One point the Usada report goes out of its way to make is that Armstrong was not simply a participant in the team doping program but its chief organizer and enforcer. Usada pins "final responsibility" for team doping on Armstrong:

"Armstrong had ultimate control over not only his own personal drug use, which was extensive, but also over the doping culture of his team. Final responsibility for decisions to hire and retain a director, doctor sand other staff committed to running a team-wide doping program ultimately flowed to him."

Armstrong is made out to be a kingpin figure:

"The evidence is overwhelming that Lance Armstrong did not just use performance enhancing drugs, he supplied them to his teammates. He did not merely go alone to Dr. Michele Ferrari for doping advice, he expected that others would follow. It was not enough that his teammates give maximum effort on the bike, he also required that they adhere to the doping program outlined for them or be replaced. He was not just a part of the doping culture on his team, he enforced and re-enforced it. Armstrong’s use of drugs was extensive, and the doping program on his team, designed in large part to benefit Armstrong, was massive and pervasive."

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

So busted

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Who cares is the real question?  Someone cheated in a sport of cheaters.  Wow.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Because you're not supposed to cheat.

Especially in one of the biggest sports the world has to offer.

Rules will be rules until someone changes the rules.

That's why.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

So tell that to everybody else.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Not about Lance, but has any sports organization addressed the issue of painkillers in sports? Most use them and when I watched gymnastics back in the 90s, all those girls were high as kites. A very common misconception about painkillers is they only kill pain and if anything, its a "downer". NOT true. A regular user quickly figures out a certain dose brings a euphoric high which would definitely give the user an advantage over a non user.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

I don't understand where the line is between acceptable medical performance enhancers and unacceptable ones. I'm another in favor of legalization.

From what I can tell, Lance doped, and so does everybody else in cycling, and he was the best at it. To me, that could easily be a part of being the best in cycling.

For athletes and fans who are strongly anti-doping, you could have, for instance, separate track and field divisions based on what medical enhancements are allowed. But it's just a hopeless endeavor to try to rid them from the sport, because the tests will always lag behind the drugs. And a lot of it isn't that different from practices we already allow.

johndivney wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Who cares is the real question?  Someone cheated in a sport of cheaters.  Wow.

what a fucking stupid thing to say.
he's only one of the most recognisable sportsmen in history & a liar who has touched an extraordinary amount of lives.

millions of people care, and for lots of reasons. most principally: justice.

there are a lot of great, honest, clean people in cycling. & this guy falsified his career, pathetically used his cancer as a shield and as a marketing tool. there are many other survivors on the cycling circuit who genuinely deserve love and respect for what they overcome & they continue to compete, cleanly. he took from these honest people rewards. he cheated them.
why wouldn't someone care about righting an egregious wrong?

you should stick to your fucking bowling.

i'm delighted that today he has finally been stripped of this his tour titles.
i hope now the sport can turn the corner & recover from the damage this charlatan & his like have done. the tour itself remains, inspite of it all, one of the great sporting competitions & endeavours on the planet & now it can finally regain it's status as an ultimate test of endurance & conditioning.

it's a good day today.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

What I think is stupid, is it's not like history is gonna re-write this that "Lance Armstrong did not win those races".

There will be an asterisk* and people will always utter his name as the winner before talking about the #2.

Nothing has changed, other than him being turned heel by the media and the public opinion.

He's still the fucking champion, even if he cheated to win the belt. Nothing's changed.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

What I think is stupid, is it's not like history is gonna re-write this that "Lance Armstrong did not win those races".

There will be an asterisk* and people will always utter his name as the winner before talking about the #2.

Nothing has changed, other than him being turned heel by the media and the public opinion.

He's still the fucking champion, even if he cheated to win the belt. Nothing's changed.

Interesting. So would you as an American have the same opinion about the 1988 Seoul Olympics where Ben Johnson WON the 100 meter dash beating Carl Lewis? Johnson was stripped of his gold for testing positive and it was given to Carl Lewis who, regardless of what the IOC officials decided after the race,  crossed the finish line second. In fact Carl Lewis should have actually been suspended for 6 months and not allowed to compete at the Olympics for testing positive at the US trials. My point is every guy in that race tested positive at one point so who's the true champion from the 1988 Seoul Olympics? I'd have to say the guy who crossed he finish line first but I'd imagine most Americans would call that blasphemy 16

But you make a good point. Carl Lewis is never mentioned as the winner of that race. Ben Johnson won that race and was then stripped of his Gold medla and it was given to Carl. So stripping Ben Johnson f the title never changed a thing. he wa still the fastest man in the world at the time and on that day.

Board footer