You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Re: How many of you have had your wisdom teeth cut out?

I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth surgically removed yesterday.  They had never broken the skin(I'm 25) and I never felt any pain, but the Army thought it was best to do em.  The anesthesia was kind of kick ass cause I remember the Doc asking if I felt anything once he put the meds in and me replying no.  I remember laying there just thinking about something and  ...blank...   I woke up at some point to viewing the Doctor using a pick to shatter one of my teeth.  Thank god I was sedated or I might have been freaked out.  Everyone told me I wouldn't be self aware and would have no memory when I came out of surgery, but I was perfectly alert and aware, albeit a lil slow.

What sucks is that I look like a damn hamster now and made my pillow look like a maxi pad during the night.  To those of you who have had the surgery, how long did it take you to recover and for the swelling to subside?

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I had the procedure last year....i went back to work right after it was done..swelling was gone in a day

julia (babydolls)
 Rep: 6 

eek - you woke up during it?!  well, at least you were pretty out of it !  I had all four out about ten years ago.  was totally out of it once sedated and woke up once it was all over and remembered nothing, which was preferable! I didnt have too much swelling - a little bit, but it felt a lot bigger than it looked.  I stayed at home for 3 days on pain killers (co-codamol) and then was pretty much fine and trying eat normally.  I swilled my mouth out a few times a day with warm salt water to keep the gums clean and that really helped recovery time.

heh heh - I do remember the nurse asking me if i was in pain after I came round and me being totally up for the morphine.  Had that, then later tried to head off to the bathroom.  luckily my mum was there to help as apparently I set off down the corridor, then sat down pretty quick on the floor saying " oh god, mum, I'm so fucking off my face, fk, I'm totally fucked" etc!  she aint the sweary type - but handled it all quite well apparently!

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Backslash wrote:

I had two done at different times when I was in high school.  I was awake for all of it (the Doc used local anesthetic) and the second one hurt far more than the first because I don't think he waited for the area to completely deaden.  They weren't infected or anything, I just had to get them out because they were pushing my gums up into my top wisdom teeth, which was hurting a bit.  Anyway, I'm not a fan of getting teeth pulled.  The dude used a chisel and pliers in my mouth and had to put his leg on the dentist chair to get enough leverage to pull them out.  Terrifying!

ibelieveinaxl
 Rep: 4 

if anyone needs them out and is in the ny area, pm me and i will help you. my brother is one of the top oral surgeons and does this about 15 times a day....

I only had one wisdom tooth and they didn't surgically remove it, he pulled it but not really.   I was awake with a local and he used this metal thing and kept pushing it and pushing it, it was a very uncomfortable feeling and then it fell out.   I had alot of pain afterward tho.

To wake up during it yikes, I am surprised that happened, usually with General you don't wake up till they wake you up, he definitely didn't give you enough that's for sure.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:

I punctured the skin and let the suckers grow.

No really, I did. smile

Maverick
 Rep: 2 

Maverick wrote:

I got an x-ray or whatever where they showed I had two wisdom teeth coming in at a weird angle, and said they would mess up my perfect teeth if I didn't get them surgically removed.  That was like... four years ago and I haven't had any problems with them.  They still haven't breached the gums though, I don't know what they're doing.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Maverick wrote:

I got an x-ray or whatever where they showed I had two wisdom teeth coming in at a weird angle, and said they would mess up my perfect teeth if I didn't get them surgically removed.  That was like... four years ago and I haven't had any problems with them.  They still haven't breached the gums though, I don't know what they're doing.

They told me the same thing 8 years ago when I turned 18.  Not once did they ever bother me.  The powers that be thought it would be a good time to take em out, and rather than argue I let em do it.

Maverick
 Rep: 2 

Maverick wrote:

Huh, yeah I probably should have just went ahead and got them removed, even though they haven't bothered me yet with my luck I'm sure they'll come and bite me in the ass (er... teeth) sooner or later.

Board footer