You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: The Grand Theft Auto V Thread (Release Date Announced!)

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

One of the strongest missions of GTAIV was the bank heist. A throwback to Heat. Might've been the best single mission in any GTA game ever. To see them expand on that and make a whole game on robbery is a nice angle. Might've been even cooler had the game taken an ultra-dark neo-noir turn, rather than the campy aspect it's been for years.

Either way on the map, based on the trailers i've seen the map seems huge and basically expands on the Los Fierro map with the mountain range on the north, beach on the south. There seems to be a couple small shots of the small towns, and the jump from the plane showed a desert... maybe east of SoCal?

Either way it will be without any doubt a far more interesting map than GTA IV.

As for cameos, i'm hoping for an Axl return, and I hope Chatterbox with Lazlow finds a way back in, even though he was more of a Liberty City guy.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

johndivney wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

One of the strongest missions of GTAIV was the bank heist. A throwback to Heat. Might've been the best single mission in any GTA game ever. To see them expand on that and make a whole game on robbery is a nice angle.

this.
it was the strongest mission, & the heist one's usually are.
it's why i'm getting so excited for this. the ideas they're floating, if executed, should be exhilarating.

however, on the matter of the campy style as opposed to IV's dreary realism, i'm in the Ballad of Gay Tony camp (pardon the pun!). i think IV went too far w/it's realism, away from the fun at the core of the series. i think the DLC's went someway towards addressing that, but it was definitely a misstep for the series (not that IV wasn't, by & large, a brilliant game, it just wasn't as crazy as GTA once was.)
i can see why that approach does appeal to people, but i think it did more harm than good. people tried to dress it up, or excuse it as videogames moving into more 'mature' territory. but that's a misconception & an abuse of hype. videogames use different criteria to say film or literature. their 'maturity' comes thru the brilliance of the mechanics & gameplay, not thru plot or style: what i mean is Super Mario Galaxy marked another level of 'maturity' for videogames in the way the likes of Deus Ex, Half Life, Bioshock etc. don't. yes those games tell adult stories set in adult worlds, but that's not maturity in videogames. maturity is the elevating of the physics in the gameplay, not in the setting or plot, or behaviour of characters. know what i mean?
that's just how i see it anyway..

that's not to say there isn't room for the likes of Bioshock - it's a great series, same with Half-Life & the Deus Ex games, but there is a misconception they are somehow more mature than say Nintendo games or iOS or puzzle games. people place criteria used in other media to judge videogames & they shouldn't. they should be judged on their own merits. & GTA's merits are the freedom & craziness that bring the fucking fun, y'know?

i love fucking prostitutes then running them over when they get out of the car, or putting a bullet thru their head, or slicing them up.
in gta, obv not irl.
if the series lost that kinda ridiculousness it would lose me. bring back the hare krishna's please.

i was also hoping they'd bring the drug-dealing side-game from chinatown wars into the main game, but w/3 playable characters i don't think it's gonna happen this time.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I will admit I had more fun with Ballad of Gay Tony, and I remember saying to friends that I thought Gay Tony was a far better experience than GTAIV.

I think the biggest problem that crushed GTAIV's hopes of becoming a serious story with a serious narrative, was that the story -- fucking SUCKED. Niko was one of the most BORING, uncharismatic characters the series had ever seen. Claude said nothing in GTA III and was more interesting. Okay, I kid there, but seriously... where's Tommy Vercetti? Even CJ (whom at the time I despised following Vercetti), was better than Niko. The lead guy from Gay Tony with the Axel Foley look, was the best character of the GTAIV bunch, but wasn't the lead in the main game.

That's a problem for pushing a serious narrative. It wasn't interesting enough, and a Russian immigrant story was a fucking bore.

They should've played up the Irish angle. I found the Irish stuff to be the most interesting in the game. Think The Departed. What if that concept had been GTAIV? How awesome would that of been?

Their story SUCKEDDDDDD in GTAIV. That's what buried the seriousness. Not the seriousness itself.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

This is looking amazing. The beaches and mountains are a far more pleasing backdrop than the drab and dingy Liberty City of GTAIV, it just looks a far more enticing world to step into. 3 main characters could be an interesting dynamic, personally I'd rather just have the one character to play through but I'm interested to see how it works out. I think to have a robbery focused game is good, as others have said heist missions were always some of the best so a more bank job based game should be good.

I think you're right about Niko being uncharismatic Axlin and it certainly didn't help but I think by taking the more serious route they did they lost some of the charm of the games along the way. I must have played through GTA3, VC and SA countless times and enjoyed it each time, with IV I finished the game and never cared to play it again. I just don't think it was as enjoyable a world to be in as the previous titles.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:

I loved the original, GTA2 and GTA3 but felt that as the games grew steadily larger I found them less interesting. What I loved about GTA3 was the fact that I began to memorise the map the longer I played it. With VC and SA I would recognise areas but never really have a sense of direction.

I haven't played IV as I only have a Wii atm. Might consider buying a new 360 if the reviews for 5 are good, have to say it's looking great so far and I like the idea of a game revolving around bank heists smile

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

WILL YOU ARE THE FUCKING MAN!

Did you do the GTA V background? That's totally bad to the fucking ass. Wow what a suprise when I opened the thread.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

This is looking amazing. The beaches and mountains are a far more pleasing backdrop than the drab and dingy Liberty City of GTAIV, it just looks a far more enticing world to step into. 3 main characters could be an interesting dynamic, personally I'd rather just have the one character to play through but I'm interested to see how it works out. I think to have a robbery focused game is good, as others have said heist missions were always some of the best so a more bank job based game should be good.

I think you're right about Niko being uncharismatic Axlin and it certainly didn't help but I think by taking the more serious route they did they lost some of the charm of the games along the way. I must have played through GTA3, VC and SA countless times and enjoyed it each time, with IV I finished the game and never cared to play it again. I just don't think it was as enjoyable a world to be in as the previous titles.

I agree on the map. Bottom line, me enjoying a GTA game comes down to one thing and one thing only...

Can I make an epic jump with the car?

That's it. Real Dukes of Hazzard/A-Team/Hardcastle & McCormick/Fall Guy-type shit. Big 80's jumps.

I love that shit! Just taking a car and fucking destroying it with legendary jumps. I think with GTAIII is GTAIII had a pretty varied map, much more in comparison to GTAIV. Now granted the Liberty City of GTAIII & GTA:LCS is not as realistic at the full blown NYC of GTAIV, but at the same time you had places throughout GTAIII where you could jump and flip your vehicle, and once you got to Staten Island in GTAIII, there were a couple of places (one near the airport) and another cliff in the rich residential area for huge air. Loved that.

GTAIV dropped all of that and just went with a pure city. The only place for big air was the unfinished bridge on that interstate that you could just drive off. Not really the same.

I think the reason I gave GTA:VC a pass is because it was going for some throwback 1986 Miami Vice-tone, GTA:VC's flat, Florida tropical-city map was made up for in 'style'. VC is still the COOLEST GTA game to ever be made. The story was fantastic, it had an all-star voice cast worthy of a big picture, the writing was as good as a feature film, and the soundtrack was legendary. It also looked cool, despite the throwback mid-80's new wave with beaches vibe.

Which brings me to GTA:SA. And this is what I HOPE for "fingers crossed" with GTAV. GTA:SA was without a doubt the most fun, fascinating, kick ass, enjoyable, varied map in the history of GTA. You had mountains, city, desert, working ports, ghetto, big city, interstates, Vegas, San Fran (which in alot of ways was largely forgettable; smacked of too much ambition), etc.

The absolute first thing I plan to do as soon as I load it up is to drive up to the mountains and run off a cliff.

You just don't get that shit with any of the other maps. Only in California.

Board footer