You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: The Grand Theft Auto V Thread (Release Date Announced!)

Axlin16 wrote:

How do you figure it's not a flop? Sony's PS3 has been a FLOP it's entire existence. It never EVER hit the numbers Sony wanted, it was always the #4 console behind Wii, 360, and even the previous PS2.

Why would PS4 be any different? It's like a TV show that keeps getting renewed despite horrific ratings, because they want that 5-year syndication deal in the long run.

johndivney wrote:

well we'll have to disagree on what consistutes a 'flop', i think. using the Bono argument, i'd say all but one of my friends have a PS3, or both consoles like myself.

compared to the likes of dreamcast or the gamecube - or virtual boy - i don't see it as a flop.
in fact, given the succession of PR blunders from sony i actually think the machine has been a success inspite of itself - the high launch price, the difficulties developers had in getting to grips w/the technology, the hacking of the psn. for all the faults of sony's campaign this term the ps3 has still broke thru in sales figures & into casual culture speak. obviously not w/the same impact as the ps2 or wii did but it's still a 'big deal' & a clear & quick reference point in much the same way xbox is. likewise microsoft had a horrible time w/the RROD but the seemingly unrelenting power of the brands ensures they've both avoided being flops as far as i can tell.

but hey, you could be right. i just don't think you will be! tongue

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I will say this.... I absolutely LOVE my PS3. I'm a Sony guy. I bought a new one in October (the 500GB super slim).

I love what Sony does, regardless of whether it flops or not. I will always be a PlayStation guy.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Same here always been PS for me. I'd be interested to know what the sales figures are for the PS3 since launch in comparison with Xbox and Wii. I remember saying to Lofton at the time of launch I thought PS3 would come good in the end as he was predicting a catastrophe for Sony. I expect Wii will be the clear winner but then I don't consider it a direct rival of PS3 or Xbox, it'd be interesting to see 5 years on how PS3 and Xbox 360 performed.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Wii: 100 million
360: 76 million
PS3: 70 million (some estimate it at 77 million)

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Did it make a comeback? Years ago the spread between 360 & PS3 was FAR broader with PS3 far behind.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

It seems so. I remember the WII being far ahead of both and the 360 around 50% more than PS3.

PS3 came out very late with a high price. The last few years it has become a lot more affordable and that's probably the reason for the increased sales. It must have been crushing the other consoles the last years or so to catch up with the 360.

johndivney wrote:

well i never thought the PS3 was miles behind 360. only at the very beginning when 360 launched much earlier & Sony has always been playing catch-up but there was never a clear & massive distance between them that i knew of. always thought it was a steady race between the 2.

the Playstation brand always seemed much more powerful & ever present than even the xbox/360. at least over here, as far as i could see. i mean i know plenty of 360 fanboys but the more casual buyers bought the ps3 & the blu-ray..

the Wii certainly became it's own thing p quickly. compare software sales on the Wii (not inc Wii Sports bundled w/the machine) to the others & it'd tell a very different story.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

Yes the early launch boosted their lead enormously, but the PS3 at launch was still behind the "old" 360 in performance, pricing and good titles so it took a few years before things started to equalize. In the last few years however the PS offers so much more. Price is affordable, you get a blu ray player and it looks a lot smoother in the living room for a casual gamer. All my casual gaming friends went for the PS eventually. Nowadays it's not even much of a choice. If you're looking for a machine to just play FIFA or COD you go for the PS3. It has a more homely image.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer