You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: The Grand Theft Auto V Thread (Release Date Announced!)

Axlin16 wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Well what does everyone think?

I havnt got too far into the game, I'm only up to the scene where Trever walks into Michaels house, I've been playing it in dribs and drabs. I think I've spent most of my time playing it just driving around, the scenery in this game is mindblowing, its so realistic.

Only thing I'm disliking is the gun control, I find it pretty cumbersome, I've tried adjusting it various ways and its still clunky.
Infact I've still not managed to beat that scene where Michael smokes the joint and has to shoot the monsters, its doing my nut in.

That's been my biggest complaint. I think the gun system is cumbersome, and I also think the cover system is clunky as hell. Max Payne 3 was basically Rockstar's "trial run" of GTAV's physics, and I had the exact same issues with Max 3. The cover system almost always never works correctly for me. I don't get it. Red Dead Redemption was two years before Payne 3 and three before GTAV, and the cover system worked damn near perfect for me. Perfect. It has seemingly gotten worse and worse the more time has went on for these Rockstar titles. hmm

Not nuts about the invincibility of the police, but I guess realism is top-level.

Another complaint has been DISAPPEARING VEHICLES!!!! What the fuck is the point of dropping $20 grand in customizations at LS Customs on a ride that's just gonna vanish two missions later? Fucking bullshit, 'cause you don't get that money back.

I'm about half way through and the plot has been utterly boring to me, other than Trevor's stuff. Obviously Trevor is THE character of the game, and his stuff is always fun, but doesn't seem to have much direction so far. Wasting TONS of time on clunky mission setups, only to lose the money or the mission be "unbeatable" for the purpose of the plot... once... okay... twice? Fuck off. I just don't dig that kind of stuff. Seems counter-productive for me as a gamer. Why be invested in a mission is it depends on which one from mission to mission might be intentionally failed? Lame.

Other than that, the rest is pretty awesome. I haven't seen the "whole" collective story, but obviously looking back Vice City was the "movie" of the franchise with a very cinematic-quality script and enjoyable rememberance. I thought the gameplay for GTAIV was great, with the story lacking, and the real story being The Ballad of Gay Tony DLC, but compared to what i've been bored by so far in GTAV, GTAIV's story is looking like a crime epic.

The game definitely has a California-feel, and is way less dark, and more laid back than GTAIV.

The map is so insanely huge, you can't wrap your mind around discovering all of it. I'm still finding stuff.

Another complaint is that you can't sneak up on citizens with a silenced pistol and pick them off. Somehow they always seem to have eyes in the back of their head and notice you're pointing a gun at them, even though it'd be humanely impossible. That's irritating.

I still think I need time to soak it all in, I just wish there were more opportunities for big scores, specifically for Trevor and Michael. Basically they do a mission, then lie low. Franklin is a nobody and it seems everyone wants to do biz with him, which makes no sense to me.

The soundtrack is definitely interesting, but like GTAIV--again underwhelming. Although I think GTAIV was going for an accurate New York-style radio station in 2008-09, and GTAV is going for LA 2013, there's far too little rock, and too much black music (I don't know any other way to put it). I didn't know LA fancied themselves the Sunshine King of Soul, but there's like multiple soul stations, funk stations, to where it's like... you only need one. I get two rap stations, new era Radio Los Santos (from San Andreas), and Westcoast Classics (old Radio Los Santos). Radio X goes for a punk/metal thing, but I would've thought there would've at least been a straight up heavy metal station. Rock Radio sticks with classic rock, but an almost pop vibe trying to reflect the Hollywood-vibe with tracks like Don Johnson's "Heartbeat" (seriously?) popping up. Thought that was funny. Surprised Bruce Willis "Respect Yourself" or Patrick Swayze's "She's Like The Wind" or something by Frank Stallone or even Jon Bon Jovi's "Blaze of Glory" didn't show up, with with Kenny Loggins' hosting the station, plus one of his 80's cuts from Footloose on there just rounds out the Hollywood-vibe on the rock station. Surprised there wasn't a second classic rock station with older tunes, or maybe a mixture of 60s, 70s, 80s, & 90s. Love the first GTA "pop" station. Thought the song selection nailed it. I think Rebel Radio (the classic country station) is entirely too short. Just 9-10 songs on it, and has way too much repetition. Would've been nice to see that station fleshed out more with more songs, and like Rock Radio, the Hollywood vibe could've been continued adding such tracks Lee Majors' "The Unknown Stuntman", Vicki Lawrence "The Night the Lights Went Out In Georgia", John Schneider "I've Been Around Enough To Know", Kenny Rogers "The Gambler", Jerry Reed doing "East Bound & Down", etc.

Thought bringing back Lazlow & Fernando into the talk stations added nice continuity, and putting Danny "Kenny Fucking Powers" McBride on the country talk station was a complete masterstoke.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

I like it overall, much better than IV. I've not completed it yet just done the mission where Franklin rescues Michael from the Chinese. I am enjoying the missions a lot, much more thought has gone in to them even in the early missions compared to previous games, so that's a big plus. The downside is the story, which is weak imo, so far anyway and I think I'm quite far through? Just seems to lack an interesting central plot, the failed job backstory and FIB involvement don't really drive anything forward, or seem to really be leading anywhere that interesting (unless that changes later).

Character wise I like Trevor and Michael, Franklin seems like he was tagged on at the end, no real backstory and no real in game story either.

Other irritations have been mentioned by others, its a backward step in terms of in game continuity, cars you leave and return to a minute later have gone which hasn't been that bad since GTA 3. The shoot to kill policy of police even on one star is ridiculous as is the ease of gaining a wanted rating. Shoot one lone hitchiker with a silenced pistol in the middle of nowhere and suddenly you're wanted, run away from the police shooting at you and it's two stars. Seems overly excessive and reduces you wanting to commit random crimes, which defeats the point of the game for me.

All this said it is still very, very good. For me either remove Franklin or give him a better reason to be there and give it a VC or SA calibre storyline and its hands down the best in the series, as it is it's still got strong competition from both the aforementioned predecessors.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Though better than IV it's a lot closer to that game than it is San Andreas, which is very disappointing. You gotta wonder how they could put out excellent games such as Vice and SA within a few years of each other, while now they take 5 years to deliver a very lackluster product. The map isn't really that big either, and I don't feel there's all that much to do on it apart from the one big city.

It really should be simple: KEEP what worked in the previous games then add new content. The selection of weapons is laughable.

johndivney wrote:

Lets get a crew together in time for heists. Get a bit of practice in missions freeroam blowing up shit storming military base etc be a well oiled machine when it comes to robbing banks.

When the servers actually work.

Yea franklin sucked so over hood culture stereotypes
Story really dragged ran out of steam early lotta repetition before end
Radio not great nice modern psych selection but rebel radio & lowdown only real perfect ones
Missions quite typical online missions not great so far
Trevor's hall of fame great videogame characters just amazing
But it's the funniest thing I've seen in a long time it's great satire & hugely entertaining & explosive
Mr Raspberry Jam

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

The lack of actual interiors is really frustrating. They could have really beefed it up and let us rob stores and houses and what not.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Though better than IV it's a lot closer to that game than it is San Andreas, which is very disappointing. You gotta wonder how they could put out excellent games such as Vice and SA within a few years of each other, while now they take 5 years to deliver a very lackluster product. The map isn't really that big either, and I don't feel there's all that much to do on it apart from the one big city.

It really should be simple: KEEP what worked in the previous games then add new content. The selection of weapons is laughable.

Well I finished the game, and this says it all. I would call the "GN'R factor" on Rockstar. When they were delivering games within a few years of each other, they were -- 'Rockstars' --, and now they take 5 years and it's overbaked or halfbaked. Sounds familiar.

I would agree I don't understand the weapon selection at all. I will say I like it more than GTAIV which I was really vocal about, even on here, but at least they throw in more fun weapons in GTAV, but there doesn't seem to be alot of cohesive-ness to them. I played through the whole game, and only used maybe 1/3 of the weapons on the weapon wheel, and only used the knife once. Never used the nightstick. Previous GTA games had a purpose for every item, at least once, sometimes taking missions to unlock them.

For example, my favorite weapon was the silenced-Assault Shotgun, which was alot of fun. But... it worked better and was more fun in GTAIV-DLC: Ballad of Gay Tony. Those kind of things.

All of these reviewers talking about "there's SO much to do outside of the missions"... fucking where? Previous GTA games had mini-video games, pool, darts, races, and other stuff. GTAV has races, but they're missing the depth of previous games, and I believe there's darts, I could be wrong. Tennis is boring, haven't played golf yet, and Yoga/Hiking is considered a game? Well I find my zen blowing cops heads off, and my hiking is THE RUNNING THROUGHOUT THE GAME. Seriously?

Maybe I was expecting more. It's still a solid game, but I was expecting something to surpass GTAIV easily, and possilbly surpass Red Dead Redemption. Not even close. The game even at it's best just... never pulled me in like previous games.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Just finished the main story as well. Feeling a bit let down overall, I still maintain a lot of the missions were excellent and enjoyable but the plot to get you to the mission dragged and never really went anywhere, the story arc was poor and it's a real shame cos it used to be such a strength of these games. With the 3 characters it had so much potential as well. My other thought was that I think it was actually all a little bit easy, even the final missions weren't particularly taxing.

Agree with BLS on the lack of interiors as well, you can't even enter some of the properties you own. I'd have preferred a few acres less of endless (albeit stunning) countryside in exchange for some more buildings I could enter.

Some of the mini games are ok, golf is the best one, tennis is boring and darts is ok for 5 mins and I've not done yoga.

I think it's better than IV if for nothing else than it's a better looking world to explore. The observations of modern society are as sharp and witty as ever and despite my complaints it does look fantastic. The downside is that for a world that looks so textured and rich at face value it's actually a bit of an empty shell when you dig a little deeper.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

The thing that really irks me about the game is the cops. They used to just be a nuisance, unless you really wanted a fight with them, now they go for the kill for every misdemeanor. You're supposed to be able to jack cars, blow up some people and be a general jackass without the police swat swarming you at the first semblance of a crime.

My other gripes I guess I could live with, but this police aggressiveness really takes you out of the non storyline game. Maybe it's on purpose? Force you to do the story mode and collect the achievements, then on to the next game? Cause it sure as hell isn't much fun to do anything but the story mode at this point. Having major police shootouts gets old really fast. Sometimes I just want to cruise and explore without worrying if my fucking break light is on. This feels more like the real world, looking over your shoulder so they won't bust you. GTA is supposed to be a substitute for that shit. To get a feeling of how it would be to truly not give a fuck.

I remember in SA I didn't even do the story mode for over a month. Kinda just forgot about it, there was so much other stuff to do. Not anymore, that's for sure.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

And see that was my problem. It's kind of the same complaints people are making about Arkham Origins. The world is bigger, but kind of lifeless.

GTAV's world never, ever feels lifeless, but in most cases it does feel just kind of there. I never felt that way in previous games, and yes, regardless, the map is still superior to the dull Gotham that was GTAIV's Liberty City.

Like in Red Dead Redemption, there were so many different places on the map. So many different terrains, and so many different places to go. Despite the lack of people, it still felt full of life, even complete with random bandits and people trying to rip you or others off.

When this same aspect happens in GTAV, it's a distraction, not something to do. You literally have to STOP what you're doing, turn over there methodically, and rob the Wells Fargo truck or grab the purse snatcher, or walk into an ambush. It's work, and not random.

Maybe GTA is just showing it's age, but good story's always make games FEEL better. Like at Max Payne 3. All of that reinvention, all of this new stuff added to Max never before seen, but the story? Not even close to 2 let alone 1, and thus it's always going to be less remembered.

I actually think the three protagonists thing TOOK AWAY from the story of GTA. Michael's story was uninteresting to me. He seemed like a self-centered douche, which was the character. Franklin was easily the most likable of the bunch, by far. Seemed to actually care, and was obviously a new CJ, with shades of Niko. Trevor though was without a doubt the most fascinating of the bunch. Completely nucking futs... or was he? The whole put on act of a drunk, bisexual, pill popping redneck at times got challenged by Trevor's obvious love of those whom he considered VERY close to and trusting. The death of Brad (should've gotten played up and explored WAY MORE), the betrayal by Michael, and yet his undying love for Patricia, from a guy that would use and abuse any other woman.

All of this stuff was so interesting in a game, that was story-wise very uninteresting.

I would've liked the whole game to just focus solely on Trevor. I'm hoping any DLC they do (can't wait honestly to see if a better story pops up like Gay Tony), that the DLC will focus solely on Trevor or a side guy like Packie McCreary we haven't heard from in a while.

johndivney wrote:

fuck me what a bunch of litte crybaby bitches.
cruising around the city was boring even before the switch to 3d. once you've done that in a gta game you get it out of your system.
i only bother doing the main story & special characters. you get to explore the city just fine that way.

if you wanna fuck about & have a great time come online.
there's always something to do. doesn't have to missions or jobs or races or deathmatchs, just farting about in freeroam.

alto if you cant shoot properly or avoid cant escape the pigs then maybe you should prob join olorin & get a 3ds & some cooking mama games. gtao prob isn't for such a bunch of whiners..

Board footer