You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Axl Rose - USA Today interviews

Axlin16 wrote:

As far as the interview goes, I thought it was fantastic. It's exactly the kind of interview that I wanted from Axl.

I think it also was pretty much an admission of what we all had speculated for years that Axl wasn't writing at all, and that was the major holdup. It also was an admission and confirmation from Axl that in his youth he wrote about the things that bothered him and from a point of youthful anger. But writing from the anger standpoint after the implosion of GN'R and basically his artistic life was probably a minefield that took years to get to, AFTER the business aspects got taken care of, all of which was HIS problem because he had secured the name to protect his interests in the years prior.

I in my own life have started to understand in the last 10 years how fucking IMPOSSIBLE life can be sometimes. Where you have all the pieces together, you do everything right and it just comes out into this incredibly complicated, unjust, fucking unbelieveable thing you have to deal with everyday... and suddenly... your 3-4 years down the road and you don't know where the fuck the time went.

So I get it on some levels. I couldn't imagine it on the scale of being the biggest hard rock band on the planet, and the biggest hard rock brand on the planet at that time, and then having to deal with that.

History might ultimately vindicate Axl, but it'll take years of him having to talk like this before it happens. Keep talking Axl, i'm listening.

I also like his positive comments towards new music, because that's the only reason for this thing to exist, as well as he (once again) leaving the door cracked for Slash on the reunion. Regardless of what side you come down on, you can't exactly say in the last couple of years that Axl has completely squashed the reunion thing. So that's always a positive. He comes across as a guy still looking for HIS truth to be heard and validated, and until that happens he's not gonna budge. Rigid thinking is common in maladaptive perfectionists. Slash on the other hand comes across as a one-way user. Sorry, but he does. Love the guy, but he reeks of it. Axl is not gonna chase him, so Slash is gonna have to work a little bit more for it, and right now Slash has established his own brand name and until that changes or Perla needs new tits, Slash couldn't give a shit about what's going on with Axl, whom he's not been around for nearly 20 years.

Anyways, Axl seems to be in a good place which according to him is required for good writing.

So Axl how about a new album based around lyrics and melodies? How about talking shit about your record company? Worked for Skynyrd. And you're still technically working for MCA. 16

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

I think the interview was great.  Reading it, I feel that Axl came off as calm and collected versus the past interviews he's done where he's come off as brash and bitter.  This is a very large improvement over his forum post from 2008.  He sounds like he's come to grips with the past and is finally able to move on. 

I hope this means that now he can get to giving this band a real shot.  And release an album quicker.

The most promising part of this interview is where he talks about wanting to write the music and lyrics together.  That is exactly what they need to do.  Sit down in a room together and start throwing ideas out.  Just like with Appetite.  See if they can find some magic together.  It sounds like they all get along very well.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

A local DJ spoke of the USA today interview and basically said he found it hard to believe Axl was bullied by Slash n Duff. People don't buy any of that horseshit.

Wait, you mean a local DJ didn't believe what Axl Rose had to say?  You don't say.  Never heard that before.  Luckily I have Sirius and don't have to listen to those annoying DJ's with their wacky stunts an inane banter.  Needless to say, whoever this local DJ is, I could give two shits what he thinks or what he believes.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

After this tour wraps up there won't be a VR reunion, but maybe a GNR one. Yes, the door is cracked, the pressure of the HOF is passed. I think Slash, Duff, Axl, the Illusions core is all Axl "needs" for a "reunion" in his mind. I love Izzy, but Axl would go on without him per his own words.

faldor

faldor wrote:
Saikin wrote:

I think the interview was great.  Reading it, I feel that Axl came off as calm and collected versus the past interviews he's done where he's come off as brash and bitter.  This is a very large improvement over his forum post from 2008.  He sounds like he's come to grips with the past and is finally able to move on. 

I hope this means that now he can get to giving this band a real shot.  And release an album quicker.

The most promising part of this interview is where he talks about wanting to write the music and lyrics together.  That is exactly what they need to do.  Sit down in a room together and start throwing ideas out.  Just like with Appetite.  See if they can find some magic together.  It sounds like they all get along very well.

Yeah I think that's the most positive thing to take out of the last few years.  Axl's apparent healthy state of mind.  Following CD's release you could tell he was still real bitter and angry.  It seems like that is gone now, for the most part.  I'm sure it still crops up on occasion, but he genuinely seems happy, and hopefully that will lead to more positive things down the road.  Despite what people want to believe, they've made great strides of late.

faldor

faldor wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

After this tour wraps up there won't be a VR reunion, but maybe a GNR one. Yes, the door is cracked, the pressure of the HOF is passed. I think Slash, Duff, Axl, the Illusions core is all Axl "needs" for a "reunion" in his mind. I love Izzy, but Axl would go on without him per his own words.

While I certainly wouldn't mind seeing that happen, I wouldn't get your hopes up.  There is SO MUCH work that needs to be done to mend certain relationships, and the main principles want no part in doing that work.  So, we have this version of GNR, and Slash with Myles.  I'd get used to that.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I am fine with it Faldor. Just noting the possibility.

faldor

faldor wrote:

I hear you, and I'd LOVE to see them patch up their differences and share the stage again.  Even if it's only for a limited time, or one night even.  I just think there are so many hurdles to clear, it seems near impossible to me at this point.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I wouldn't be shocked if they all one day buried the hatchet and even performed with each other at some point. But a reunion? I don't see it.

Sky Dog wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I am fine with it Faldor. Just noting the possibility.

Axl would not do it without Izzy...that is a no brainer.

Board footer