You are not logged in. Please register or login.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

Re: Burton Cummings Axl/RRHOF Reference

I believe this might be the proper place to post this, if not feel free to redirect this bad boy.

http://www.vancouversun.com/mobile/ente … story.html

He's down on the idea of reuniting again with Bachman, with whom he last shared the stage back in 2009 after years of on-and-off collaboration. Without ruling anything out, Cummings said that with Bachman paired once again with former partner Fred Turner, another reformation was unlikely.

"That's doubtful now, because he's gone back with Fred and they're trying to do that whole BTO thing again," Cummings said. "We had a great four-five years of Bachman-Cummings, and then we were kind of gearing up to go to Vegas and he decided he'd go with Fred. We all lost some time and effort because of that.

"I will always respect Randy. He's an amazing musician and a wonderful player and we wrote great stuff together, but I really think the days of Bachman-Cummings are done. I wish he and Fred the best. There's no bitterness or weirdness, it serves me better now to be Burton by himself."

He was less generous in sizing up former Guess Who mates Jim Kale and Garry Peterson, who own the trademark on the band name and regularly perform gigs under that header with sidemen.

Cummings says he doesn't speak to his former collaborators and "probably never will unless it's with lawyers in a courtroom."

The relationship is so badly damaged that Cummings says if the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland ever saw fit to finally recognize the Guess Who — a longstanding snub in the eyes of many of the band's fans — Cummings wouldn't show up for the induction.

"I won't go if it happens," he said. "Just as Axl Rose could not stand up there, there's no way I could stand up there with Peterson and Kale after what they've done to the name ... and the next day, (they) go back to Hattiesburg, Miss., with some other guy on vocals and some other guy on keyboards and guitars. There's no way. So I'll graciously decline.

"What they've done to the name is a disgrace."

Even as Cummings describes his tense relationship with his former bandmates, he doesn't lose the chipper spirit he's carried throughout the interview.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

The funny part about this is he says he'd not show just as Axl Rose could not stand up there. Difference is, and it's a huge difference, is that Axl Rose is the Peterson and Kale in this case. It's Axl Rose who has tarnished the legacy and dragged the Guns N' Roses name thruogh the mud. He compares himself to Axl here yet Axl Rose is doing what Cummings despises. Funny.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Sky Dog wrote:

you could say Slash ruined the name by leaving/quitting....double edged sword...no one is "right"...except Bono of course.

Bono

Bono wrote:
RussTCB wrote:

Or perhaps he believes like I do, that Axl isn't ruining the name?

get real. WHAT has Axl done to maintain or improve the legacy of Guns N' Roses? Yeah that's what I thought. Let's not be goofey here we all know what the reputation of Guns N' Roses was before and after 1994 and if anyone wants to sit there and say witha  straight face that Axl hasn't tarnished the legacy well then holy shit pass me the crack pipe.

And No Sky Dogg Slash didn't tarnish the name or reputation of Guns N' Roses by leaving. It's unreal that after all these years some people just can't call a  spade a spade. WTF?

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Either way it's weird for him to liken himself to Axl Rose in that situation when Axl is widely regarded as being perhaps the example of somebody continuing to use a name without much merit.

I guess he must be referring to seeing Slash and co on stage performing GN'R songs with some (to many) random singer.

And although Axl is regarded as having tarnished the name I don't see where he's actually done it. His touring setup performs credible enough and whatever CD is, it in no way tarnishes GN'R legacy. Yeah, he continues to use the name somewhat dubiously, but he isn't using it to put out crap for a quick buck or anything like that.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

Yeah I found it weird that Cummings mentioning of pulling an Axl.

However, doesn't Axl have the most song writing credits in GN'R though? So I can see how Cummings feels that Axl is in his league or the comparison.

Bono

Bono wrote:
RussTCB wrote:

Again; your opinion.

In MY opinion, Axl has released one of the best GN'R albums and toured a ton, during which I've enjoyed a bunch of shows. So no, I don't think Axl has tarnished the Guns N' Roses name, nor do I need to be smoking crack to think so. Just because the general public has a different opinion than me doesn't make either of us right. It makes us having differing opinions.

And I'm absolutely blown away that you can be of the opinion that over the last 17 years Axl has maintained the legacy and done well with the Gn'R name.  that just blows me away. Fine like CD all you want but how on earth can you sit there and not hink Axl has tarnished the Gn'R name/brand.  17 years with one album that he never prooted and a revolving door of bandmates that he's never given a shit to promote  other than for a few weeks leading up to these vegas shows. Seriously man the comparion Cummings made between himself and Axl was competely off and it doesn't take a genius to figure that out. Axl is the epitomy of what he was bitching about.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer