You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Burton Cummings Axl/RRHOF Reference

Axlin16 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

My understanding is that...Slash didn't quit...Axl did.

Axl/Slash/Duff were involved in a partnership called GNR where they were equals.

Axl formally left that band, taking with him the rights to name a band GNR, then formed a new band called GNR where he was in sole command and with the object of recording industrial tracks...then asked Slash and Duff to join as employees. Slash refused.

So it's a serious case of perspective to blame that on Slash.

Let's say I'm married. I tell my wife I'm dissolving our marriage. Then invite her to be one of my concubines. She doesn't like it. And then people would say it's her fault we're not together?

Fair point, you're actually right. Slash was actually refusing to sign on as Axl's employee.

The problem is -- he already was. As soon as that band name was signed away by him back in 1990 (if you believe Axl), they were already his employees.

Slash quitting GN'R was more about symbolism than anything.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

you could say Slash ruined the name by leaving/quitting....double edged sword...no one is "right"...except Bono of course.

Slash is playing as guns n roses with a bunch of new guys. Axl and the other members of the guess who are.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Slash could still be in the band. He chose to leave. Regardless of whatever pressure. I think in the end he made the right decision.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

That's what I mean though.

It was Axl who made the decision to restructure the organisation,  it was Axl who decided to treat the founding partners and key songwriters such as Izzy and Slash as employees, it was Axl who decided he was now in control of all decisions including things that effect the musical line up and all members such as firing Gilby Clarke and replacing him with Paul Huge, it was Axl who took a band that was world regarded for it's classic rock and guitar based music and decided it should become an industrial, experimental and genre-crossing act.

So, sure, Slash decided to go but he did so after someone else made a whole lot of decisions on behalf of everyone first.

Again, if I leave my wife and welcome her back as a prostitute, if she walks out, can you then really say it's her choice to walk? When it's me that fundamentally altered what was working in the first place.

No one quit from GNR until Axl fundamentally redefined what GNR was.

Izzy himself says he quit because he was sober and because he was being asked to be an employee in something he created.

I just get sick of reading how the old band quit or left, when really it was that the thing they were in was changed.

Axl chose to redefine

Lomax wrote:
RussTCB wrote:
Bono wrote:

The funny part about this is he says he'd not show just as Axl Rose could not stand up there. Difference is, and it's a huge difference, is that Axl Rose is the Peterson and Kale in this case. It's Axl Rose who has tarnished the legacy and dragged the Guns N' Roses name thruogh the mud. He compares himself to Axl here yet Axl Rose is doing what Cummings despises. Funny.

Or perhaps he believes like I do, that Axl isn't ruining the name?

Russ, you'd be hard pressed to find a single person outside of the so called "die-hard" community who thinks that Axl is ruining the name of old guns.

Lomax wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Further to Bonos point...another interesting example is Baz.

Sebastian has said on multiple occasions that he's offended by Skid Row carrying on without him, that it tarnishes the achievements of their past, and that it's not Skid Row without him.

Yet he's best mates with Axl, who carries on GNR without the line up that created the success of that band.

It's perhaps reconcilable that to Baz what's important is the singing - so Axl has it, and Skid Row doesn't....but still it's curious...and I agree where that the Cummings refrence to Axl is actually describing what he doesn't want to do.

Baz is an ego monster. For him the problem isn't that Skid Row carried on without the singer who defined them, it's that they carried on without Baz himself in particular.

"Sebastian Bach is the greatest hard rock vocalist of all time"
                                                                     -Sebastian Bach

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Axl formally left that band, taking with him the rights to name a band GNR, then formed a new band called GNR where he was in sole command and with the object of recording industrial tracks...then asked Slash and Duff to join as employees. Slash refused.

Um, the way it went down (AFAIK);

- Early 90s. Partnership contract revised; if Axl quits, he gets the name.
- Mid 90s. Axl quits, partnership disbands, Axl gets the name.
- 1996. Slash, Duff, Matt, Dizzy, Paul become contract players. Slash quits/is fired during his trial period in the new Guns organization.

monkeychow wrote:

No one quit from GNR until Axl fundamentally redefined what GNR was.

Izzy quit when the old partnership was still in effect, though since the amendment predates the UYI release (I think), you could say Axl had already restructured the distribution of power within the band.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer