You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Re: Soundgarden Discussion (King Animal out NOW!)

Furbush wrote:
misterID wrote:

Looks like I missed it sad

check your inbox, dude...

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Thank you!

johndivney wrote:

tbpfh i'm a tad underwhelmed.

there are tons of great moments & riffs don't get me wrong, some really groovy shit & some epic sabbath stuff.
BUT i was expecting more. after thayil's work post-SG i thought the reunion would be more on his terms, rather than the songwriting of cornell. i am definitely more interested in what he brings to the table than cornell & i'm a tad disappointed that he sounds some what constrained - basically some of the songs should be much longer to accommodate his workouts. especially over 13 songs, the album does coalesce unflatteringly, becomes indistinguishable & samey at times, comparable to cornell's work since Superunknown really, rescued by the performance & ingenuity of the inspired band. they do bring a groove & a ruckus cornell has failed to fill since, & one that suits his vocal's best. for all the disappointment it is still great to have them back & there is a LOT to enjoy on here despite me wishing for more.
that's really my problem, it is good n all, i just wish they're was more, that they didn't think they had to stick so rigidly to the previous songwritery + metal riffage formula & let in a little more of that doomy/psych/drone bleed into the material.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Not a big Soundgarden fan; but I enjoyed Live to Rise at the end of the Avengers. May check out some of the snippets once I figure out all the other music purchase for myself.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

Was wrong about Halfway There, it's awesome. Is very much like Carry On but with a SG spin.

Black Saturday is great. DOTU feel to it.

Rowing shits on every song that has come out in the last decade. This song is proof that they haven't lost anything and are still capable of mind blowing music.

Ill post more later as I digest more, but put simply, these guys are showing everyone else how to do a comeback album. It sounds new, but like them. It sounds like they never quit or lost anything.  It GNR had dropped an album his good no one would ask for a reunion. This is what Axl should have done. This sounds like a cohesive and well put together album.

I just can't get over Rowing. One of their best songs.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:
Saikin wrote:

Rowing shits on every song that has come out in the last decade. This song is proof that they haven't lost anything and are still capable of mind blowing music.

I just can't get over Rowing. One of their best songs.

THIS.

the intro bass is my ringtone. 5

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Had a listen through really last night, and it didn't blow me away for a first run through.

But listening again today, it has grown IMMENSELY, and it sounds fucking awesome in parts. These guys haven't missed a beat!

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Not gonna post a song by song review yet until I've digested the album fully. Takes longer than this to give a full review of a Soundgarden album. 16

Here are my general thoughts so far.....

They should have titled this album "Deep Album Cuts". That's all it contains. There's really no legitimate singles on this record.  After Been Away Too Long, The only heavy song worthy of a single would be By Crooked Steps. Or go the mellow route with Bones of Birds, Taree, maybe Black Saturday. The label picking singles for this album will likely be a virtual coin toss. It has no Outshined. It has no Jesus Christ Pose. It has no Fell On Black Days, Black Hole Sun, Pretty Noose,etc. Its an album of Searching With My Good Eye Closed, Fresh Tendrils, Head Down, Switch Opens,etc.  The band stated they did this for themselves and the fans. By fans, I'm assuming they meant hardcore fans because this album has no songs that will pull in many casuals or bring in new fans. It needed a Live to Rise type song to do that. It doesn't have one.

Having said that, it's a GREAT album. Its the most unusual album in their discography. Not the best, just the most unusual. Not similar to any previous albums although its style leans towards DOTU.

My favorite songs so far....

By Crooked Steps(easily the best song on the album)
Non State Actor
Bones of Birds
Taree
Worse Dreams
Black Saturday
Rowing

ALL the songs are killer but those are my favorites. There's zero filler on this album. Only SG album so far that doesn't have at least one filler song(Superunknown is a masterpiece but I consider Kickstand filler).

I wish some casual fans or a few here that aren't really into SG would listen to it. I've always loved their obscure, deep album cuts and in most cases they're better than the singles so this album is right up my alley.

All the members are at the top of their game on King Animal, that's for sure. Its a tragedy that Kim and Ben wasted so many years in obscurity.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

Agreed James. This is not an album for casual fans. And I like that. This is an album that they clearly made for themselves and their hardcore fan base. Would love to see more bands do this.

Bones of Birds is another incredible track. It's very haunting. That song proves they haven't "gone soft."

I don't expect this album to do good on the charts. And I hope that doesn't make them not release any other albums.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I agree with James.

I'm a VERY casual soundgarden fan - love the obvious singles a lot but never got hardcore into the band's deeper material.

Picked this album up yesterday...and it's kind of lost on me so far.

Going to give it more time though.

Board footer