You are not logged in. Please register or login.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

Re: 11-21-2012 The Joint, Las Vegas (Being filmed in 3D)

smoke wrote:
RussTCB wrote:

On the subject of 3D, I gotta tell ya until recently, I couldn't have cared less about 3D. We bought a new TV about 2 months ago that had 3D built in so I put the Prometheus blu ray in just to see if the 3D was cool at all and I was blown away. So I'll definitely be interested in that aspect of this disc now.

Amazingly, music videos might be what sucks me in to the 3D thing. I've been praying for it to just die already, because I look at it basically as a "what do we sell them next" thing, after hidef flat screens became cheap and ubiquitous. Plus, with three kids and a wife who doesn't share my obsession with remotes being put back into the same spot every time they're done being used, I don't need a set of expensive glasses to yell about every time I walk through the door. But I've seen some pretty good 3D over friends' houses, and if my next set had it built in, I wouldn't be as opposed as I have been.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

Oh Russ! You're a sellout! The old band was the real thing! 2D, you know?
Nothing of this technological bullshit of 3D! How can they drag the GUNS N' ROSES NAME AND LOGO into a 3D Las Vegas show?
Come on!
It has to be something like Tokyo, in 2D, in low definition and stereo sound only! THAT, my friend, is Guns N' Roses. Today is just a bunch of highly paid employees and they DARE to release an album and now a DVD and call themselves Guns N' Roses only because there's Axl and Dizzy? I mean, come on! Why didn't they use Silkworms to promote the DVD if they are a new band? Why no Oh My God on the setlist? Huh? Axl's a loser!
Yeah, they don't release nothing!
And they dare to use the Guns N' Roses name? Like, why? Fuck Slashba man! He smokes only because Slash smoked in the past! And Tommy playing bass? Come on, he uses a 4 cord bass!! JUST LIKE DUFF! And they go on stage and play the songs? Like, the same songs? How dare Axl plays November Rain or Sweet Child? And Axl man, what a joke! He still goes on late just to mimic the old band!!
Fuckin' posers! Guns N' Posers! No Guns N' Rose. Fuck this shit!
/sarcastic rant

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
smoke wrote:

I've been praying for it to just die already, because I look at it basically as a "what do we sell them next" thing, after hidef flat screens became cheap and ubiquitous.

I hear ya - but I also see it as a good thing to *make* flat screens become cheap.

Like here in Oz it's always seemed like this to me:

There is always a $3000 tv and there is always a $3000 computer.

The price doesn't fall so much as what happens is you get more for that.

In 1990 the TV was a rear-projection standard def number, and the computer was a 486 or whatever.

Now the TV is a 3D LED, and the computer is  an i7 with badass stuff loaded on or whatever the hell the new chipsets are.

So like in tv terms, a couple of years back, the $3000 model was an LCD, then they invented LED, and that's the $3000 model and the LCD is then $2000, then they bust out 3D...and that becomes the top model...and everything else goes down a peg....

So to my mind the development of bullshit new tech is actually helping me afford the stuff I want, cos I feel like it pushes up the grades of the entry level tech by default.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
otto wrote:

And they dare to use the Guns N' Roses name?

Again...I support the new band....and I don't mind them using the same name.

I just get uncomfortable when they make references to the past.

The word "legendary"...stories of yore...history....THE PAST...a different band....when they "RETURN" to the ritz...when it's the first time 95% of the line up has played there.

At this point these guys ARE guns and roses and I have no problem with that.

I just feel it's awkward when announcers use those terms.

Not because this isn't gnr or anything like that - just because they're inherently describing a different time, different people, and a different thing.

It feels to me like when my brother in law calls my fiancée "Emma" when her name is "Emily" - it's like learn what the fuck is going on already.

I think Richard is a fucking kickass guitarist, I'd love to meet the guy, hell, I'd love guitar lessons from the guy, and I'll see him at any chance I get. But he's not the guy who used to cover wild horses with slash, he's not the guy who pisses on planes, and I'm totally fine with that, but damn if you start making it sound like his name is gilby and izzy it's just awkward for everyone...they are GNR but they are not the same GNR so it's silly to use words that refer to the past...or to say how it's a hall of fame band and so on when half the players are not in the hall of fame.

I'm not meaning to be negative I just find it socially awkward. To me it's like if I met bumble and accidentally kept calling him slash. It's rude, silly, and he deserves better than that. This current band is great...so there's no need to kind of re-write history and pretend they're the people who introduced us to GNR - they're fine just as they are - as the modern line up.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:
RussTCB wrote:
Scabbie wrote:

Hopefully this project will build some bridges with the label and give them more confidence in the band.

That's a solid line of thinking. I didn't even think about it like that. It'd be nice for this to be some sort of link between the two camps.

Working together is one thing making money is another. The band seem to be putting a lot of stock into this release. What if it flops? Does the record companies 'appetite for reconciliation' go away?

If GNR are planning a follow up to CD later this year(according to Fortus) this might be the deal maker / breaker.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

Of course it will make some money and generate some profit (as CD did), otherwise they wouldn't release it.

DVD market for concerts, specially BluRay that lose fidelity when ripped and downloaded, is still generating a good chunk of money for the record companies, much so that it's usual practice to release an album and then a dvd, because if the album sales are "ok" the dvd compensates it.

And don't forget that GNR - or new GNR, call it what you want - still has market on a lot of places. If you think outside of US they're still one of the biggest touring acts worldwide.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

monkeychow wrote:
otto wrote:

And they dare to use the Guns N' Roses name?

Again...I support the new band....and I don't mind them using the same name.

I just get uncomfortable when they make references to the past.

The word "legendary"...stories of yore...history....THE PAST...a different band....when they "RETURN" to the ritz...when it's the first time 95% of the line up has played there.

At this point these guys ARE guns and roses and I have no problem with that.

I just feel it's awkward when announcers use those terms.

Not because this isn't gnr or anything like that - just because they're inherently describing a different time, different people, and a different thing.

It feels to me like when my brother in law calls my fiancée "Emma" when her name is "Emily" - it's like learn what the fuck is going on already.

I think Richard is a fucking kickass guitarist, I'd love to meet the guy, hell, I'd love guitar lessons from the guy, and I'll see him at any chance I get. But he's not the guy who used to cover wild horses with slash, he's not the guy who pisses on planes, and I'm totally fine with that, but damn if you start making it sound like his name is gilby and izzy it's just awkward for everyone...they are GNR but they are not the same GNR so it's silly to use words that refer to the past...or to say how it's a hall of fame band and so on when half the players are not in the hall of fame.

I'm not meaning to be negative I just find it socially awkward. To me it's like if I met bumble and accidentally kept calling him slash. It's rude, silly, and he deserves better than that. This current band is great...so there's no need to kind of re-write history and pretend they're the people who introduced us to GNR - they're fine just as they are - as the modern line up.

5 THIS!

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

The production company is, again, promising the release to be imminent. Maybe this is the info Fernando was hinting at?

Good job with the GNR dvd.... LOL

Rock Fuel wrote:

Thanks, show looks amazing, It's now in UMG's hands, Theatrical dates coming next week

Rock Fuel Facebook

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Let's hope it's the real deal. I want to pick this shit up pronto! Far too long.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I just don't understand how Whitesnake can put out live shit like 3 times a year, ad naseum, but with GN'R... this cocksucker still isn't out. And based on the snippets, Axl vocally ain't that good. Maybe that was the hesistation?

Board footer