You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: Chris Cornell: "Guns N 'Roses were all normal types minus one"

faldor wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Bottom line is he wasn't properly respected in either band, and now what you're seeing is Slash on his own - and he's schooling both the VR guys and Axl on what he's got that they didn't seem to respect.

^ This 3 21

Are you talking quality of music?  Because that I don't agree with.  Of course, it's all subjective.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
RussTCB wrote:
johndivney wrote:

Agree w/all Polluxlm's posts itt

Cornell coulda just said hey axl give us a break but instead took the opportunity to trash him.. Doesn't hurt to be polite y'know?

This headline:
"XX Person Says Something Bad About Axl Rose"

gets your more press than this headline:

"XX Person Says Something Nice About Axl Rose"

Really??  Or are you just saying that. 

Making a small story on portalternativo.com is a whopper of a headline??

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
faldor wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Bottom line is he wasn't properly respected in either band, and now what you're seeing is Slash on his own - and he's schooling both the VR guys and Axl on what he's got that they didn't seem to respect.

^ This 3 21

Are you talking quality of music?  Because that I don't agree with.  Of course, it's all subjective.

Yeah, and while you may not like his actual songs, I think you can at least agree that guitar playing-wise, Slash is back to playing some of the best guitar of his career.

I was actually discussing with Monkey, that listening to UYI1 recently, I was hearing Slash riffing in there, that I could swear is not that different to some riffing going on throughout Apocalyptic Love.

So yeah, Slash is definitely back to being GN'R-level Slash again, at least in my opinion. 21

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
faldor wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

^ This 3 21

Yeah, and while you may not like his actual songs, I think you can at least agree that guitar playing-wise, Slash is back to playing some of the best guitar of his career.

I was actually discussing with Monkey, that listening to UYI1 recently, I was hearing Slash riffing in there, that I could swear is not that different to some riffing going on throughout Apocalyptic Love.

So yeah, Slash is definitely back to being GN'R-level Slash again, at least in my opinion. 21

Yeah, I've just played UYI I for a long time. It was disappointing. Some great songs, but a lot was... well, mediocre. I will probably make a discussion thread about it.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

That's the problem for me, and probably why I'm not as huge a Slash nut as some of you.  I love the guy, I do.  Clearly my favorite guitarist of all time.  But I know nothing about the guitar.  I've never played the guitar, even though my dad used to give guitar lessons.  Go figure that one out.  But I can relate to the lyrics and the overall song much better than pure guitar, even though I can't really sing either.  But you get what I mean.  So Slash's playing may be at a supreme level right now, but the songs don't have the same impact on me personally.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

That's because they're not that good faldor. These guys only get a nut on Slash's playing because they are SLASH fans. Period.

Nobody is gonna be sitting around and analyzing these songs off of Slash 2010 or AL and going "this is better than Sweet Child" other than a Slash fan, no different than Axl fans going on about Bucket's TWAT solo being among the best GN'R solos ever.

Slash doesn't have the same impact on me personally as much anymore either. Neither does Izzy, and I loved me some Izzy for alot of years, but i've reached the point where "samey" comes to mind. I listened to the new Aerosmith record the other day, and heard Joe Perry's playing and immediately thought of Slash. Alot of Joe's stuff was FANTASTIC on the record, playing-wise. But it was just Joe being Joe. And I thought of Slash. I think Slash is the same way. He just kind of plays and does really well and we all go, "wow", but Slash certainly isn't writing gold everything out of the box.

I would probably say Anastasia is the ONE, and I mean ONE track that you can take away from AL and honestly, without Slash fanboy bias, go Anatasia is something that can be held up instrumentally to the best Slash ever did. I think the same could be said for something like Nothing To Say on Slash 2010. He still can write those moments. But I have not heard on any level Slash doing anything "constantly" on a comporable level to what he was doing in 1991. He has flashes of former brilliance, because he can still be the man, but at the same time I think it's well on the backside of his career musicianship-wise. I think he has improved speed, but it doesn't matter. If what you're writing isn't as entertaining more melodically memorable... doesn't mean a thing.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I agree with most of that, and those 2 songs are probably my highlights on the solo albums too.  What's interesting is those songs are very different from each other and for the most part different than anything else he's done post GnR.

I've always said Slash's songwriting is subpar, and I consider myself a huge Slash fan (though some don't because I don't like his songwriting).  I love the way he plays and he's probably playing better now than he ever has.  At some point though, that's not enough.  There are a lot of guitar players that can play fast or play blues or play metal.  What always seperated Slash in my mind was how he could take something that was pretty good and make it into something great with solos and riffs that fit songs perfectly.  When starting out with average (at best), it's impossible for any guitarist to turn that into great.  Guitar just isn't that kind of instrument.  You can show off and do cool things, but at the end of the day you just walk away saying that's cool; you don't walk away amazed (well, most don't). 

Axl has the same problem from the opposite direction.  He can write pretty good songs, but can't make them great or special by himself.  He had a guy that could and he's still looking for the person that can (and will) going forward.  For whatever reason (fair or not) he doesn't seem convinced Ron is that guy.  Fortus has been around long enough that we know he's not the guy either.  I don't mind DJ's playing (especially on the old stuff), but I don't think he's the guy either.  As amazing as BH is as a talent, he wasn't that guy either...maybe Axl couldn't get past the crazy (ironic) to allow him to be that guy; maybe BH's strengths would never allow him to be the guy.  And well, there's Robin...enough said.

Nobody has been able to replace Slash.  Nobody has been able to replace Axl...Slash couldn't even do it with Duff and Matt (and Izzy part-time).  You're talking about two of the best at what they do.  I think sometimes we take for granted just how good it was because of everything that has happened since then.  I think sometimes we're too close to it.  I can't begin to tell you how much better I feel about all of it now that I've seen Slash and seen Axl live this year.  I really feel like it's all come full circle for me and I'm completely at peace with it all.  The only thing left for me is them make peace with it (reunion or no reunion).

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

I think people forget that Slash is just a guitar player. He's not Jimi Hendrix who explored the lead vocalist role. His voice is limited to his instrument and his abilities around that.

Every guitar player I can think of has a sound and a style that, no matter how hard they try, they actually become more like themselves as the years go by, right form the blues guys..Joe Perry & Slash to the metal guys..Dimebag & the boys in Slayer, Kirk & James..to the avand guard..Vai & Satriani....and even guys like the Edge.
No matter how much experimentation they did, it came back to their style.

Slash is a global icon in 2012, despite having left his band that defined him in 1995..that is an incredible achievement.

I also have issues with aspects of his work to date but if I'm to be honest, I'm just heaping too much expectation upon him because Axl isn't there to enjoy also.

Steak is great but Surf & Turf is even better and that's what the two boys were.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Not a chance. Even if you swap AFD for BMF there's no way SU + whatever else beats UYI. King Animal is alright but so is CD. Lies rival their debut easily.

Like I said, AFD pretty much destroys most albums by any band and even to this day they're coasting on it.

As far as UYI goes, my 2 fave albums of 91 are Badmotorfinger and UYI I. Almost a tie IMO, but UYI I contains a bit of filler/unnecessary tracks while BMF does not. Closest thing to filler on BMF is Face Pollution, and I'll take that track over RNDTH, LALD, and YATF any day of the week. Superunknown is flawless and the band in its prime(I could toss out Kickstand), while UYI II has some major turds(GITR, SB, MW) and 2 songs previously released that weren't needed except to fill space on the disc(CW, KOHD).

Lies rival their debut easily.

Easily? The Lies version of You're Crazy one of my fave GNR songs and probably Axl's finest moment on vocals in his career IMO. However, Beyond the Wheel is a monster track but its also my least fave SG album so I'm not gonna go batshit crazy trying to defend it. SG one of the only bands I can think of whose debut is their worst album. Louder than Love is def better than Lies though, which is the album to compare it to discog wise.

Throw in TSI and they're about equal.

Throwing in TSI does nothing. For comparison purposes in their discogs, TSI would go against Down on the Upside and no one needs to bother  making a case for TSI being inferior to DOTU.

it's not fair to compare one of the all time greats to an arena band. No doubt Soundgarden have a lot of fans and Cornell is certainly among the greats, but he's no Axl Rose. They were Alice In Chains/Rage Against The Machine level. For a time there GN'R reached Stones/Zeppelin levels of stardom.

They'll always be in another league than bands such as Soundgarden, no matter how many good albums they make. Axl and Slash are icons, SG is just Cornell and some other dudes that made Black Hole Sun and maybe Jesus Christ Pose.

Other than hoping my favorite bands have good sales to entice them to keep going, I dont factor in album sales and stardom when discussing the music. If we're going that route, lets just say Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey are better than both bands.

King Animal is alright but so is CD.

I'd like to discuss these two albums in more detail in a separate thread soon. Have you listened to the full album yet?

Gnr was just more popular due to 5-6 huge singles in a 3-4 year period.....and Soundgarden never had a Sweet Child O' Mine moment where you really affected pop culture.

Hit the nail on the head.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I agree with most of that, and those 2 songs are probably my highlights on the solo albums too.  What's interesting is those songs are very different from each other and for the most part different than anything else he's done post GnR.

I've always said Slash's songwriting is subpar, and I consider myself a huge Slash fan (though some don't because I don't like his songwriting).  I love the way he plays and he's probably playing better now than he ever has.  At some point though, that's not enough.  There are a lot of guitar players that can play fast or play blues or play metal.  What always seperated Slash in my mind was how he could take something that was pretty good and make it into something great with solos and riffs that fit songs perfectly.  When starting out with average (at best), it's impossible for any guitarist to turn that into great.  Guitar just isn't that kind of instrument.  You can show off and do cool things, but at the end of the day you just walk away saying that's cool; you don't walk away amazed (well, most don't). 

Axl has the same problem from the opposite direction.  He can write pretty good songs, but can't make them great or special by himself.  He had a guy that could and he's still looking for the person that can (and will) going forward.  For whatever reason (fair or not) he doesn't seem convinced Ron is that guy.  Fortus has been around long enough that we know he's not the guy either.  I don't mind DJ's playing (especially on the old stuff), but I don't think he's the guy either.  As amazing as BH is as a talent, he wasn't that guy either...maybe Axl couldn't get past the crazy (ironic) to allow him to be that guy; maybe BH's strengths would never allow him to be the guy.  And well, there's Robin...enough said.

Nobody has been able to replace Slash.  Nobody has been able to replace Axl...Slash couldn't even do it with Duff and Matt (and Izzy part-time).  You're talking about two of the best at what they do.  I think sometimes we take for granted just how good it was because of everything that has happened since then.  I think sometimes we're too close to it.  I can't begin to tell you how much better I feel about all of it now that I've seen Slash and seen Axl live this year.  I really feel like it's all come full circle for me and I'm completely at peace with it all.  The only thing left for me is them make peace with it (reunion or no reunion).

Board footer