You are not logged in. Please register or login.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

Re: Slash Mention on Howard Stern

-D- wrote:

Howard was peeved that after his interview, Slash's publicist called and said Slash was upset the GNR talk went on way too long and he didn't like talking about it.

Howard said a few days later, Slash called and apologized and said it was a good interview and he wishes he could take back the complaint.

kind of a bitch move at first.. at least he redeemed it somewhat.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Oh well, at least he did call back.  Stern just wants that Jerry springer atmospher anyway...

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

There seems to be a bit of that lately from the Slash camp. 

Although to be fair I know the guy has talked about Guns etc over and over and over again in the past.  He has done more than his fair share of talking on it compared to the Axl camp.  Though part of that probably results from the fact Axl has hardly done any interviews except for a few wand polishing exercises from Del and Trunk etc.

But, just as Axl can't get the Slash monkey off his back, Slah will also be inextricably linked forever to GNR and interviewers will always be wanting to ask him questions about it at the expense of his current work.  Those original guys and their roller coaster ride will always hold a fascination for reporters and fans, that will probably never be satisfied no matter how many interviews they do and how much they try and forge a new career and direction.

Yeah it was a good gesture for him to call back and admit a mistake and apologise.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I think the big difference for Slash, is that he should be in a position now, 16 years after from leaving the band, to NOT have to talk about it. After all, he LEFT the band, and aside from the recent HOF nod of recognition, he has gone about his way to establish himself outside of Guns.

Axl chose to keep the name and all that comes with it, Slash did not.

But that said, GN'R is the band that made both Axl and Slash the household names that they are, so I can understand why Slash will always be asked about it.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
Aussie wrote:

There seems to be a bit of that lately from the Slash camp. 

Although to be fair I know the guy has talked about Guns etc over and over and over again in the past.  He has done more than his fair share of talking on it compared to the Axl camp.  Though part of that probably results from the fact Axl has hardly done any interviews except for a few wand polishing exercises from Del and Trunk etc.

But, just as Axl can't get the Slash monkey off his back, Slah will also be inextricably linked forever to GNR and interviewers will always be wanting to ask him questions about it at the expense of his current work.  Those original guys and their roller coaster ride will always hold a fascination for reporters and fans, that will probably never be satisfied no matter how many interviews they do and how much they try and forge a new career and direction.

Yeah it was a good gesture for him to call back and admit a mistake and apologise.

Even if the original band was still together, people (especially someone like Stern) would be asking to hear stories from the 80s/early 90s from the heyday of drugs, chicks, etc.  Right or wrong, people want to hear stories from the time that they ruled the world. 

In a lot of ways that sucks for a classic artist trying to sell their new product, but it's the way it is.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Slash should've known better.  Obviously Stern was going to go heavy on the GNR talk.  That's what 99% of his listening audience cares about.  Sorry, but the excitement level about Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators isn't at the top of the list for Stern fans.  It's an entertainment show, not a hardcore music based show.  If he wanted to talk only about what he's doing now, you go on Eddie Trunk, or a show like that.  Which he DID do.  They're 2 totally different audiences though.  There's a reason you do all these different interviews, and it's to reach those different audiences.

Bottom line is, Slash has been on Howard's show a number of times, so he knew what he was getting into.  I heard he made those comments on the Opie and Anthony Show, somewhat of a rival of Stern's.  So maybe that had something to do with it.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I guess the thing is....

* 16 years out of GNR
* Has clearly stated is open to talking about a reunion but Axl doesn't want to.
* Given thousands of interviews on GNR
* Published a novel explicitly stating his policy on leaving GNR, reuniting, and putting to bed his feelings about GNR and Axl.
* Has made 6 records since leaving GNR.

You can see why he'd get sick of people asking - there is no news - there never will be any new news - and he's flooded the market with the information they seek.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

If he made those comments on another show, it may have been a proactive move to keep that interview from going there as well.

The other thing that popped into my head is that he may have called to aplogize, but for no other reason than he realized it made him look bad.  I'm not convinced his initial reaction wasn't how he really felt.

I think if you're part of something that big, people are always going to ask about it.  Add to that that the other key figure is Axl (more known for being Axl than his music these days) and you're going to get even more questions.  If you ask me (and the reason I would be mad too if I was Slash) people keep asking questions because they want to understand Axl, not because they want to hear it from Slash.  Axl is the great mystery, and Slash knows (knew?) him better than any other famous person that meets with the media does.  Sure, they ask a few questions about the music, but the rest of the time they try to get insight into one of the most difficult people to provide insight into.  I don't blame him for being bothered by it occasionally, and Stern is the kind that will keep pressing until he gets the answer he wants.  The flip side is that you should know that going into the show...

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Fuck off Slash.

You're not Dave Grohl. You don't have a successful enough act out there to do that. You're not even Audioslave.

When you suddenly join Pearl Jam, then you can say "no GN'R, or too much GN'R".

You're just not a big enough star despite what all your nutswinging fans say.

Guess what? Even Dave Grohl STILL gets questions about Kurt. Jerry STILL gets questions about Layne. And despite being a monumental worldwide legendary first-ballot rock HOF band... Pearl Jam still gets Mother Love Bone & Andy Wood questions.

Slash you will never ever ever ever ever not get majority GN'R questions. Axl still has to answer questions about you. Deal with it. Here's an idea write a hit song with a vocalist that doesn't suck.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

I guess Slash wrote more hit singles in the past 10 years than Pearl Jam. Just sayin'.

BTW he can write 10 hit singles a year, he'll be asked about GN'R. Period. I think his complaint had more to do with his new "no-GN'R and drug questions" policy, that Stern sabotaged.

Board footer