You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: Guns N' Roses Vs. The Beatles

buzzsaw wrote:

I've honestly loved the discussion - even the comments I think are insane.  Even though I don't think you can question that The Beatles are the greatest rock band ever, some have and they made some good points in the discussion (even if I don't agree with them).  I haven't seen too many comments that are just so out there that they are impossible to believe. 

We all like different stuff - some of the music I like people would find completely laughable (Barry Manilow for example).  At some point there was a guilty pleasures thread (not sure if it was here or at the old site)...that was one of my favorite threads.  People listen to all kinds of stuff they enjoy - does it matter if someone else thinks it sucks?  Do you enjoy it less?  I know I don't.  Other than having some fun with some of the more outrageous comments, I don't care what people like and don't like really - it doesn't change my life at all. 

All I do is make honest statements about how I feel.  It's not meant to bring others down or insult what they like.  I don't care what you like; I'm just stating why I don't like it or that I never understood what was so appealing about something.  I've just viewed this as a fun discussion...I'm not sure what the big deal is.

Which band is better?

Guns N' Roses 48%
The Beatles 52%
Total votes: 23

Lomax wrote:

Yeah you two are right. Gnrevolution is one hell of a collection of people, the range of taste on here covers all of rock and roll full stop.
And as far as guilty pleasures go.. I like the beautiful south, def leppard and meatloaf. I also like "ten" a little known melodic rock band that really are a pile of cheese but now and then release a gem like this:

I mean look at that album cover, and that corny synth in the background. I know that they are pure chesse but I can't help but love that song so much.

That said I stick by my VH comment. Too flashy for me. I stick by the Deep Purple comment too an awesome talent. Also I rate Whitesnake higher than GNR I would actually rate WS on the same scale as Led Zep.  I know that WS are corny and LZ aren't but I think their music is more focussed and I loose myself more in WS than in LZ. That's my 2 cents on it.

tejastech08 wrote:

I like Deep Purple, but they're not anywhere near Zeppelin IMHO. You also overrated Aerosmith big time. Those fuckers sold out in the 80's. 70's Aerosmith was great, but it is hard to ignore what they've done the last 30 years. Their 80's, 90's, and 2000's music is much worse than Van Halen, a band that you trashed above.

I agree they sold out in a big way after the breakup. Pre breakup they were amazing.  What in your opinion is VH's best album? With the absolute beating I'm taking here over my dislike for them, I think I better give them another shot.

metallex78 wrote:

I dunno, Buckcherry all sounds the same to me for the most part, and it all sounds really bland too, aside from a couple of ok songs
I'll admit that Lit Up was good.

Van Halen have dozens of catchy tunes, much much better than Buckcherry though.

Agreed they sound the same to me too but I still really get into them. They're a great band to play along with on the guitar too.

buzzsaw wrote:

I never got the love for ac/dc.  I guess they have a few catchy pop songs, but I don't really consider them all that talented and certainly not an all-time killer act.  Their songs are basically all the same...doesn't mean I don't like some of them, but I've always thought of them as average at best.

Me neither until about 10 months ago when I got back in black and listened to it the whole way through. It was an immense album. I really started to love them after that

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I guess I went through my ac/dc phase pre-AFD...that may explain why I didn't get ac/dc anymore.  I used to love Back in Black.  It's still good, and as I mentioned it's not like I hate ac/dc.  This might be one of those things that changed when I heard WTTJ for the first time.  That was a life altering experience.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Riad wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

I like Deep Purple, but they're not anywhere near Zeppelin IMHO. You also overrated Aerosmith big time. Those fuckers sold out in the 80's. 70's Aerosmith was great, but it is hard to ignore what they've done the last 30 years. Their 80's, 90's, and 2000's music is much worse than Van Halen, a band that you trashed above.

I agree they sold out in a big way after the breakup. Pre breakup they were amazing.  What in your opinion is VH's best album? With the absolute beating I'm taking here over my dislike for them, I think I better give them another shot.

The first Van Halen album is probably their best. I'm not a big fan of them. Really don't like the amount of synth they incorporated into their music. Even with that, I still think they put out better tunes in the 80's than Aerosmith.

Sky Dog wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I've honestly loved the discussion - even the comments I think are insane.  Even though I don't think you can question that The Beatles are the greatest rock band ever, some have and they made some good points in the discussion (even if I don't agree with them).  I haven't seen too many comments that are just so out there that they are impossible to believe. 

We all like different stuff - some of the music I like people would find completely laughable (Barry Manilow for example).  At some point there was a guilty pleasures thread (not sure if it was here or at the old site)...that was one of my favorite threads.  People listen to all kinds of stuff they enjoy - does it matter if someone else thinks it sucks?  Do you enjoy it less?  I know I don't.  Other than having some fun with some of the more outrageous comments, I don't care what people like and don't like really - it doesn't change my life at all. 

All I do is make honest statements about how I feel.  It's not meant to bring others down or insult what they like.  I don't care what you like; I'm just stating why I don't like it or that I never understood what was so appealing about something.  I've just viewed this as a fun discussion...I'm not sure what the big deal is.

Ha...I love Mandy....

jonesy
 Rep: 15 

jonesy wrote:
Riad wrote:

Yeah you two are right. Gnrevolution is one hell of a collection of people, the range of taste on here covers all of rock and roll full stop.
And as far as guilty pleasures go.. I like the beautiful south, def leppard and meatloaf. I also like "ten" a little known melodic rock band that really are a pile of cheese but now and then release a gem like this:

I mean look at that album cover, and that corny synth in the background. I know that they are pure chesse but I can't help but love that song so much.

Thank you for that track from Ten,  just from looking at the artwork I had to listen, awesome tune. I'm gonna have to check out some more from them!

Cheers!

Yeah, VH, not my cuppa, nor AC/DC.  Whitesnake though, awesome. This thread has been fun to read.

Beatles vs GnR, for me its GnR, although I love The Beatles. Rush though....I do love my prog, but for some reason they just dont do it for me.

That guilty pleasures thread should be resurrected.

smile

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Bono wrote:

Van Halen sucks. I've never liked them. Rush is even worse. I just posted a vide for shits and giggles.

Throw U2 on that list, and I completely agree. 13

Board footer