You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Re: SLASH 'Wasn't Disappointed' By AXL ROSE's Decision To Skip RnRHoF

Mikkamakka wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
RaZor wrote:

A guy I used to work with was a classically trained drummer, really into jazz, fusion, and prog rock. He hated Slash with a passion. In his words, ”that guy is terrible. Terrible!”. He then he went into a monologue about how he plays off key.

Now I don't know dick about music, other than I know that some I like and some I don't. I really like what Slash does. In fact I have almost 200 songs by him on my iPod, in a playlist I've since named ”terrible, TERRIBLE”.

But I wonder, is what my ex coworker said true? And if it is, why does it sound so good?

It's fact folks:

He complimented the guitar riff, but questioned the construction of the solo. "It just seems like Slash decided to play in A-minor or whatever key he wanted instead of doing what might be best for the song." - Dizzy Reed on Slither

Dizzy Reed is a joke.

This. What's next, Rikki Rockett will bash Jimmy Page? 14

Also, Dizzy's words don't mean Slash played out of key. You can choose different scales to write solo on a certain chord progression that would fit. The Slither solo is not out of key, for sure, although I think the chord progression doesn't come naturally from the main riff and the chorus. It's like an existing solo pasted into the song. Very CDish, if you ask me, so Dizzy should have no problem with that. tongue

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

It matters to D, though. So he should agree with Dizzy tongue

Oh, Ghost is the weakest song on Slash's solo album. Pretty generic and I couldn't even tell Izzy was on it. There are FAR better songs on that album than Ghost.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

I think the weakest song on Slash's solo album is We're All Gonna Die. While the song itself is a fun listen. The lyrics are crap and I wanted a more full octane rocker with Iggy. Ghost is ok for the most part.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
misterID wrote:

It matters to D, though. So he should agree with Dizzy tongue

Oh, Ghost is the weakest song on Slash's solo album. Pretty generic and I couldn't even tell Izzy was on it. There are FAR better songs on that album than Ghost.

The song is not very good, but it's a pretty cool riff with potential (gets boring around the 1.30 mark). I don't know about far better songs. Except for that and By The Sword Slash is incredibly generic on this record. Fergie and Cornell have a couple of decent verses (but terrible choruses) and that's about it. I was actually shocked to hear how poor this was.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I was talking more about music than vocals/lyrics.

The Ozzy song was more generic (all the way around) than Ghost, but even the Myles songs, musically, were better than Ghost. I still think if Robert Plant sang on BTS, it would be his best post GN'R song and probably a classic. I think Plant should have sang on Saint Is A Sinner Too, but that song is okay as is and is my favorite off the album.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

If it wasn't for Dizzy Reed, there would be no Guns N' Roses today.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:

Ghost would be in my top 3 fav from his first album

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Nothing to Say is a dark horse favorite of mine.  A guilty pleasure because I don't own much of that kind of music, but that does rock.

Gibbo

Gibbo wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

The bubbles sound effect almost takes the cake.  I just got a visual of Ron's "foot" guitar.  My gentle Jesus, that was bad.

Yeah and the effects at the end iv better makes it sound like your speakers are fucked

Gibbo

Gibbo wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

The more I listen to CD (the song), the more I agree.

Pointless. I think Frank added alot in places (as I just never got the Brain thing), but I enjoyed songs like Chinese more techno, I think Street was better rocked up with Robin & Bucket.

Ron nearly destroyed Catcher. It's still good, but it was great with Brian May.

Yeah iv been flogging catcher latlety i made a mix up from the moggs

Board footer