You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jonesy
 Rep: 15 

Re: SLASH 'Wasn't Disappointed' By AXL ROSE's Decision To Skip RnRHoF

jonesy wrote:

Well, you know, they both talk a lot of shit. I don't really take much notice, but the bit Slash said, where he said he "wasn't disappointed, more relieved" I just thought that I can understand that.

He may be lying in that he was actually disappointed, to a certain extent Axl turning up would have been a chance for some reconciliation, or history making reunion, or a fight.  But who cares now?  I don't.  Me?  If I were Slash, I would have just been relieved in the end.

wink

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
otto wrote:

By lying his way over the last 20+ years?

He's fucking lying in this interview, when he says " I knew in my heart it was never going to happen because I left the band in the early 1990s. I have never really had any expectations since then." YEAH RIGHT.

I didn't take that passage to mean quite what you have....I think it's in the phrasing.

I read it as meaning that because he quit in the early 90s and it's been 20 years without resolution why would it suddenly magically be resolved now for the hall - he knew in his heart that was a fairytale that wouldn't happen.

As for not having had expectations. I don't think it means he never wanted a reunion. I think it means he doesn't expect their problems to ever be able to be worked out. He left the band for specific reasons - such as Axl's late starts and the influence of handlers etc. Those things exist to this day and it's obvious even from the outside that they do. He also knows Axl's personality - that he's not one to easily back down, that he gets deeply angry and hurt at things that happen etc. He knows there's a lot of bad blood between them - these are all reasons you wouldn't have an expectation of a reunion happening.

Especially when he gave in a a few years and showed up to sort it out with Axl and wasn't admitted. What's changed for Axl since then? Why would slash expect to be welcomed back or expect Axl to come begging him? He couldn't even get a face to face conversation with Axl then.

So in short I don't think he's saying he never wanted a reunion...I think he's saying since he left the band he knew the chance of it has been pretty low.

Although, now, after RRHOF, and he can see nothing's changed with Axl, and now he has Myles, you can see Slash is resigned to doing his own things for life, it's why he entirely wants to put GNR to bed and when he does get forced into saying stuff about it he's more candid, and it's why he's pretty much put the breaks on the Scott-VR reunion. Slash doesn't need or want the drama anymore....maybe if he looses myles he'll come begging...but just now...he's playing good shows, making good money and calling all the shots himself. Why rock that boat.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Oh and as for relieved.

I believe that as it's known Slash hates awkward moments.

When they did the VR reunion show all the guys talked about how uncomfortable  it was back stage cos of what had been down.

Can you imagine how freaky it would be with GNR? Would Axl get mad? Storm off - attack someone? Would he be all smiles and they have to stand their sheepishly together? Would the new band play as well as the old band and Slash can watch them copy his stage blocking covering his songs? Do they mention each other in the speaches?

Nightmare awkward.

Even if you want to see Axl again...you don't want the FIRST TIME to be on national TV at a public event.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

I don't know, man... Up and until Axl letter, Slash was all over expecting a reunion at the Hall.
For him to come out now, almost a year later, and say he wasn't disapointed or act as "I don't care" to me is lame.

To me that is lying and that is being a revisionist.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
otto wrote:

I don't know, man... Up and until Axl letter, Slash was all over expecting a reunion at the Hall.
For him to come out now, almost a year later, and say he wasn't disapointed or act as "I don't care" to me is lame.

I don't know if I'd go so far to call Slash a liar, but I've always thought that he says what people want to hear or whatever paints himself in the most positive light.  He's really good at playing the game, that's why he comes off so well most of the time.  Axl is pretty much the complete opposite in that respect.  Some people could view that as a more honest approach, or he's just an asshole.  Maybe a bit of both.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
RussTCB wrote:

Regardless of whatever he said or did in the past, I'd tend to believe his thoughts on this particular issue. If Axl had attended, I think the whole thing would've turned into a giant circus.

And in hind sight, I believe Axl knew exactly that. But then again, his excuse ENCOURAGED it to be turned into a giant circus, lol. 16

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

It would have only been a circus mainly due to Axl and his camp. He is the aggressive one with the hate and rage. He is the one with handlers. Had he shown up we wouldn't have got what we did get.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
RussTCB wrote:

Regardless of whatever he said or did in the past, I'd tend to believe his thoughts on this particular issue. If Axl had attended, I think the whole thing would've turned into a giant circus.

Of course it would've been a circus, but isn't that what GN'R always was?

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
otto wrote:

I always take Slash's answers with reference to what would happen if he said the opposite though, like if he said he was hoping Axl would come and it sucks he didn't the headline would be

"Slash Speaks: "I'm still disappointed in Axl" - EX- GNR guitarist admits he Expected Axl to give into reunion at Rock Hall. "

How much shit would that start

I don't see Slash's answers as lies, but I think he phrases things in ways HE THINKS will minimise controversy.

And again...I don't think it's a direct lie. I think maybe initially when it was years out...Slash had considered the Hall a natural opportunity  for a reunion  - but when it became obvious that it wasn't going to happen in an Amicable way - when Izzy started being vague about coming (in private) - and when Axl's camp was still silent but the date was getting closer...I think Slash became fearful that it was going to be awkward, a royal cock-up - and distract attention from his album with Myles and began to dread it and what was going to happen - so when Axl bailed at that point it was a "relief".

I think Slash wants GNR to go back to what it was in 1988 or Not at All. He's not up for working in Axl's band on Axl's terms - and he's not interested in a reunion at the hall where they can't look each other in the eye. He wanted a real reunion but when it was clear that's not happening - he was happier to have nothing than a forced fake reunion.

Son of a Gun
 Rep: -3 

Son of a Gun wrote:

Typical Slash

Board footer