You are not logged in. Please register or login.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

Re: Gn'R Live In London Sat. March 2nd VH1

BLS-Pride wrote:

Did she ask you to wear a bandana?

I thought it was okay. Axl was decent. Defiently has been worse. Doubt vocal dubs or he woulda sounded better. The band from what I heard sounded good. DJ doesn't do it for me. Dug Ron's performance and always cool to see Izzy and Axl together. I enjoyed it. The crowd seemed to have had a good time as well. Will hold off til the full version comes on for any further reviews.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I like how fortus is getting more solos and stuff. He is a cool dude. I can't really hear shit izzy is playing either. Frank did great. Axl "was pitchy dog" (Randy Jackson). November Rain. That said, had he just done the 3 songs at the RnRhof, I think he would have been fine.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
misterID wrote:

We go to bed.

Pics or it didn't happen. tongue

You would've had pictures of me falling asleep watching The Cleveland show on Adult Swim, unfortunately 16

She might talk me into wearing my old school Macho Man Randy Savage bandana I had as a kid. That would be sweet.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Will say this he sounded bad ass on wttj

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
misterID wrote:

OKay, I got this on DVR so I didn't worry about catching it live. I got home last night during Mr. Brownstone. The young lady I was with (who isn't a GN'R fan, only knows them through the SCOM era vids, etc.) saw Axl and asked, "Who's that?"

I said, "That's Axl."

Her eyes bug out. Silence. Then she asks, "Did something happen to him?"

Me, "No. That's just the way he looks now."

Silence. Then she says, "I'm going to bed. Come in when you're done here."

But then she decides to finish watching the song. We got to Knockin On Heaven's Door and she says, "I'm like, mesmerized by this. I don't even know what to think."

We go to bed. End of story, she's coming over to finish watching on the DVR 16 

One big note. I couldn't hear any of DJ's solos in the songs. Not one. Like the volume on his guitar was turned down. I could hear Richard and Ron perfectly. I could hear DJ's SCOM intro, but none of this solos. Anyone else have that problem?

And there's no doubt that Axl can turn on the rasp when he wants to (she noticed it big time on Don't Cry) but is choosing to sing mostly with the high MM voice. Overall, I thought the band sounded ace. Every player... That I could hear. Axl struggled at certain points, which is to be expected, but I liked it. I thought it was very solid.

That's my review so far.

I watched it with a lady friend as well and she had a similar reaction to Axl.  She missed and preferred young Axl.  I mean, who wouldn't I guess.  She began to warm up to him as the show progressed, but I think that was more for my benefit.  But she too, is open to seeing more.  Again, probably more because I want to see it, but whatever.  I'll take it.

Another friend of mine text me as the show began asking if I was watching.  He was among the group of 10 friends I went with to their last show in Hartford and he's itching to go again.  He got quite drunk at the show, so he said he'd like to experience it with a clearer head next time around because they sounded awesome on VH1. 

GNR, winning over fans one at a time.  It's been a long process to say the least, but things like this do seem to be helpful.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

But at beginning of show camera was hardly on him and he sounded awesome. Then November Rain came and was shit from there on. Sweet Child was obvious overdub.

Man, that's a pessimistic view of things.  When Axl sounds good, it's an obvious overdub but when he doesn't it's the real thing?

Axl is what he is these days.  He sounds really good on some songs.  Not so good on some others.  There's no need to search for conspiracy theories on what's real and what's not.  At least, that's how I see things.  If they were going to touch up the vocals, I think things would've sounded a little more pristine.  Sounded pretty genuine to me.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
misterID wrote:

OKay, I got this on DVR so I didn't worry about catching it live. I got home last night during Mr. Brownstone. The young lady I was with (who isn't a GN'R fan, only knows them through the SCOM era vids, etc.) saw Axl and asked, "Who's that?"

I said, "That's Axl."

Her eyes bug out. Silence. Then she asks, "Did something happen to him?"

Me, "No. That's just the way he looks now."

Silence. Then she says, "I'm going to bed. Come in when you're done here."

But then she decides to finish watching the song. We got to Knockin On Heaven's Door and she says, "I'm like, mesmerized by this. I don't even know what to think."

We go to bed. End of story, she's coming over to finish watching on the DVR 16 

One big note. I couldn't hear any of DJ's solos in the songs. Not one. Like the volume on his guitar was turned down. I could hear Richard and Ron perfectly. I could hear DJ's SCOM intro, but none of this solos. Anyone else have that problem?

And there's no doubt that Axl can turn on the rasp when he wants to (she noticed it big time on Don't Cry) but is choosing to sing mostly with the high MM voice. Overall, I thought the band sounded ace. Every player... That I could hear. Axl struggled at certain points, which is to be expected, but I liked it. I thought it was very solid.

That's my review so far.

That's something i'm starting to see as well and personally do wonder if Axl holds back to protect himself for whatever reason. The fanboy in me thinks "the reunion". 'Cause it makes sense from a fanboy perspective. Axl knows that's a rainy day option and if he goes for the blow out retirement gig, he could easily go 1991 all over again and just make it a mammoth comeback. I mean, why waste your voice on Indian weddings, when you could be THE MAN again with Slash one day?

I don't buy it as a self-protect for studio work. Because Axl could easily just do take after take and piece together a lazy raspy song, and boom it's done.

I do think he just is lazy and gives when he wants to give because there's no real reason to wreck himself on what they're doing right now. jmho

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

His voice does sound better now than it did in 02. There is power there, he just isn't using it that much. I would love to hear him sing the whole show in his WTTJ/Don't Cry voice. I think the big thing is when people see him for the first time now. Over all, I think I was more critical of his voice than a non fan. yeah, he sounded different but it was nothing that put her off.

And after seeing the opening, it's clear: DJ's solo were muted out. CD, I couldn't hear anything from him outside the riffs. I heard Ron perfectly. I heard his DJ's riffs and rythym, but I couldn't hear a single solo from DJ. I still have to finish the concert, though.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

It's really strange, in that it seems like DJ's mix is something that jumps right out. Seems like it would have had to be left that way on purpose. What purpose, I don't know. I'm not reading anything sinister into it, but it's just jarring and odd.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Even on live era, the touch ups are not meant to sound like studio, but to sound "live". There may not be. Any, that said at times it look like the voice and video were not perfectly in sync. That could have been because of a number of reasons. He did sound great at times...  He sounded really good at the Atlanta show I went to. Haha, even if Axl started to do touch up, he likely didn't finish, which is why the first 3 songs are killer and the rest sounds weaker. Haha. Just kidding.

Board footer