You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Re: Eddie Trunk on Chinese Democracy

Saikin wrote:
Neemo wrote:

going back since 1996

slayer (2x)
manson
pantera (3x)
tool
megadeth
limp bizkit (they were huge back then)
foofighters
Rob Zombie
Primus
Godsmack (pretty big back then)
System of a Down
POD (big back then)
linkin park
disturbed
Korn
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Velvet Revolver
Avenged Sevenfold

so yeah some pretty big names have gone out on ozzfest

No one can say that Rob Zombie, Foo Fighters, Linkin Park, Korn, Avenged Sevenfold, Manson, Tool or Pantera aren't major acts.

Sky Dog wrote:

In the end, who really cares how much it sells? They will never outsell the old band so that is a moot point. The only thing that matters is that it sells enough to release a second record. Personally, I just want to hear all of what took 10 years to complete.:peace:

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

CD will never sell as much as ANYONE, even James perhaps, estimates. Downloading, whatever you think of it, is gonna put a serious dent in its sales. End of story.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

It will break a million within the first two weeks of sales. After that I see it fading off before it reaches 4-5 million. That's over time. First week sales will be big. Other acts proved that selling 750,000 plus units can be done in the first week. Now a days thats a big number. Anyone expecting more is foolish.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Sic....

The early 06 comments from Axl regarding the album can be interpreted in many ways. Axl is smart. He speaks like a politician.

"We're working on thirty-two songs, and twenty-six are nearly done," he says. Of those, thirteen are slated for the final album."

I don't see anything in these comments to suggest either a double album or a trilogy. Interesting numbers though. 13 songs, and if each song has two versions recorded, it brings us to 26. Better supposedly has three versions(normal leak, synth version, and the acoustic not yet heard). The Blues also has three versions. If only four more songs have 3 different versions, we are now at Axl's magic number 32.

That scenario isn't a stretch. Its just as likely(more likely in my opinion) as there being 32 different songs. As I mentioned earlier, GNR keep going back to the same well too many times for their to be this huge amount of material to work with.

I'm sure there are various old demos and song fragments that have been scrapped at some point, but this doesn't suggest that a bunch of songs have been completed.

I don't think there was ever a ton of material to begin with. When you have to neuter a song like The Blues twice, I think it shows you are working within a very limited scope.

So, to try and keep this discussion in line with the original intent, how do you market an album that will most likely consist of 60-70% of songs your own fanbase is burnt out on? How do you make casual fans have incentive to buy it when those same songs have been available online for years?

There's no mystery left. ANYBODY who has even a passing interest in this soap opera has heard these songs. Type in Chinese Democracy at any torrent/p2p site and you get everything thats available.

These songs aren't something given to gnr communities for our loyalty. This shit is widely available, and there isn't any sort of public outcry to release this album. You don't hear anything about this material outside of GNR fansites.

If anyone wants to do an experiment, go post all the demos at 10 non GNR websites and watch the reaction. Don't be surprised if it gets zero posts and only a couple views.

Universal is up shit creek without a paddle, and they know it. Other than a few thousand online peeps, nobody cares.

Sorry if this seems a bit rushed. I'm posting while watching the Pats-Jags game.:haha:

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:
sic. wrote:

Wow.

Fast night at GNRE. I'll go back to where I left, I reckon I have more to say there.

The GNR message boards are flooded as the most eager response is met within the confinement of whatever quarters all the downloading motherfuckers are situated within.

Great post, as always 22

If any of you haven't read Trents comments about being a musician in the crumbling music industry I suggest you do. Whilst Saul Williams is not even close to being a household name like GNR is/was, the numbers speak for themselves.

Trent Reznor wrote:

As of 1/2/08:
154,449 people chose to download Saul's new record.
28,322 of those people chose to pay $5 for it, meaning:
18.3% chose to pay.

http://www.nin.com/

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

^ And you can bet Chinese Democracy's sale price won't be a measly 5 dollars.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:
Communist China wrote:

^ And you can bet Chinese Democracy's sale price won't be a measly 5 dollars.

If Axl was in a position to offer this album for only a $5 download price, which he isn't given the costs already involved presumably, I doubt he would even get 20% of the fans paying. I'm all for Axl and new-GNR but I'm also realistic.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

The album will not sell 8 million

If Linkin Park can do that in the US alone, why is it impossible for Guns N' Roses to sell 8 million World Wide... ?

Linkin Park's newest album has only sold 2 million and it has been pretty popular. They sold 10 million back before record sales completely tanked with their debut Hybrid Theory. That was 2000. The industry has changed a lot since then.

Backslash wrote:

Once the new AC/DC and Metallica albums come out, we might be able to get a clearer indication of how sales would be for GNR in today's industry.  The bands have similar target consumers and are each coming off long delays between albums.  Until those numbers come in, it'll be difficult to gauge record sales, as the industry has changed a lot even in the past two or three years.

I think it can easily be argued that they don't have similar target customers. GN'R is now a fleshed out version of the UYI epic songs like "November Rain" and "Estranged." Axl has complete control over the band now. Slash, Duff, and Matt took quite a few of the hard rock GN'R fans with them when they formed VR. Do we all love the hard rock by GN'R? Hell yeah, but we also appreciate Axl's unique talent (one of the most unique voices in pop music). However, the GN'R sound is not anywhere near as hard as it was in the 80's or hell even on some of the UYI songs like Perfect Crime and so on. VR is far more similar to AC/DC and Metallica than the new version of GN'R.

Neemo wrote:
bucketfoot wrote:

Ozzy didn't have the biggest rock band of the late 80s and early 90s.

no but he was pretty close....

no more tears has gone like 4-5 times platinum and UYI went like 6-7 times platinum (In the USA)

Both UYI albums are certified 7x platinum. That's 14 million albums sold at the same frickin' time. Still not as huge as Appetite, which sold 15 million in the U.S. Hell, Sabbath was never even that popular, let alone Ozzy on his own. Still though, I think you are right that Chinese Democracy will struggle. It's a completely different time. The option is available to download stuff for free even if you do want to buy it, just to make sure it's a good product. In the past, you might pay $15 and feel completely ripped off by the album you just bought. That no longer exists, and many people who download don't even bother buying so that causes even more harm to sales in the industry.

Someone in this thread said that GN'R needs to put out music that is ground-breaking in order to reach the heights of old GN'R in sales. All I'll say is CD could be the best album ever made and it won't come anywhere near Appetite numbers or even UYI1 or UYI2. Hell, the Beatles couldn't get an album to sell 15 million copies in today's time. It's just the way of the world now. If you sell 2 million you're doing very good. 3-4 million is the new 10 million in my opinion.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer