You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Your Opinions on a Axl/Slash Reconciliation

monkeychow wrote:

yeah but I highly doubt it was stockdale who put the mojo in that track.

Sure he made some changes I bet, like how myles has added some of his stuff to the songs he does with Slash.

But at the end of the day it's slash who brings the guitar magic to stuff he works on.

Axl could bring just as much as Stockdale did - or at least would if it was 80s Axl who worked on guitar songs.

That's my point - Slash's solo works are littered with riffs that are really similar to UYI style rockers - the only difference is the people he works with.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

THAT'S NOT WHAT I'M SAYING. People keep talking about "an Axl version of By The Sword" like it's a simple case of cutting Stockdale out and pasting Axl lyrics over the existing guitar parts, as would've been the case with the old Snakepit riffs. But BTS was co-written with Stockdale and the chord structure/riff altered in the process – an Axl version would be based on the original track that Slash sent over to Stockdale. It would be an entirely different song. And we don't know what that early version of the By The Sword backing track sounded like.

Here's an ad for Gibson back in 2008 featuring Slash noodling, and he plays the By The Sword riff pretty close to how it appeared 2 years later on the Slash 2010 album.

The only thing I think Stockdale brought was some chord changes for the chorus.

But you can see from the video above, Slash pretty much has the bare bones of the song right here, composed all by HIM. 21 3

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Very cool to hear that info! Pure talent! 21

johndivney wrote:

Bump

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

THAT'S NOT WHAT I'M SAYING. People keep talking about "an Axl version of By The Sword" like it's a simple case of cutting Stockdale out and pasting Axl lyrics over the existing guitar parts, as would've been the case with the old Snakepit riffs. But BTS was co-written with Stockdale and the chord structure/riff altered in the process – an Axl version would be based on the original track that Slash sent over to Stockdale. It would be an entirely different song. And we don't know what that early version of the By The Sword backing track sounded like.

Here's an ad for Gibson back in 2008 featuring Slash noodling, and he plays the By The Sword riff pretty close to how it appeared 2 years later on the Slash 2010 album.

The only thing I think Stockdale brought was some chord changes for the chorus.

But you can see from the video above, Slash pretty much has the bare bones of the song right here, composed all by HIM. 21 3

Correct. Stock sale changed the chords in the chorus. But the main song was slash. Plus stockdale wrote the lyrics. So he did cowrite.

johndivney wrote:

Hope they play Sorry. But later in the set than 4th or 5th song.
That used to completely kill crowd. Well the opposite happened in Dublin 08 or 09 when they started bottling the stage when Sorry started!

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:

Axl was probably saying the "wait and see" thing to see how interested/desperate Slash was to jam with him again. Slash didn't do himself any favors in questioning why Dizzy (and Matt) were being inducted. I don't think Slash wants it that bad anymore, if at all. He certainly didn't make any moves otherwise. I'm sure if there is a reunion, of whatever sort, there will be legal strings attached on Axl's end. And I doubt either of them want a reunion at this point.

You nailed it... Hehe

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Sorry in a reunion set list? Doubtful. Axl singing some of those lines while standing next to Slash would make everyone including the band cringe.

Maybe one time as a joke. Axl sings....."You know where to put your....."

Slash walks up to the mic and sings....."Just shut up and sing......"

That used to completely kill crowd.

I believe it. Would kill the flow/vibe in any set list.

johndivney wrote:

I wonder what legal strings are attached tho.. It's a weird setup no doubt. Hard to imagine Axl rolling up @ 5 to 11 & Slash & Duff going, 'alright Boss, ready to go?"

Been listening/watching this tonight & Axl is on wobbly form which is a good night for him

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Haha...I was so wrong in the start of this thread about them never reuniting...guess I took Axl at his word on the "one of us will die" stuff...and damn...it's hard to know what will happen when everything is a secret!

But these recent photoshops of Axl/Slash/Duff together really get the blood flowing.

What do you guys think the setlist will be like?

A return to a UYI setlist? More like the CD era setlists but with less CD? The same as the CD era setlists including CD? Some sort of setlist that also includes solo stuff of the others? Brand new tracks? Or just "The Seeker" over and over?

Board footer