You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: Your Opinions on a Axl/Slash Reconciliation

metallex78 wrote:

I would hope for a 3 hour performance of a big range of everything pre-CD, as Slash has nothing to do with that album, and really, he should stay away from it.

I'd hope for hits, with some deep cuts, and even seldom played UYI and TSI tracks thrown in, and of course, a new song or two, if they're working on them.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

Agreed some deep cuts of UYI and even some TSI tunes would be great.

While they are at it get Del or those Brazilian nuts to earn their keep by getting some old stuff out of the vault to release like UYI footage, demos etc etc etc.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I wonder if Slash will dish up anything new for his solo spot too, or whether he just busts out the Godfather theme. I always liked the Wild Horses jam him and Gilby did too. Thinking about all this stuff gets me pretty pumped for Vegas...!!!

AtariLegend wrote:

Most of Appetite with November Rain, Patience, You Could Be Mine, Live & Let Die, Knockin On' Heaven's Door Estranged + So Fine or Attitude for Duff to fill time while Axl's off stage, 14 years at shows Izzy shows up... This I Love and take your pick from 2-3 Chinese Democracy tracks either Better, Street of Dreams, There Was A Time (Hopefully), Madasgacar.

Rarely they might play Used To Love Her.

Hopefully tracks like "The Seeker" or any of the other covers get dropped for UYI deep cuts. Maybe Perfect Crime that used to be in the 07 set list, but never played or maybe Double Talkin Jive? This is wishful thinking.

Don't think they'll play either Coma or Ain't It Fun or Get In The Ring or Don't Damn Me.

Maybe, just maybe (I wouldn't expect it) they'll play "Fall To Pieces" or "Slither". I don't think they'll play both and I'd be absolutely shocked if they played anything other than one of those two if at all.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

They could do Get in the Ring and Axl could replace the writers he blasts with ex managers and producers.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I think the set list will be the same with the same CD tracks.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Don't Damn Me would require Major Balls to try and pull off. Axl may never sing again if it tried that one lol.

johndivney wrote:
misterID wrote:

I think the set list will be the same with the same CD tracks.

p much this i think also.

im curious tho how much sway slash'll have on the set. i figured the last couple of tours the set was mainly built around what axl could manage to sing (even if he has to include hits like YCBM which he can't do justice too sadly).

we'll see how it goes. just no mickey mouse is really the best i'm hoping for then the setlist & performance worries can come after.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

"Watch This" when Axl is taking a breather. Grohl can be a special guest at a show and handle drums.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
johndivney wrote:

i figured the last couple of tours the set was mainly built around what axl could manage to sing

I've thought this for a while too.

It seems to me the setlist the past few years is built around the major radio hits a casual would demand in band of GNR's age: YCBM, Sweet Child, Jungle, KOHD etc.

Then all other songs are chosen so as to be the least demanding of the GNR catalogue - I would assume because of vocal strain for Axl.

There's very little variance from those songs too except occasionally when Axl seems to be having a strong night they might bust out some of the more challenging vocal stuff like TWAT etc.

It's notable to me as well that the covers they choose are also pretty safe vocally. Like the Ac/Dc songs are a sensible choice as the they have a classic rock vibe that isn't out of place in the show, and although they're raspy they don't involve highs - it's almost more spoken - so much easier - also the two choices 'Riff Raff' and 'Whole Lot of Rosie" are both songs with short vocal parts then long/multiple guitar solos to rest Axl's voice.

Similarly "The Seeker" allows Axl to sing clean with no need for screams etc.

So i've been thinking, i could write up my dream setlist of the deep cuts from UYI and CD that I want them to play - but I think at this stage it might be more about which songs they still can play without significant vocal strain. Can't even blame Axl for that - the GNR songs have always been intense vocally - I think he really put his all into them back when he wrote them - even the CD songs are nightmarish vocally to perform for the most part.

Board footer