You are not logged in. Please register or login.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

Re: Pretty cool video interview with Fortus

apex-twin wrote:

But to muddle things further:

3. BETTER
(Rose, Finck)

Guitars: Robin Finck, Paul Tobias, Richard Fortus, Buckethead, Ron “Bumblefoot” Thal

- liner notes

"I think that we’ll go on to write some very interesting things with Richard and he’s already done some rhythm work and some leads on the album." (Axl, 2002 Tour Press Release)

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

I like TWAT and it's one of the big guns of the album for me. The other is TIL (except the guitar solo).

My point is that CD, SoD and Madagascar are so far better songs than Prostitute or ITW, that Axl couldn't be serious thinking otherwise. Also, those are the songs he played a lot in the past 13 years. CD and SoD were even singles from the album - just to contradict his 2002 self. Would you release your B-cathegory songs as singles, and none of the ones you believe "big guns"?

Great question...although i really like ITW more than CD...but I see what you're saying generally....but we can say the statement doesn't refer to those singles as he specifically mentioned not the songs they were doing live....so at 2002 that would exclude CD, SOD, Maddy, Silkworms and OMG (if you count OMG for the potential redux version).

Unless I'm wrong about the quote...I think he said in 2002:

"We do about four or five songs that we've done at the various shows ... but we're still holding our big guns back..."

So in 2002, they'd never performed either TWAT or TIL live both of which could be considered pretty strong, and if this thread is right that better was created sometime around 2002-3 then it's possible he was actually referring to that..maybe he'd realised in was potentially radio friendly.

Or maybe there is yet something else being held back.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Oh...I also think it'd be fair to list Catcher....totally unheard in 2002, and very strong songwriting.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

elevendayempire wrote:

The really sad thing for me is that we'll never get to hear Fortus and Slash together – I reckon Fortus' choppy rhythm parts and country picking would mesh really well with Slash's blues-rock stylings. Plus he has killer stage presence.

In my fantasy land, I picture Axl getting a voice trainer and getting back to his 2006 form, with Fortus and Slash on guitars, Duff on bass, Ferrer on drums and Mother Goose and Dizzy on the keys. And Izzy writing and guesting occasionally. That'd be an awesome band.

Just found this old thread... well, I wasn't far off.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

Wow unreal! Woulda lost the big bucks on the parlay because of mother goose but still, wow.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

It's so discouraging reading Apex's posts about timelines of the songs.

Imagine them actually releasing the album in 2002. The what-if scenarios depress me.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

FlashFlood wrote:

Wow unreal! Woulda lost the big bucks on the parlay because of mother goose but still, wow.

I mean I'm going to take full credit for the reunion, obviously.

johndivney wrote:

Chris Pitman.. what a fuckin numpty.

Board footer