You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: Poll: Best Metallica '95-'08 Era Album?

metallex78 wrote:

Lulu is so bad, that even such a big Metallica nut as me couldn't bring myself to listen to it all. It's the one Metallica-related album I don't own.

What's The Best Metallica '95-'08 Era Album?

Load 18%
ReLoad 27%
Garage Inc. 27%
S&M 0%
Death Magnetic 27%
St. Anger 0%
Lulu 0%
Total votes: 11
Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I would've voted for Garage, Inc. had it been on here. Despite them being covers, I thought it was pretty cohesive, and very Metallica. It came out just as I started high school, and everytime I hear Whiskey In The Jar, I get a little teary-eyed, might quite possibly be my high school anthem.

But out of those -- Load. Just a solid record, their UYI I, and has alot of memorable Metallica classics, despite the obvious blues-hard rock direction the band took. Reload wasn't as good, St. Anger... really?, Death Magnetic was a return of sorts to Justice-era Metallica, but lacked memorable tunes outside of the singles imo, and Lulu doesn't count.

But with these posts you've made, you've definitely reminded me what a great band Metallica once was.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

I would've voted for Garage, Inc. had it been on here. Despite them being covers, I thought it was pretty cohesive, and very Metallica. It came out just as I started high school, and everytime I hear Whiskey In The Jar, I get a little teary-eyed, might quite possibly be my high school anthem.

Completely forgot about Garage Inc, and yes, it definitely deserves to be there!

Some of Metallica's best work is in their cover songs, where they actually made many of the covers they played their own, especially the Diamond Head songs.

Whiskey In The Jar is a good time drinking song to me. Always have that playing at parties I have.

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

RaZor wrote:

Totally forgot about it as well, just added it to the poll.

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

RaZor wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

But out of those -- Load. Just a solid record, their UYI I, and has alot of memorable Metallica classics, despite the obvious blues-hard rock direction the band took. Reload wasn't as good, St. Anger... really?, Death Magnetic was a return of sorts to Justice-era Metallica, but lacked memorable tunes outside of the singles imo, and Lulu doesn't count.

But with these posts you've made, you've definitely reminded me what a great band Metallica once was.

Funny you mention Load as their UYI1, I often think of the Loads as Metallica's UYI's and the Black Album as their AFD.

I've mention in the thread about Metallica's earlier albums, that I prefer Reload to Load while Load seems to be more popular with most other fans, the same is true for me with UYI2. I love UTI1 and all, just like I love Load, but I like UYI2 a little better.  You Could Be Mine is my favorite GNR rocker outside of AFD, and Knockin' on Heaven's Door my favorite cover. And I can listen to UYI2 straight through, while UYI1 has a few tracks that I skip.

I added Garage Inc to the poll, sorry you didn't get to vote for it. I'm glad someone gave Load a vote though, it's too good of an album to not get any love. 16

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I voted Death Magnetic.  I think it's a solid album, that returns to their pre-Black Album days.  Admittedly I've never listened to Load or ReLoad in full.  St Anger was a nice attempt at something different (concept), but it just went horribly wrong in the production & mix, starting with that awful snare drum!

AtariLegend wrote:

Reload, tempted to vote for Load even though both aren't perfect. They are sort of like their UYI's.

S&M is a live album, don't really count it as studio work even if it is good and never heard Lulu.

Death Magnetic is not bad in places, but to me it's just repetitive sad. St. Anger just embarrasses me, I took them less seriously after that.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Late to the party but I voted Garage Inc. Yeah we already had Garage Days eons before this release but I love their cover of Seger's Turn the Page. Takes me back to the fall of 98.....one of the best years of my life.

Also agree with those who say Load and Reload are like their UYI but released separately. They should've been released together or like that old GNR debate, take the best songs from both and release one strong album instead of two average ones.

Fuel is such a bad ass song. So is The Memory Remains. Reload takes me back to summer 98 as well. God to be young again....

Board footer