You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Tommie
 Rep: 67 

Re: In light of the increased political correctness (one in a mil)

Tommie wrote:

I was sitting here thinking of the NFL ""Redskins" debacle and thought of one in a million.   It may very well be in my top 3 of favorite GnR songs..but I'm not sure I could comfortably play it (let alone sing along to it) in public.     Thoughts?

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Maybe the only place I would play it is at a small party. Though I expect certain areas to be a lot more welcoming than others. Bible country might not be a problem. I have some friends who would simply not care or find it humorous, while others would take offense. Definitely an extremely polarizing song.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Awesome guitar solo by slash on that one.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Kind of a song to play when I'm in the car alone or something or with people I know that know the tune, love it tho

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Yeah, a forgotten gem.  Ashame, it really is a great song, I like the simple riff & raw vocals.  I'm surprised it really is so forgotten & doesn't get brought up now & then in controversial rock moments type stuff.  I asked a black guy that I worked with about 10 years ago what he thought about that song & the N-word usage.  He said he had no idea GnR ever used that word. 

I'm sure I'm in the minority here but imho they should've changed the lyrics. Anyway yeah Neemo either this past summer or last I was listening to Lies in the summer with the windows down.  Totally getting into it at a red light, then I realized "Uh-oh this is One In A Million".  I chuckled but let it play on.

johndivney wrote:

quite possibly the best gnr song.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I never in my life used the word nigger (I was always taught it was a horrible thing to do), but lately i've been saying it alot of debates n' stuff like "matter of fact", and been surprised that the black men and women in attendence have no reaction when I do it, but when others do it, they get uncomfortable.

Are they scared of me? Maybe I just say it with class or something, I don't know. Either way, it got me thinking about Axl, and how much power a stupid fucking word has.

Then I thought back to how BADLY Axl fucked that whole situation up. If Axl would've come out from day one and said it was art, and he was writing from the perspective of a "scared midwest white boy coming to a scary city, and exposing his prejudices" and really drove that home, I wonder if he would've gotten the shit he got.

Instead he cocked a pompous attitude, had 25 different reasons why he said that and faggots, and just came across more and more like a completely lost little boy that just said it to piss people off.... it worked.

In hindsight though... it might be lyrically one of his most poignant moments. His most honest moment in his whole career. This is Axl Rose, being Kurt Cobain, before Kurt, or Eddie Vedder before Eddie.

And when you think about it that way... Axl had bigger balls than any of those dudes. He was being BRUTALLY honest, and crossed a line even they wouldn't cross for dollars. If GN'R hadn't of been as big as they were with such a strong white fanbase, it might've buried any other band at the time forever.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Tommie wrote:

I was sitting here thinking of the NFL ""Redskins" debacle and thought of one in a million.   It may very well be in my top 3 of favorite GnR songs..but I'm not sure I could comfortably play it (let alone sing along to it) in public.     Thoughts?

Oh and if the Redskins change their name to the Washington Bravehearts... they should just close the place.

Board footer