You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Re: The man who cannot sing...

Mikkamakka wrote:

...wins the Best vocalist cathegory @ Loudwire.

Congrats to Myles Kennedy! I wish that GN'R/Axl fans would be more open to somebody this good.

http://loudwire.com/myles-kennedy-wins- … ck=twitter

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Congrats to Myles.

Technically very proficient, career-hungry professional, but his thunder is repeatedly stolen by the big, old wolf, who huffs and puffs his way through the same songs.

Imagine that.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

I enjoy his singing and song writing. I don't think Slash would have such a good thing going at the moment if Myles wasn't involved. Dudes a worker too. Congrats.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

he's got great range but the tone and power don't really do it for me. i think he stands out because the competition out there isn't great in modern music (which for the case of this argument i'd classify as musicians who got their breaks in 00's).

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

He sings better with Alter Bridge, because he sticks to his lower register a fair bit, and his voice doubles well with Mark Tremonti's backing vocals too

He has his moments with Slash, but he seems to go way too nasally and pitchy for some reason
Who knows, maybe he's trying to differentiate between Slash and Alter Bridge

But nasally or not, the few times I've seen him live, he sings in key (even the high notes) and keeps up for the whole gig, especially Slash's last tour where they played a 2 hour show almost non-stop
I think the guy deserves recognition, maybe not best vocalist, but he's definitely one of the better rock vocalists out there today

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I wouldn't say he can't sing, his voice just grates me and I personally don't think it's good. The same for Scott Stapp and Paul Stanley. It's personal preference. I still think Geddy Lee is a good singer and I had a girlfriend who would want to jump out of a window of a moving car on the interstate, landing on broken glass to get away from him. 16

My opinion about his voice doesn't matter one bit. Congrats to him on the award, though.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:
misterID wrote:

I wouldn't say he can't sing, his voice just grates me and I personally don't think it's good. The same for Scott Stapp and Paul Stanley. It's personal preference. I still think Geddy Lee is a good singer and I had a girlfriend who would want to jump out of a window of a moving car on the interstate, landing on broken glass to get away from him. 16

My opinion about his voice doesn't matter one bit. Congrats to him on the award, though.

I'm with her man. If I hear Rush I am running far far away. 16

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

He sings better with Alter Bridge, because he sticks to his lower register a fair bit...
He has his moments with Slash, but he seems to go way too nasally and pitchy for some reason

This, exactly.

I can enjoy him with AB, but I can't with Slash when he goes to the higher pitches.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

I agree that he's nasal in the higher range and his voice is thinning in that region, which doesn't soung good. He hits the notes though, which is much more than other singers can offer even an octave lower. I think he's a professional singer and a hard-working musician, who deserves repsect, cause he can sing almost anyone's stuff and he's a great songwriter, too. I thinh his lyrics are hit or miss - I enjoy Starlight, Not for me and a lot of other tunes, but this One Last Thrill nonsense refreshes my Scott Weiland shocks.

I'm not saying he's up there with the all-time greats, cause he doesn't have enough charisma, he's not that unique and hasn't had that mind-blowing success, but year by year, he wins these polls. I think he's probably the best active rock singer out there, or at least among the best. I really like what he can bring as a musician and song-writer, too. I think the new Alter Bridge record is very strong, so the intensive touring and writing only made him better.

I'm looking forward the next Slash N' Myles album, which won't be the blues record I'd want, but a darker and heavier stuff could only soung good.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Board footer