You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Re: The man who cannot sing...

Mikkamakka wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Axl picks good collaborators.

You mean the god awful Robin Finck? He's the second worst guitar player of all time. Paul Tobias is the king of the 6-string nobodies though. DJ Ashba is very impressive, too and Fortus who can't play slide guitar and butchers even his tiny little spot in Rocket Queen.

Only Buckethead is better as a guitarist than Myles as a singer  (technically). But since 90 percent of BH's stuff is damned boring, I rate Myles higher, since he can write songs, unlike Buckethead.

BTW I can't wait to hear how Axl will sound during his new live shows. The worst professional singer alive.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

VR with Scott Stapp would be laughed at, farrrr more than when Weiland was first announced.  I'll give you this tho, it might be a pretty decent mixup for a oneoff song.  If they did a rotating singers album like Slashs last 2.  However a full album/band would really be a joke & a disaster careerwise for these guys. Possibly they could create a surprise, but I wouldn't recommend it & I doubt they would attempt it.

Polluxlm how does Axl pick good collaborators?  He's picked ppl who've stuck with them (Tommy), but mostly these guys are no-names who without GnR are not in the elite echelon of music names & probably relegated to much lesser band or studio musicians. (Tommy aside)

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Axl picks good collaborators, Slash picks bad ones. If I wanted to tell people in the future what hair metal sounded like I would play them Myles Kennedy.

At least Stapp sounds like a man.

Scott Stapp sounds like he's gargling marbles under water, and is cheesy as fuck.
You don't have to be a fan of Myles to see that... hahaha

When Myles stays out of the nasal register, he shits all over Scott, especially in songwriting and lyrics.

Not disagreeing with that, they're both in a race for the bottom.

Myles is perfectly average in both songwriting and lyrics.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Axl picks good collaborators.

You mean the god awful Robin Finck? He's the second worst guitar player of all time. Paul Tobias is the king of the 6-string nobodies though. DJ Ashba is very impressive, too and Fortus who can't play slide guitar and butchers even his tiny little spot in Rocket Queen.

Only Buckethead is better as a guitarist than Myles as a singer  (technically). But since 90 percent of BH's stuff is damned boring, I rate Myles higher, since he can write songs, unlike Buckethead.

BTW I can't wait to hear how Axl will sound during his new live shows. The worst professional singer alive.

The god awful Finck who wrote the TIL solo, the first TWAT solo, the Better riff and and kickass solo in that too. He's horrible.

Tobias was the  most prolific music writer on CD.

BH is one of the greatest guitarist of all time.

Ashba is decent, Fortus plays rhythm.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Polluxlm how does Axl pick good collaborators?  He's picked ppl who've stuck with them (Tommy), but mostly these guys are no-names who without GnR are not in the elite echelon of music names & probably relegated to much lesser band or studio musicians. (Tommy aside)

Some of them are no names, some of them are not. But they all contributed to some great music. Axl not only picks good collaborators, he also gets the best out of them.

Slash has Dover, that Snakepit II hack, Weiland and Kennedy. Weiland is the only one who's acceptable in that group, still they couldn't crunch out more than a couple of good songs. With the exception of that brief first VR album burst, Slash has been dead creatively since 1991. I'd take almost any song on CD over all his work.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Slash has Dover, that Snakepit II hack, Weiland and Kennedy. Weiland is the only one who's acceptable in that group, still they couldn't crunch out more than a couple of good songs. With the exception of that brief first VR album burst, Slash has been dead creatively since 1991. I'd take almost any song on CD over all his work.

Although I'd agree about Snakepit II and even to a certain extent the solo stuff, IFOCS has better songs, better singing, better playing and better production than CD. To me CD sounds just as uninspired as the post-It's 5 o' clock Slash solo stuff. Granted, Slash has more bad songs, so there's more of Slash's stuff to be disappointed in. But I'd hardly see his relative productivity compared to Axl as something to hold against him. CD is probably no better than anything any of the other guys did AND it took a gazillion years and dollars to make...

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

Each his own. For me CD got that level of ambition, quality and sophistication listening to GN'R made me accustomed to.

Slash can belt out as many riffs as he want, it becomes pretty moot when he's got all these run of the mill singers dragging it down. The only ambition Slash got is career wise and image wise, his music is still rooted firmly in the 80s. That's not for me. GN'R was never about that.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Polluxlm wins post(s) of the year! smile

I think Slash plays to the level of talent around him, imo.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Axl picks good collaborators, Slash picks bad ones. If I wanted to tell people in the future what hair metal sounded like I would play them Myles Kennedy.

At least Stapp sounds like a man.

Scott Stapp sounds like he's gargling marbles under water, and is cheesy as fuck.
You don't have to be a fan of Myles to see that... hahaha

When Myles stays out of the nasal register, he shits all over Scott, especially in songwriting and lyrics.

Not disagreeing with that, they're both in a race for the bottom.

Myles is perfectly average in both songwriting and lyrics.

(not directed at poll, but an in-general post)

I would say Scott Stapp and Myles are on the same level lyrically. Scott can be cheesy as fuck lyrically, absolutely. Creed has some of the most sappy-ass Poison-tribute lyrics of all time. But Myles certainly ain't better. I can show you highlights and low-lights, no different than Stapp.

I would say they're both average rock radio type fare.

Myles does not shit all over Stapp. If anything he's derivative of derivative. Alter Bridge/Creed (leaving Stapp out of the conversation) are the most hacky, rip-off artists of rock music of all time. Got to fucking be. Alter Bridge gets NO PASS. It's basically Creed with Myles. Just because Tremonti (as good as he is), brings more of a classic rock appeal to the music, again... it's fucking rip off stuff. Back in the late 90's when Creed hit, even I was like most going, what the fuck? Poor man's Pearl Jam. But Creed did something financially smart as hell. By 1996-98, Pearl Jam themselves were getting slammed in the press and by fans alike for their continuing "decline". Yep that's right folks, the decline of the great Pearl Jam. Why? Because most people missed the band that recorded Ten. Where the fuck was THAT Pearl Jam? Obviously Pearl Jam does what the fuck they want, and god bless 'em for it. But Creed walks in and picks up the slack. Some record exec says, "hey I got a great idea, let's mix Pearl Jam/Alice In Chains melodies with the arena rock presentation of 80's hair like Bon Jovi or Def Leppard".

BOOM -- post-grunge was born, in it's truest since. Not Days of the New or STP, but right there at the birth of Creed. Stapp's contention years later was that "actually something new was started in my opinion", or however he put it, and Tremonti agreed.

I wholeheartedly disagree with them, but in hind-sight I might agree with them more today on how long post-grunge has lasted, and settled into it's rock niche format, that it's "generic radio rock" so much to the point that it's it's own generation's rock music. In hind-sight, Creed which was derivative, and basically just did Pearl Jam's Ten or Alice In Chains' Dirt mixed with New Jersey or Look What The Cat Dragged In, ad nauseum, that now Creed looks like the first band of it's kind in retrospect.

BUT, as soon as I lightened up on them a tad, they go off and do Alter fucking Bridge. NOW Myles, like Scott, gets a pass in my book. Again my fingers pointed DIRECTLY at the band themselves. They jumped off of their own sinking ship, and again founded a completely derivative band! Alter Bridge when they started were again radio ready rock, with a classic rock appeal, something that was now considered some since of "fresh" in the mid-2000s. Myles was just along for the ride apparently, no different than Scott. Now just because Tremonti throws on a solo, people give him a pass on ANOTHER derivative band built because they band has NO originality.

You like Alter Bridge, ding ding for you. But their current "gimmick" and that's what it is, a gimmick, is just another in a long line. The music is good, it really is. But I could make the same argument for Creed to. ALOT of people liked them, WAY FUCKING MORE than AB. My high school chums would be laughing their asses off at me in 2014 defending the legacy of Creed, considering I fucking slammed them daily back in their popularity for liking them.

But in the end, if anyone looks innocent here -- it's Scott Stapp. I'm totally serious. Scott Stapp STAYED Scott Stapp. He never changed. He never ran off and made another derivative band, to continue stealing money from people. He stayed true to exactly who he is. I could not stand the fucker, but I gotta admit, history and his history has kind of vindicated him. I think Scott Stapp is exactly who he is.

Stapp may not be able to hit Myles notes, but i'd argue that fucking Myles can't hit Myles notes. Kinda pitchy dawg.

Key difference between Stapp and Myles, other than Stapp sounding more manly.

Scott Stapp is a rock vocalist/performer, no matter how derivative, true to his 80s/90s-influenced roots. Myles Kennedy is just a session vocalist in a long-line, and when "Creed" and Slash are done with him, they'll throw him away like they did all their other vocalists. Myles will be a nobody, because that's what he is, because he won't have his bands to float him anymore.

Stapp will still be a God amongst Christian Rock, even if he's got nothing left to do or say. At least he can go to his grave saying "I was who I was, and I never fucking changed".

Who's Got My Back now... indeed

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Each his own. For me CD got that level of ambition, quality and sophistication listening to GN'R made me accustomed to.

Ambition for sure. And it's easy to tell Axl was going for sophistication, but to me the result doesn't match his aspirations. But you're right, Slash songs don't have ambition nor do they aspire sophistication. I personally think Slash is just going for fun, energetic songs (with obviously mixed results as well). For me personally GNR stood for angry, energetic and surely sophisticated hard rock. None of the solo efforts nor CD have that ultimate mix that to me defines a true GNR record, but as far as my personal tastes go, at least IFOCS comes close. The one difference probably being that Dover's anger is expressed in a slightly more melancholic, whiney way than Axl's anger (which at least in the glory days was more edgy, combative, raw. More hard rock than grunge).

Board footer