You are not logged in. Please register or login.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

Re: Batman: Arkham Knight

BLS-Pride wrote:

Holy shit this looks pretty damn good.

AtariLegend wrote:

4 mins of a standard CGI cutscene with no gameplay. They actually had that almost 20 years ago too.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Either way I like the look of it, just need to muster up the enthusiasm to fork out for a next gen console.

BLS-Pride

BLS-Pride wrote:

Batman: Arkham Knight will not have multiplayer, but it does feature the return of Kevin Conroy as Bruce Wayne, and many other interesting features new to the franchise.

Speaking in the new issue of Game Informer, Rocksteady game director Sefton Hill said, "This is a single-player game. There is no multiplayer Right at the start this was our vision. It's going to take all of our effort for all of this time. We don’t have the time to do multiplayer.”

Instead, Hill’s team plans “to focus on making the best single-player experience we can. We don't feel that it needs a multiplayer element. Warner Bros. backed that up right at the start.”

That's not all that's notable, though.
Set one year after Arkham City, Arkham Knight takes place in a more densely populated part of Gotham City, which is approximately five times the size of Arkham City. New generation hardware allows Rocksteady to bring more to its world, not the least of which is riots of 50 or more on-screen characters. “At any given time, there are between three to five times the number of thugs active in Gotham City than there were in Arkham City,”Tim Hanagan, lead AI and combat programmer, told Game Informer.

The addition of the Batmobile is another notable feature for Arkham Knight. The vehicle, which is drivable for the first time in the series, has immobilizing missles, can be summoned at any time, smashes through most objects, and can eject Batman at any time so he can glide or grapple around Gotham. Even Riddler’s challenges will take advantage of the Batmobile, which will, among other things, test your driving skills.

The title Arkham Knight, oddly enough, does not refer to Bruce Wayne’s Batman, but another new nemesis Hill claims is a “formidable foe” that will “really challenge Batman to go head to head with him in lots of different ways.” Game Informer describes the villain as a “militarized” version of Batman, with the signature Arkham “A” plastered on his chest. He'll join the ranks of The Penguin, Two Face, and Harley Quinn, who's available as a playable character via pre-order.

AtariLegend wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

Game Informer describes the villain as a “militarized” version of Batman

Sounds like the Jean Paul Valley version of Batman... maybe.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Finally they've added the Batmobile. I wish they'd stick the BatWing in there too.

BLS-Pride

BLS-Pride wrote:

Looks like it will be pretty impressive.

Next-gen only.Single player only.
No multiplayer.
Arkham Knight isn’t just the name of the game, it’s also the name of a brand new villain.
Rocksteady is working with DC’s Geoff Johns to create the character from scratch.
Batman starts the game in the Arkham City suit, but gets a new costume early on.
Takes place in a central zone of Gotham City split into 3 islands. 5 times bigger than Arkham City.
The level of detail in Gotham City is some of the most impressive Game Informer has ever seen in a video game.
Takes place one year after Arkham City.
With The Joker dead, Gotham’s villains come together to try to take down Batman.
Scarecrow, Two-Face, Penguin, and Harley Quinn are all confirmed.
Kevin Conroy is back as Batman. Troy Baker is Two-Face, Nolan North is Penguin, Tara Strong is Harley Quinn, and Wally Wingert is Ridder.
Batman visits with Oracle in the game, she’s not just a voice in his earpiece anymore.
Cut scenes are all done in game, so it doesn’t feel like you’re playing a game and then watching a movie.
The characters are incredibly detailed. One has the polygon count of Arkham Aslyum, the whole environment.
Batman’s cape and character’s clothing reacts realistically to wind and movement.
All quick-fire gadgets can now be used during flight.
Batman can perform a quick ground strike to downed opponents.Interrogations are back.
Batman can incorporate the environment into his combat combos like never before.
Fear takedowns allow Batman to take out multiple enemies in slow motion, as long as he isn’t spotted.
This is Rocksteady’s last Batman game. There will be a clear ending to their Arkham trilogy. It’s possible that WB Games Montreal may still make Batman games set in the Arkham Origins time period.

Batmobile Info
Rocksteady set out to make the best car in any game ever.
It’s so detailed it would take up the space of an entire Xbox 360 game.
It’s the only drive-able vehicle.
Players can bring the Batmobile to their location with the press of a button.
It can do burnouts, jumps, boosts, and even rotate in circles at a full stop to get you pointed in the right direction.
It can smash through barricades, trees, and building corners.
Batman can eject out of the Batmobile and go directly into gliding through the city.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Feeling mixed. Loved Arkham Asylum. It totally reinvented the Bat games, and was the first to actually simulate what it's like to be a stealthy athelete, set to invoke fear. Hanging upside down on ledges, doing inverted takedowns and hearing The Joker bellow at his cronies through the PA system while their decreasing number is panicking all the more - that's Bats. The plot was also tight and totally satisfying, with Kevin Conroy delivering the dry and to-the-point Dark Knight with a glint in his eyebrow; "Harley Quinn tried to stop me. Dropped an elevator on me." Add a ton of collectibles, the great hallucinatory Scarecrow levels, solid controls and fighting system that grows with you as you get into it more and you have a classic Bat game, hands down.

Arkham City? Meh. All the good things about the Asylum gameplay mechanics are intact. Rocksteady wanted to keep the good things (reasonable), but felt the game would function just as well in a sandbox setting. To me, it was a disappointment. I know I'm in the minority, but I felt City to be directionless in comparison, overtly burdened by the abundance of choices and sidequests and a main story not strong enough to keep me interested. Make a choice; a Hugo Strange story feat. The Joker, or vice versa. Trying to do justice to both only creates a more convoluted plot. There were some great sequences, like the atmospheric sneak/run escapade into Killer Crocs lair and the Ra's al Ghul storyline, but it never rose to the dizzying heights of Asylum, despite trying to make everything bigger and better.

Didn't bother with Origins, as it wasn't a Rocksteady title to begin with. This one? Not curious that they want to keep up with the IP; It's a triple-A franchise. Will check it out eventually, five times bigger game area than with City can make or break it for me; either it'll have my gripes on City, multiplied, or, it will be a big enough departure for Rocksteady to take the Asylum mechanics and reinvent them. I'm definitely hoping for the latter, as being Bats is oftentimes an immense fun.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

This winter, I got Arkham Origins, and decided to sit down and play the game as a trilogy. Starting with Origins, the prequel story, then going back to Rocksteady's world.

Honestly, considering the clunky moments of Origins and that it was basically a lift of City, watered down, but with a fresh, new & fascinating prequel story, it works playing it that way. The biggest reason to play Origins, is for the storyline, which I think might be arguably a better story than City.

Arkham Asylum, I used to think City was the best game, The Dark Knight to Asylum's Batman Begins. But in hind-sight, it's the T2, to Asylum's T1.

Arkham Asylum might just be a masterpiece. An incredibly MOODY game, Asylum sets an amazing atmosphere. The game is nearly perfect, if for the lack of gadgets, but the story, the feel, the tone... what an atmosphere. That kind of tone that just immerses you in a world.

Arkham City, although very audacious is basically just a straight-forward action film. The story is bigger, but not better, there are more gadgets, which was a plus, but there's more to do, so much to do, that it dilutes several different storylines, rather than Asylum. It's still a great game, but I definitely can see now where City is seen as lesser to Asylum's smaller, but richer world.

Origins is not nearly as bad as it's reputation. Quite good, but it brings nothing new to the table, and is very similar in style to Dark Knight Rises. Bigger, but what new does it bring?

Either way, I look forward to this, but I haven't seen anything, yet, that has wowed me.

AtariLegend wrote:

4 mins of a standard CGI cutscene with no gameplay. They actually had that almost 20 years ago too.

Yeah I agree. I saw absolutely nothing in the trailer that got my juices going, and right now i'm playing the other games, so I was primed, and still... all it is is a bunch of CGI.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Nobody has posted this, but just fyi... this thing has been pushed back to a Christmas 2015 release.

I was mere days away from a PS4 purchase, just in anticipation for this this fall... then it got pushed back.

I wonder if WB Games is interested in letting their WB Montreal wing continue on the Arkham Origins universe on PS3 in the meantime as a hold over...

Board footer