You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: Duff McKagan on tour with GNR?

polluxlm wrote:
Olorin wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
johndivney wrote:

What is it people think Slash is jelly about? His cut from GnR or the power?? Or both??

Seeing Axl smile.

That shit just infuriates me. Fuckin what? Poor wee delicate Axl, that mean ol' Slash ruined his life???

Fuck the fuck off. What a lot of fuckin shite. Utter bullshit!!

Care to elaborate on how dat evil ol' Slash Man robbed that sweet ol' innocent ginger nut of his  "smile"???????????

Actually it's "evil ginger kicked poor Slash out of the band and ruined GNR", according to most people.

Slash has wanted back in ever since he bluff left the band almost 20 years ago. Axl never caved on his demands and it's pissing him off. That's why he just happened to be in Vegas when Axl played his first show there, that's why he went to Axl's house ready to leave everything behind when for once the old ginger said some positive words about him in the press, and that's why he had his wife slip disparaging remarks when CD was released.

He left on the assumption Axl never could nor would try and make it without his iconic lead guitarist. Whenever Axl makes a little something happen it irks him, and he comes running to the press or with his lawyers to care about it somehow. Always aiming to appear diplomatic, not bitter and the bigger man. But it's all an act. The secret is he's got an even bigger man crush on Axl than Axl does him. That's why they write entire albums about each other and feud for decades. Like two scorned lovers.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

It looks like he was right too.  One average at best album and no attempt to do anything but tour in the past what...5 or 6 years?  Don't paint Axl as some hero that moved on.  He's every bit as much of a loser in this game as Slash is and maybe even more of one.

Read what you wrote man - you sound more bitter about it than either of them do.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Like I have said forever. They are an old divorced couple. Period. They will always love each other. That said, Slash used to be open to admitting it. But after all the shit Axl said, Slash won't be nice anytime soon. But it is still not too late!  All Axl has done is the near 20 years is release one average album and tour. Since 1993 Slash has been part of 7 studio albums (I am including the one coming out this year and not counting the live album). It is bullshit we have the Plant/Page, Tyler/Perry, Richards/Jagger type combo and Axl is too hard headed to let us see it again.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

But what Axl's gotten for around 20 years are people, who've been giving him a free rein to be as insane as he'd like. They've always shielded him from conflict, cleaned away anything that might disturb him and kept his problems alive instead of supporting his growth as a human being. He always wanted a family, and rather than doing a bit of matchmaking, Beta offers her own youngs to feed. A more decent approach would be to help Axl develop a lasting relationship with an equal partner, instead of keeping him propped up like an inflatable rock star dummy. Stephanie Seymour and Slash both represent the issues Axl has with partners, people who have equal say on things and aren't simply minions he can put on contract.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Started last nights show in Bolivia with You Could Be Mine and You're Crazy, followed by the standard setlist. Interesting. Axl has had trouble with YCBM for some time. Maybe get it out of the way early when his voice is strongest is the thought? I say, follow it up with TWAT. Or, maybe they're just trying to do something a little different.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

This whole short period has been just bizarre. Duff returning to GN'R, not as a special guest, but introduced primarily as the new "old" bassist. Then to see Duff "Rose" McKagan make a return, walking the streets getting along like chums with DJ & Richard primarily, with some of Chris & Frank, like he's a member of the band. The whole thing has a feeling "Dallas" dream season all over it, like wtf?

Tommy is one of the oldest, long-standing members of new Guns, and easily one of the most liked, and yet he was thrown overboard in seconds for Duff. If that's not definitive proof that Axl's "experiment" was a complete and total failure, I don't know what is.

At this stage, whatever works I suppose. If Duff's prescence in the band gives Axl a feeling of nostalgia and happiness, so much to the point that he feels more willing to write, that's great. More old band members can't ever hurt, right? At this point the whole Chinese period is beyond the point of being buried. The moment is gone. Axl needs to scrap it all, compile a new band, whether with Duff, without Duff, with Ron, without Ron, etc., and focus on a new period. And then of course releasing whatever is in the vault as a time capsule legacy piece of that period down the line.

Considering that Axl's embraced being a 80s sunset strip-nostalgia act, Duff fits in with the current band better than Tommy anyways, believe it or not.

Regardless of whether Duff is in or not, at this stage, GN'R still don't tour as much as other artists. I still don't understand why the band couldn't add Izzy as well, because it isn't like it's a full time job.

I just don't understand where the line is. So Duff leaves and Tommy comes back? And all those Vegas fans are gonna chant "We want Duff?" How does that work exactly bringing back an old band member for a handful of shows, and a "to be" nationally broadcast concert as a member of Guns N' Roses, and then Tommy is supposed to come back?

I don't buy it, and if it does happen that way... how weird.

Either way 'tis still cool, regardless of Axl's vocal situations to see Duff "Rose" McKagan make a return, as well as getting along well with the band. Just means another writer that helps the band, and helps bridge that line from the band's ideas and Axl. I'm sure Duff would have WAY WAY WAY more creative sway with Axl than anyone currently in the band.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

That's probably the only other thing that would excite me about Duff returning, he was one of the writers in the original line up, though with probably not as much weight as Slash and Izzy, he did write songs like It's So Easy, and co-wrote a lot of great tunes as well.

Maybe the weight would be off Axl's shoulders somewhat if Duff was writing with him again

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

That's probably the only other thing that would excite me about Duff returning, he was one of the writers in the original line up, though with probably not as much weight as Slash and Izzy, he did write songs like It's So Easy, and co-wrote a lot of great tunes as well.

Maybe the weight would be off Axl's shoulders somewhat if Duff was writing with him again

I think the importance of Duff in GN'R is underrated. Everybody knows that Slash wrote the most important riffs, those awesome solos and he made Izzy's simple Stonesy "songs" heavy and bluesy. Everybody knows that Izzy was writing all the time and watered Slash's songs to be more mainstream. Everybody knows that Axl wrote his epics and was some kind of supervisor regarding the others' songs and ideas.

But it was really Duff who made that rhythm. His solo albums and Loaded (and occasionally VR) have the same pulsing as the GN'R songs. You can clearly hear that most of the notes are typical Aerosmith/Zeppelin-type of Slash tunes, but the rhythm is different and it makes them unique and not ...well, let's say..."traditional". He made it GN'R.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

I think the importance of Duff is GN'R is underrated. Everybody knows that Slash wrote the most important riffs, those awesome solos and he made Izzy's simple Stonesy "songs" heavy and bluesy. Everybody knows that Izzy was writing all the time and watered Slash's songs to be more mainstream. Everybody knows that Axl wrote his epics and was some kind if supervisor regarding the others's songs and ideas.

But it was really Duff who made that rhythm. His solo albums and Loaded (and occasionally VR) has the same pulsing as the GN'R songs. You can clearly hear that most of the notes are typical Aerosmith/Zeppelin-type of Slash tunes, but the rhythm is different and it makes them unique and not ...well, let's say..."traditional". He made it GN'R.

Yeah, well said. I didn't mean to undermine Duff's contribution, because his locked in lower end with the drums was definitely and integral part of Guns sound.

His bass line melodies are up there as being as memorable as Slash's solos and Axl's vocals. That says a lot about his contribution.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

Great point about the bass melodies - i feel like Duff's bass melody during the SCOM intro is what integral to what makes the song as a whole so beautiful.

Board footer