You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Time for the reunion

Axlin16 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Slash may lie about stupid shit, but when he says he is going to put out an album and tour the world, he does it.

Except when the band is called Velvet Revolver.

metallex78 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Slash may lie about stupid shit, but when he says he is going to put out an album and tour the world, he does it.

Yeah, reading the detailed posts before yours, I can see valid points about Slash's shady character.
But at the end of the day, as fans of both Axl and Slash's music, isn't all we want is new music from them?

Slash gives us all that and then some, but Axl uses every excuse under the sun to NOT give us new music.
I don't know either Axl or Slash personally, and probably never will, so regardless of their so called "characters", all I want from both of them (if they can never work together again) is new music.

And I'm sorry, but until Axl changes his tune, Slash wins on that front.

And I can totally see that point as well. Axl's silence, although I feel that Axl stays silent because he feels "his truth" seems to backfire on him constantly or is twisted into something pro-Slash or anti-Axl so the media can sell newstories, Axl's silence backfires on him, because in our society, silence ALWAYS equals = guilt. It actually doesn't, but all of us are a bunch of lazy, self-judging, douchebags and it's just easier that way for us to equate silence and guilt or arguing for privacy equals guilt. That's another one.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Maybe Axl simply didn't like having such a strong commanding member in the band.  Someone more beloved than him, kind of like Angus Young and AC/DC... Slash's popularity gave him a level of power.  Perhaps Axl didn't like that.

I don't buy that for a second. Duff told a story back in the day when a bunch of fans ran up to Axl & Duff and basically everyone ran right past Duff and all wanted Axl's autograph. Axl obliged, but tried to encourage them to go get Duff's autograph, after all he's in the band too.

I'm sorry, but Axl has NEVER struck me as a narcissist. Slash has a corner on the market on that imo. If anyone ever associated with GN'R was in the ballpark you speak of, it'd be Slash imo, with Axl at the bottom of the list.

I think Axl actually would RATHER be left alone.

Now on the power grab front, I don't buy it either. In several of Axl's interviews whether directly or indirectly in the last 20-25 years, he basically alluded to wishing someone had just taken the ball/initiative to help guide the band. Axl complained that Slash & Duff wanted equal say in the band, but back in the day did nothing but party and had absolutely nothing to do with business discussions as far back as 1989, at least.

Axl was then accused of stealing the band and being a dictator, but yet the royalty distribution proves Axl was never trying to cut out the band, but in fact management and any other blood sharks that threatned the (at that point) global business brand that Guns N' Roses had become.

Slash & Duff (pre-rock minister of finance) wanted nothing to do with that shit, other than drugs, pussy and rock n' roll. They were still young and immature, while Axl was thrust into a world where "someone's got to take the responsibility to go to the meetings" he complained about.

When the dust settled, if you put all the work in, you do all the studying to try and make sure the band doesn't get robbed blind, you aren't going to feel entitled to the brand name's ownership to ensure its survival?

Based on everything i've read, if there was anything Axl DID EARN without any doubt, or thievery... it was the band name.

tejastech08 wrote:
-D- wrote:

Axl prob thought Slash would fail and become a has been where are they now....beg Axl back and fall in line.  Didnt happen.

Or maybe he's glad to be rid of him. They don't get along.

This x a million. All these people that think Axl's "obsessed with Slash", is simply not true imo. Axl was 'disappointed' in Slash, and let down imo. Feeling betrayed might even be a stronger word. But it was THE WAY Slash went about it, that buried him perminately with Axl, and that was ALL Slash's fault. Slash didn't just leave. If you look back over the interviews back then, Slash was already openly slagging Axl in the press in little passive-aggressive ways, and it was obvious in hind-sight looking back over those words then, that there was trouble in paradise. This didn't go over well with Axl, nor did Slash's difficulty in hardlining his material as "take it or leave it" that it buried any music they wrote or recorded during that late 1993-to-late 1995 period. Again, Axl is pissed. Then Slash quits, which in Axl's eyes is saying "I want a divorce". Slash doesn't just stop there, he proceeds to encourage Axl's persona with the media as a tyranical dick (something that has haunted Axl from day one), and beat into the ground until the present day.

The irony in all of this, is EVERY SINGLE PERSON (Alan Niven & Stephanie Seymour) have all but recanted their feelings towards Axl in the present day. The same people that encouraged that media bullshit persona of him, turned around and said he was a "great guy". Erin Everly, a bitch who supposedly had the shit kicked out of her, kicked in the stomach to miscarry a baby, destroyed property, had her life threatened, gagged with a ball gag, tied up, fucked in the ass repeatedly and thrown in a closet.... still took a girlfriend to see him at a show a couple years ago.

I don't think Axl is the villian here. I think we're dealing with dozens and dozens of liars, not Axl is the cause of all the problems. All of these people basically backed off on their "fuck Axl" stance. Even Slash who goes back and forth between, "I love Axl", and "Axl is a dictator.... but I love 'em xoxoxo"

With every passing year, the more time vindicates Axl again and again.

Axl wanted to be rid of Slash and is more than happy he's gone. Called him "a cancer" for God's sake. He also said he loved him, so maybe even for Axl it goes back and forth. But in the band? No, I think Axl doesn't really ever want Slash back in the band full time. I think Axl is happy with Duff, but I think Axl is just fine with Slash & Izzy being part-timers with GN'R. Izzy because he's so unrealiable, and Slash because of drama. It's like having your ex-wife around your new wife, 20 years after the divorce.

polluxlm wrote:

He's glad to be rid of him, but also bitter about what a Slashless GN'R turned out to be. They were on top of the world and Axl could never understand how Slash would want to throw that away, even less so how he feels Slash tried to bring him down with him.

This

I don't think Axl wants or wanted Slash back. Maybe initially, but once it sunk in, he rolled with it. I think what Axl HATED and drove him nuts was that Slash's presence in not being in GN'R would become a curse for Axl. He tried to reboot the band into a totally different think ala Halloween III, and like Halloween III, it pissed Axl off that virtually everyone, including the business, hated that 1998-2002 GN'R, 21st-century modern-rock/prog-rock/industrial GN'R.

And Axl blamed Slash for it. The industry and the label were doing everything for him with Chinese, including $14 million investment... until.... they heard it. Then they wanted to bury it and distance themselves from it. Legendary producers didn't even want to work on it, because it wasn't the GN'R they were prepared for. So while Slash was selling out and doing "Set Me Free" for The Hulk with Scott Weiland and VR, Axl's over there looking at it as that top-hatted bastard PUT ME in this situation, and nobody is giving Chinese or the band, the push it deserves.

And he blamed Slash.

BUT... in defense of Slash, Axl's insistence on tinkering with every little thing on Chinese, put Axl in his own quagmire of an album. I remember when Axl told Kurt Loder post-VMA's in 2002 that Chinese was basically nowhere near ready... lolz... Chinese should've already been out for a year at the time that they played the VMA's. Even then it was a year past due.

That kind of shit is what buried Axl in reality.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
-D- wrote:

Axl prob thought Slash would fail and become a has been where are they now....beg Axl back and fall in line.  Didnt happen.

Actually it was the other way around. Slash left remember? He was the one thinking Axl would give in. That's why he came around 10 years later saying "Axl had won the war". He viewed that whole thing as a battle.

It exagerrates the story a bit. First of all, Axl quit first, then Slash didn't join his new band (with the same name, Guns N' Roses). Second, I highly doubt all the words of the Axl camp, and the "Slash confessed that Axl won the war" bullshit came from them. I don't think that Slash would have said anything regarding this, and I doubt even more that he used these words. He may see it this way, who knows. But all of us followed this saga in the past 2 decades, so it's sure that the Axl camp likes to twist everything that happened or hasn't even happened and they see it as a WAR AGAINST EVIL, for sure, and they see every action legal, acceptable, normal and deserved against the devil. Even their lies.

Here is the exact quote, I'm still unsure if Slash used the word "war", or it's only the Axl camp's translation.

"Slash came to inform Axl that: 'Duff was spineless,' 'Scott [Weiland] was a fraud,' that he 'hates Matt Sorum' and that in this ongoing war, contest or whatever anyone wants to call it that Slash has waged against Axl for the better part of 20 years, that Axl has proven himself 'the stronger.' Based on his conduct in showing up at Rose's home, Axl was hopeful that Slash would live up to his pronouncements that he wanted to end the war and move on with life. Unfortunately that did not prove to be the case."

This is one of the rare rare cases I agree wholeheartedly with Mikka in the Axl vs. Slash debate.

I don't buy for a flat fucking second that Slash said what he said to Beta. Now I do believe that Slash showed up at Axl's house WITH THOSE INTENTIONS of trying to resolve he and Axl's issues, especially considered Axl lied about it later, then recanted and said, "well I was there, but... it didn't happen like that", which made Slash lose more credibility in it, so much to the point Axl could've said anything he wanted to about Slash at that point, and I would've believed him, because it was another classic Slash lying moment (of which there are many).

I think Slash cares SO FUCKING LITTLE about Axl's feelings that Slash could care less about a 'war' and if there was one, i'm sure Slash's own ego would allow him to prevail as the king of all champions, simply because he's popular and Axl isn't. I think popularity is VERY important to Slash, way more so than Axl... but... Axl isn't entirely immune to wanting to be popular.

But I do believe with Slash's statements, Axl's lack of having an ACTUAL family life and not his weird "i'm not gay, but I might as well be" my housekeeper's son is my best friend San Francisco weird family life that he has, and Axl's lack of having an actual musical point in living, led to Axl probably having many late-night play-around tirade discussions with "Mom" about what a self-centered tube steak Slash was, and Beta just encouraged it (i'm assuming).

Eventually this leads Axl to believe that Slash believes this is some sort of war, because by self-admittance, Axl was a GN'R Forum junkie in these days buying into all of our wartime discussions. Axl starts to buy into the illusion of all of this, and when Slash showed up, Axl in an almost tongue-in-cheek satirization moment of them media bakes up this press release as if anyone gave a fuck.

Instead, it made everyone look like bitter old maids. Slash looked like a wimpy liar, and Axl played almost literally right into the media's definition of him as a douche. And the thought of slagging Duff, Scott Weiland & Matt in the process simply made Axl & Slash BOTH look bad, because VR were left to "wonder" about what Slash said, and Axl even if he was delivering absolute truth about Slash's statements... played right into looking like Axl, and it looked like a backdoor way for Axl to try and stir up shit and try to break up VR himself, a band which pretty much every insider said Axl could not stand one bit, all the way down to Slash & Duff recycling songs from the 1994-95 period for those albums.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Not to Hijack, but someone said they wanted the Hey Joe Slash, and this is almost 10 years old!!!!!  Fuck, badass shit here.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Not to Hijack, but someone said they wanted the Hey Joe Slash, and this is almost 10 years old!!!!!  Fuck, badass shit here.

Let's hijack it. I'll do it, for sure: the more Slash's Hey Joe, the better. This song is The Outstanding Song of the past 20 years for me. Miles better than the original, which is a miracle, cause Jimi's was a classic. Slash's playing here is one of the all-time highlights of his career and proves again what made him Slash and what made Guns N' Roses Guns N' Roses (in a big part). In the studion they couldn't repeat this magic, I can't stop listening this song. It's full of life, full of emotion and he makes the guitar speak like nobody else. It's not about zillions of layers to hide there is basically nothing - it's windy and melodical. No need to get professional headphones to dig deep to find something worthy or surprising - the miracle is there in the spotlight and it'll surprise again and again with its awesomeness.

It's also a reminder to Slash though: make a band with skilled blues musicians to back you, and wonderful music will be born. Slash, please.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

That was me smile

See what happens when he surrounds himself with good musicians? Imagine if he did an album like this with Robert Plant?

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

edit:nevermind

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I dunno what you guys are seeing in that Hey Joe performance, that is that amazing.
Yeah it's good, but its no different to the level of playing I've seen from Slash at all of his Conspirators shows I've attended.

There is nothing particularly mind-blowing he is playing in that video that makes me think it compares with the GN'R levels of playing.

Maybe that's just me though... 14

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

It is the feel and phrasing I think most like with a perfect dash of slop. Lots of soul with nice licks but no shred like he sometimes plays now. He had a great tone on that performance too. Metallex, give a review of bent to fly.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Double post. Sorry.

Board footer