You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: Time for the reunion

metallex78 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

It is the feel and phrasing I think most like with a perfect dash of slop. Lots of soul with nice licks but no shred like he sometimes plays now. He had a great tone on that performance too. Metallex, give a review of bent to fly.

I haven't heard Bent To Fly yet unfortunately, but I know a few Aussies who have

And from what I've heard from them, they said it showcases Myles' lower range, almost Chris Cornell like, and that its kind of a ballad, but not a ballad... if that makes sense, and its also comparable to Back From Cali with a hint of Beggars.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Maybe you will like this version better...

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Marc Canter said this on mygnrforum yesterday:
"I think besides the fact they had their differences and Axl blames Slash for all the lost years, I think Axl was told that Slash is a bad guy by people he hired and paid for their advice and still really believes it to be true.

I'm glad that Duff and Axl are friends again but Slash and Duff both tell the same story about many of the things that went wrong including the signing over the rights to the GNR name but only Slash is the lier? It doesn't make much sense to me at this point in time. As far as I'm concerned it should have all blown over no matter what happened about 10 years ago. The past is the past and time should have healed that shit. Life is too short to waste so much time with hate especially when there is a lot of miscommunication about the facts. It would be a lot healthier to get to the bottom of it if you ask me. "

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Marc Canter said this on mygnrforum yesterday:
"I think besides the fact they had their differences and Axl blames Slash for all the lost years, I think Axl was told that Slash is a bad guy by people he hired and paid for their advice and still really believes it to be true.

I'm glad that Duff and Axl are friends again but Slash and Duff both tell the same story about many of the things that went wrong including the signing over the rights to the GNR name but only Slash is the lier? It doesn't make much sense to me at this point in time. As far as I'm concerned it should have all blown over no matter what happened about 10 years ago. The past is the past and time should have healed that shit. Life is too short to waste so much time with hate especially when there is a lot of miscommunication about the facts. It would be a lot healthier to get to the bottom of it if you ask me. "

Well when you have Beta and her family always reminding Axl that slash is the bad guy, how can anyone let it go.

If Beta wasn't in the Axl camp, I am sure Slash and Axl would have patched things up years ago.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Wasn't Duff's comment on Slash's take... "That's not exactly how I remember it." Or something to that effect?

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Pride will allow neither to give in now. Axl getting back with Slash would admit in some unspoken way he was wrong.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
misterID wrote:

Wasn't Duff's comment on Slash's take... "That's not exactly how I remember it." Or something to that effect?

Back in the VR days, Duff basically backed up most of Slash's version of events, which is probably why Axl in 2002 decided to go ahead and attack Duff as "spineless" and basically a flip-flopper out for number one.

When Duff went to write his book, suddenly Duff introduced an entirely different timeless into the history of GN'R, and it wasn't Slash's.

I think Duff's words was "Slash has his truth, and that's cool. But his truth is not my truth" or something similar to that. It was Duff's nice way of basically saying he doesn't remember the history of Slash's events playing out the way Slash says.

I think that's even more interesting considering that Duff stayed in GN'R two years after Slash quit. So at one point Duff was willing to be Axl's contract player and was at somepoint on board with Axl on the future of GN'R, even if it was a GN'R sans Slash.

Anybody read Duff's book? Does it elaborate on that 1990-2000 period more?

-D- wrote:

Pride will allow neither to give in now. Axl getting back with Slash would admit in some unspoken way he was wrong.

I think so too. I'm gonna make a longer, bigger post to elaborate some thoughts you guys have stimulated in me in the last few days.

misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Not to Hijack, but someone said they wanted the Hey Joe Slash, and this is almost 10 years old!!!!!  Fuck, badass shit here.

That was me smile

See what happens when he surrounds himself with good musicians? Imagine if he did an album like this with Robert Plant?

Agreed. This is what I always felt. Slash was/is so talented that Slash didn't even need to surround himself with a vocalist. Slash could've recorded legendary instrumental albums, or even went into soundtrack work as well and been quite the prolific musician on that front.

This has been the biggest thing that has plagued me in my love of Slash. I WANT TO LOVE Slash... but I just don't. Most of his work leaves ALOT to be desired, and unlike quite a few of the Slashites around here, one great guitar solo in a song, surrounded by shit, does not make it a great song--period.

Slash fucking nailed it on that Hey Joe guitar work, but again... Steve Winwood, who I like, imo was not the right vocalist for that song. Izzy would've been a better choice vocally, because imo Winwood is actually too good and Hendrix had kind of a gravely, earthy, and a little bit shitty voice--but it worked beautifully for his music.

That's why I was always such a big fan of the VR-concept with Izzy & Duff sharing vocal duties on four-piece guitar-driven band. GN'R basically sans Axl, and if Izzy would've had his way, that would've been it. I think the music would've been great, because it would've been straight up GN'R side-songs, like albums full of Dust N' Bones/14 Years/So Fine-type tracks.

Slash just refuses to surround himself (not counting Winwood, Cox & Mitchell) by talented enough people. Imagine Chris Cornell & Slash, Jerry Cantrell, and maybe Jeff Ament or someone and Dave Grohl on a full album as a group. That's what i'm talking about. I LOVED IT when Slash performed with Lemmy & Ozzy. Perfect blend for his guitar, but these guys ain't just pretenders, they are rock Gods. These guys know what they are doing.

Even Axl went on and pieced-together parts of GN'R from other talented, or undiscovered acts from the underground that have serious skillz.

Slash to me just always comes across as preferring to perform with literally the kind of bands that Sammy fucking Hagar would perform with, and imo that holds him back. Especially his ecclectic taste in vocalists.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Axlin, what did you think of Bent to Fly?  Just seeing your thoughts on Slash's newest song.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

This has been the biggest thing that has plagued me in my love of Slash. I WANT TO LOVE Slash... but I just don't. Most of his work leaves ALOT to be desired, and unlike quite a few of the Slashites around here, one great guitar solo in a song, surrounded by shit, does not make it a great song--period.

Slash just refuses to surround himself (not counting Winwood, Cox & Mitchell) by talented enough people. Imagine Chris Cornell & Slash, Jerry Cantrell, and maybe Jeff Ament or someone and Dave Grohl on a full album as a group. That's what i'm talking about. I LOVED IT when Slash performed with Lemmy & Ozzy. Perfect blend for his guitar, but these guys ain't just pretenders, they are rock Gods. These guys know what they are doing.

Slash to me just always comes across as preferring to perform with literally the kind of bands that Sammy fucking Hagar would perform with, and imo that holds him back. Especially his ecclectic taste in vocalists.

This is EXACTLY where I stand with Slash as a performer. A group with Cantrell, Cornell, Slash, Duff and Grohl would for me be the ultimate opportunity for him to raise his game back to the level he operated on in the Axl days.

I have bought and do listen to Slash's albums but find myself just like Axlin, always that creeping feeling of being a little under-fucking-whelmed. I feel exactly the same about CD, hence my monomania about a reunion. It;s the A+S = FUCK ME! equation that I miss.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Axlin, what did you think of Bent to Fly?  Just seeing your thoughts on Slash's newest song.

I heard World On Fire on the radio, and thought it was another ruined by Myles. I listened to Bent To Fly, and was quite surprised. This might be the single on the album, like I felt about "Standing In The Sun" on the last album.

Bent To Fly itself is loaded with Seattle mythos. Slash's guitar sounds great on it, and Myles is better than usual. But listening to it, I can't help but think how much more amazing it would've been with a Chris Cornell, or an imitator of him, or even taking the song a different direction.

I can't help but think what Bent To Fly would've sounded like as a VR song with Weiland on vocals. It might've been more badass than it is. Either way, again. Good song, Slash is fucking Slash, melody is solid, but could've been great with some alternate vocals in places, and I would've hit the second chorus with a low tempo, ala Alice In Chains. jmho

Board footer