You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Matt Sorum open to Playing with Current GNR Line-up

Axlin16 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Axlin, you tie your story up with a nice bow, but you have no real claim to your version having more merit than intercourse's.  Intercourse at least has quotes and some facts. You seem to be the one that over states the negatives of Slash and Duff to justify all of Axl's actions.  I posted here yesterday what Marc Canter said just two days ago.  If a guy like Axl can be influenced by someone like fucking Beta and Fernando, what do you think it was like when GNR was getting huge by his lawyers and yes men?  They were telling him what you are saying almost convincing him that Slash and Duff are going to die, etc. control now so when it melts you have a band. While all this is going on, Axl is in never ending lawsuits, a rocky relationship with Seymour, seeing therapists, finding himself, etc... You are going to tell me his unstable bi polar ass all of the fucking sudden decides he is going to take charge for all pure and noble reasons?  None of this has to do with him being influenced and going for an opportunity to control the money train?  Axl is NOT a good businessman. He is a great artist.  Understand that.  He doesn't promote shit. He cost the band Millions with riots, bloated videos and lawsuits.  The band gave him a big leash though so they can't really bitch.  Slash was a fuck up, yes, BUT NEVER MISSED A SHOW DUE TO HIS HABITS.  AND USUALLY PLAYED REALLY FUCKING WELL.  So not a real liability.  Also, who ran the UYI sessions?  Who??? SLASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Slash ran all that shit with the band.  He was the damn conductor and Axl layed his vocals and piano etc.  Or worked on the synth like November Rain. But Slash is the one that set up sessions.  Lined up shit in Mobile, AL or Chicago, IL to get the band to different places to record and get away, etc.  So even in Slash's fucked up state, he really kept things under control in the studio and hammered all those songs out, etc.  Not Axl.  If it were up to Axl we would still be waiting on UYI....  So you say a lot of good shit, and a lot of bull shit at the same time.

Again, you tie your story up with a nice bow... as long as it's snakeskin and has a mini Top Hat on it. Completely biased take--again. And btw, most of my statements are from SLASH (not Axl) and his own auto-biography. (wtf dude?)

All I know is Axl said for YEARS that 1990 the name thing came up in the band re-nego. Alan Niven (who fucking hates him) backed his story and timeline up.

Slash & Duff's story changed numerous times.

They're liars, and continue to misrepresent the past.

Boom, i'm done, i'm out. My opinion--over.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

Quotes from Izzy, the man who was there...

During our first concert in London (Donnington), kids died during the show. What the f**k is that? Is that rock `n` roll? It`s to have fun and then read in the newspaper of an airport that kids died during your concert? It`s fun to play in stadiums every evening and to start a riot in Saint Louis because the singer threw a fit? You really manage at some point to say to yourself: "none of this is funny anymore."

"It`s very important, and I have to say that since 1985, Alan Niven always dealt admirably with me. When he was fired by GN’R, that really annoyed me, and that definitely precipitated my decision to leave the band. What`s more, Niven knows rock music like the back of his hand, and that counts for a lot..."

Push finally came to shove in the fall after GN' R completed the first European leg of the tour. Stradlin says he confronted Rose and the band with some changes he felt had to be made "for the sake of the livelihood of the band." One of them was ending the chronic lateness of the shows. Stradlin even went so far as to propose that the responsible party should be fined. That was the last straw.
      "It was really fucked that it even had to come into play, to base something like that on money," Stradlin grumbles. "But the reality was that it was bumming me out, to be waiting there because someone else is late. It's just not fair to the audience, to the other band members. And the crew! When you go on three hours late, that's three hours less sleep they get."

"I expressed my feeling to Axl," he continues, "and the very next night on MTV I saw that I was going to be replaced by the guy in Jane's Addiction. So I took that as an indication that I'd really pissed him off."
      Stradlin insists that he never wanted to quit GN' R and pursue a solo career. "But Axl made it clear that he was going to do things his way, and there was no space for debate," he says.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Intercourse. Stop making sense, your facts are getting in the way of Axlin's good story.

Sky Dog wrote:

use your illusions all you want...hell will freeze over before Axl brings back Matt. He was insignificant back then and would be insignificant now. Simple as that....not one Gnr writing credit under his name and not a very good drummer anyway...certainly not as good as Josh Freese, Brain or even Frank. He was good on a few songs but overall, he is just too stiff.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

use your illusions all you want...hell will freeze over before Axl brings back Matt. He was insignificant back then and would be insignificant now. Simple as that....not one Gnr writing credit under his name and not a very good drummer anyway...certainly not as good as Josh Freese, Brain or even Frank. He was good on a few songs but overall, he is just too stiff.

I'm not a fan of Matt's drumming, but since drums were utterly awful on CD, I think Axl could use him. Josh Freese and Brain are 2 of the most overrated drummers on the planet. Brain's style doesn't even fit GN'R, not even Axl's "vision GN'R". Frank...he's the best for GN'R out of the last 3, but he still can't play YCBM, so... Matt wins.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

Brain's drumming on TWAT (although it's note for note from Josh's take) is sensational.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

Quotes from Izzy, the man who was there...

During our first concert in London (Donnington), kids died during the show. What the f**k is that? Is that rock `n` roll? It`s to have fun and then read in the newspaper of an airport that kids died during your concert? It`s fun to play in stadiums every evening and to start a riot in Saint Louis because the singer threw a fit? You really manage at some point to say to yourself: "none of this is funny anymore."

"It`s very important, and I have to say that since 1985, Alan Niven always dealt admirably with me. When he was fired by GN’R, that really annoyed me, and that definitely precipitated my decision to leave the band. What`s more, Niven knows rock music like the back of his hand, and that counts for a lot..."

Push finally came to shove in the fall after GN' R completed the first European leg of the tour. Stradlin says he confronted Rose and the band with some changes he felt had to be made "for the sake of the livelihood of the band." One of them was ending the chronic lateness of the shows. Stradlin even went so far as to propose that the responsible party should be fined. That was the last straw.
      "It was really fucked that it even had to come into play, to base something like that on money," Stradlin grumbles. "But the reality was that it was bumming me out, to be waiting there because someone else is late. It's just not fair to the audience, to the other band members. And the crew! When you go on three hours late, that's three hours less sleep they get."

"I expressed my feeling to Axl," he continues, "and the very next night on MTV I saw that I was going to be replaced by the guy in Jane's Addiction. So I took that as an indication that I'd really pissed him off."
      Stradlin insists that he never wanted to quit GN' R and pursue a solo career. "But Axl made it clear that he was going to do things his way, and there was no space for debate," he says.

Let it go, dude. You're litigating something nearly 20 years old that's a he said she said, which none of us know the answer and weren't a part of. They all have their stories. We can go round and round about all the holes in ALL of their stories, including the above quotes and things that don't add up. I'm not doing it. Tej pretty much said it better than I could.

Yes, Axl's the villain. He's the bad guy. It was all his fault. If that makes you feel better, for whatever reason, there you go.

Intercourse

Intercourse wrote:
misterID wrote:

Yes, Axl's the villain. He's the bad guy. It was all his fault. If that makes you feel better, for whatever reason, there you go.

You sound pissed off, that was not my intention.
I'm, not on anybody's side, just using quotes from those that were there to try to establish where the truth is.
Its been done to death but there's not much to discuss these days.
I could give two shits about Slash & Axl on a personal level, compared to the rest of us they have an embarrassment of riches and good luck.
You should follow my lead.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

I think you can't really understate how junked/wasted the band was. Smoking Guns posted this video a little while ago...the only person that has any sort of composure is Axl. It looks like he tries to take the interview seriously, meanwhile Slash is comparing his cock to a Heineken bottle and AIDS then throwing it and smashing it across the room.

I have no dog in this fight, certainly not as much as anybody, but when posting quotes from someone like Izzy (who was apparently so much of a junkie they had to turn his amps down before he quit) I think you need to remember the context. Just like you have to remember Axl's general insanity when considering what he says.

Intercourse

Intercourse wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

I think you can't really understate how junked/wasted the band was. Smoking Guns posted this video a little while ago...the only person that has any sort of composure is Axl. It looks like he tries to take the interview seriously, meanwhile Slash is comparing his cock to a Heineken bottle and AIDS then throwing it and smashing it across the room.

I have no dog in this fight, certainly not as much as anybody, but when posting quotes from someone like Izzy (who was apparently so much of a junkie they had to turn his amps down before he quit) I think you need to remember the context. Just like you have to remember Axl's general insanity when considering what he says.

I fully agree Flash, since I'm off using Izzy quotes lets not ignore this one..
"I stopped everything (drugs and alcohol) a year before leaving the band. So, during this year, I attended the spectacle of my friends killing themselves. I didn`t want to be an accomplice to that, I didn`t want to wake up one day next to Slash`s corpse telling myself that indirectly, I`d participated in it. And so, I left."

Izzy quit GNR as much because the guys were out of control as Axl was trying to take full control.

I guess I didn't make my point well enough for ID and Axlin, that story that Axl used about him taking GNR as the guys killing themselves never saw the light of day until that interview with Del what - 20 years later?

When Axl referenced Izzy leaving he said this:

"MUSICIAN: Does that take something out of the band? It seems as if Guns N' Roses has gone from being a shared vision to being your vision. Is that fair?

AXL: Yeah, it's somewhat fair. That's definitely the case with Izzy. Izzy wanted the financial rewards and the power rewards of my vision. Izzy's vision was much smaller. The other guys in the band just thought I was crazy. In order to make certain things happen, certain people had to think certain ideas were completely their own. I definitely knew what I wanted. I didn't know quite how to get there. And sometimes the only way to have everybody going the same place is to allow them to think that they're the ones who thought of it. It's not so much that way anymore and it's been real difficult to uncover that reality. It's been hard for people to accept. But it has been a basic reality of Guns N' Roses since the beginning. It just wasn't seen. Because I wasn't someone who had all the answers and all the plans, I just had a vision. I wasn't necessarily someone that people wanted to follow blindly and say, "He's got the plan, let's go." I've finally earned respect from Duff and Slash that wasn't necessarily fully there before. And Slash and I, more than anyone else, are very much a team."

Note the use of the words "power rewards" by Axl.

He also stated in Rolling Stone in 1992:
"My personal belief is that Izzy never really wanted something this big. There were responsibilities that Izzy didn't want to deal with. He didn't want to work at the standards that Slash and I set for ourselves."

You also have this quote from Axl from the same time frame..(RIP Mag Oct 1992)..

EL: When you and Slash aren't at each other's throats, you're really a force to be reckoned with.

AXL: Let me say something about us being at each other's throats: We haven't really been that way in the past year and a half. I love the guy. We're like opposite poles of energy, and we balance each other out. We push each other to work harder and complement each other that way. We had a run-in in Dayton [Ohio], because both myself and Dougie thought he said something shitty to me onstage. That was the night I cut my hand to the bone. Backstage we have monitors much like the ones onstage, and while I was back there dealing with my hand, I thought I heard him take a potshot at me. I wrapped my hand up in a towel and was like, "Let's get it taken care of, so I can finish the show." I came back onstage and was a dick to him and told him I'd kick his f?!king ass in front of 20,000 people. That was f?!ked up. I was wrong, and I apologized the second I realized I was mistaken. Someone who is supporting me as strongly as he does is a hand I never want to bite.

My point is that Axl's words from back in the day indicate that he and Slash were very much on the same page and Slash was delivering to his level of satisfaction.
Posters here can make up any conclusions they like but these are quotes that flat out disprove Axl's more recent statements...and he was the SOBER one back then!!

Board footer