You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: "Like family members who were dead."

polluxlm wrote:

Yeah, but that's no different than you guys thinking Slash reinvents sliced bread with each solo album. People like what they like. We don't think he will ever be relevant anymore though, neither of them really.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

His past isn't overvalued... His current state isn't either, because most people don't put a lot of stock in him at all.  He only people that over value him TODAY, is hard core gunners.. Like us.

This is simply just... not true. Axl is a man that can't even walk into any club, building, TV production office, anything... without being surrounded by butt kissers and people marking out to him like God just walked through the building.

People in the media who bash him, post videos of his suckage, go to concerts and swear that "he's back, and vocally the best i've ever seen" blah blah blah.

Axl Rose is a legendary rock star. He wouldn't have been inducted into the Hall of Fame if he didn't have some celebrity value. And even when GN'R DID go in to the Rock Hall, the media covered the whole spectacle from the perspective of if, when, and what Axl was going to do. Even Axl turned down the Hall, nobody even noticed Izzy did the same. Nobody talked about who "Slash will perform with". Nobody cared. It was all about Axl.

The man continues to be a myth among mere mortals to those who properly pay attention to what Axl has done. He's the original troll. Pre-internet, and he's punked the entire business. The entire fucking BUSINESS.

You gotta love him for that, and he's still doing it today. Nobody cares anymore, because they are tired of "not getting it".

Axl doesn't give a fuck. Not about their system. Their business. How they fucking fry eggs. Axl doesn't care, and the older I get, the MORE I love him for that, not hate him.

The music business isn't built around that. Axl DOES NOT have a master plan. He's just a man. Nothing more. But he's an INDIVIDUAL. With an INDIVIDUAL perspective.

The music business is built to be collectivists for capitalism, or the other way around. Whatever. The whole thing is built for conformity. And Axl still refuses to do that. Axl doesn't get out of bed for Universal, or Geffen, or RCA, or MTV, or those guys. Axl gets out of bed for AXL. And that doesn't make him a narcissist, it makes him the last of his kind.

A Rebel Without A Cause

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

I agree with all of what you say Axlin, its what keeps me fascinated with the man also. However the cabaret gigs in Vegas throw a big spanner into the myth for me as does his rent a family entourage..

Axl should be like Springsteen is now, older,  fit as a fucking army cat and able to fill a huge venue anywhere in the world just by showing up. Instead we have an absolute fucking rock legend mincing around stage playing to middle-aged couples in Hawaiian shirts who see him as part of corporate entertainment product called "the Strip Experience" rather than an experience within itself.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

I dunno. I've seen them a lot in Vegas, and just like any other place, they seem like hardcore fans are all there. Purely anecdotal, but my two cents..

johndivney wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

I agree with all of what you say Axlin, its what keeps me fascinated with the man also. However the cabaret gigs in Vegas throw a big spanner into the myth for me as does his rent a family entourage..

Axl should be like Springsteen is now, older,  fit as a fucking army cat and able to fill a huge venue anywhere in the world just by showing up. Instead we have an absolute fucking rock legend mincing around stage playing to middle-aged couples in Hawaiian shirts who see him as part of corporate entertainment product called "the Strip Experience" rather than an experience within itself.

nail on the head.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

Yeah but Intercourse, what you're saying pretty much is every rock star isn't it? You're basically saying that because Axl's audience is getting older, and thus GNR's, that somehow he's just another washed up hack playing Vegas. Aren't they all? The business has entirely changed, you go where the money is, such as international touring with Guns, and considering that the Vegas Hard Rock is literally a pickup truck drive in your pajamas away from Axl's house.... I think we can all give him a pass on this.

Springsteen is a complete anomaly. Nobody does that in reality. In fairness Axl at least tries to give the audience a near 3-hour show, and doesn't lip-sync to pre-recorded auto-tune, unless alot.

I do with Axl had been more like Springsteen, but he's just not. That doesn't completely discredit him.

What if Axl said, i'm not gonna fucking record to make some suit money? Possibly, but he can't devalue himself by recording every single album for free, or no one would fund him to record.

If Axl doesn't feel the music is ready, done, or he isn't ready... he isn't fuckin' ready. The nature of the beast. Doesn't mean we throw the baby out with the bath water in frustration and misunderstanding.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

The man continues to be a myth among mere mortals to those who properly pay attention to what Axl has done. He's the original troll. Pre-internet, and he's punked the entire business. The entire fucking BUSINESS.

A Rebel Without A Cause

Yep. Was listening to a podcast yesterday and they were talking about two of Axl's troll ideas that were fortunately shot down by the record label. The first was using a picture of the Challenger shuttle explosion as the cover for Appetite. This was like a year after the tragedy. To say it would have been destroyed by critics and even music fans is an understatement. But looking back at it almost 30 years later it seems brilliant. Axl was ahead of his time in that regard.

Then there's the Sweet Child video. GN'R has never been cooler than they were in that video. Pretty normal clothes, black and white video in a warehouse. Straightforward kickass rock and roll...arguably the best pure rock song in history. Axl mentioned on the Eddie Trunk show that he wanted the video to be about a lady smuggling heroin through a dead baby. Twisted as hell, TROLLISH as hell, and also brilliant as fuck when you look back on it 30 years after the fact. But GN'R would have likely failed miserably if he got his way on these two troll attempts with the album cover and SCOM video.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

He's like Lucas. Someone needs to tell his genius to slow the fuck down so the rest of us can follow.

And like Lucas that type of craziness is exactly why my love for them grows every year.

Lomax wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

He's like Lucas. Someone needs to tell his genius to slow the fuck down so the rest of us can follow.

And like Lucas that type of craziness is exactly why my love for them grows every year.

Georgie boy Lucas?

The-People-vs-George-Lucas.jpg

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Yep. Was listening to a podcast yesterday and they were talking about two of Axl's troll ideas that were fortunately shot down by the record label. The first was using a picture of the Challenger shuttle explosion as the cover for Appetite. This was like a year after the tragedy. To say it would have been destroyed by critics and even music fans is an understatement. But looking back at it almost 30 years later it seems brilliant. Axl was ahead of his time in that regard.

I think it's a terrible idea. Luck, chance, fate, timing or whatever you want to call it played a HUGE role in the rise of GNR. Hell, the iconic album cover itself was due to the original being tossed by Geffen. That small move most definitely played a role in AFD's legacy(imagine the album's legacy where the cross doesn't exist).

Using the shuttle for the album would have got negative reaction because it would have been just to get media attention. AFD would have rotted on store shelves.  That album did not need manufactured hype/controversy to sell it.

From the time the bike was first mentioned(2002) until the album was finally released(2008), someone at Uni should have vetoed CD's album cover. Has to be one of the worst(if not THE worst) album cover from a mainstream band. Hell, those fake fan made bike covers were all better looking than the real cover.

The alternate CD covers weren't any better either.

I agree 1000% that no band ever looked cooler than GNR did in SCOM, although I think Axl reached his peak in the cool department at Farm Aid. Image wise it was all downhill from there.

Board footer