You are not logged in. Please register or login.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

Re: Ron stirs tempest in a teapot

apex-twin wrote:

Only in GNR land can this happen. Given how, ahem, critical some of the posters at MSL's boards have been about Ron's 'Is he out or what?' situation with the band, Alternative Nation gave their figurehead a chance to provide with some questions for a Ron interview. He crowdsourced and cherrypicked them from within their ranks (full disclosure: the Blowout-NYC question was from our man Will), and well enough, the interview actually took place.

Props for MSL for doing it, but it's still a strange pretext. Anyway...

http://www.alternativenation.net/interv … hout-band/

Today I had the chance to interview Ron “Bumblefoot” Thal. While Bumblefoot touched on many topics including his relationship with Joe Satriani, Art of Anarchy, a potential Little Brother Is Watching world tour and his favorite GNR material, Ron was very hesitant to answer anything related to Guns N’ Roses. I was able to get him to discuss his favorite GNR tracks and recording the “Pink Panther Theme,” but otherwise he said that talking about GNR would give him a headache.

Bumblefoot also discussed recording the Art of Anarchy album, and how Scott Weiland worked with the band, praising his work, but being unsure of his commitment to the band. Thank you to MSL and GNRTruth for providing many questions.

Are you planning a Little Brother is Watching World Tour?

It’s possible. I would love to, I definitely want to, I need to, I should. However, first I want to nurture the album a little bit more, I want to put out more videos, I want to do more things to let people know that it exists so people can check out the music and get to know it. After that though, I would like to hit the road, all over the place.

What accomplished songwriters that you’ve worked with have influenced your solo work most?

(Laughs) Ones that I have worked with that have influenced me the most? Let me think. Accomplished, that I’ve worked with? There are accomplished songwriters that I haven’t worked with, and songwriters that I have worked with that weren’t accomplished at all! I would say the one person that has it all is Tony Harnell (of TNT), he writes beautiful melodies and definitely makes me think a bit more when it comes to vocal melody.

Is there any material you initially wrote for GNR that ended up on your album?

Yes, I had two songs, “Argentina” and “Don’t Know Who To Preach To Anymore” that when I first wrote them I left them unfinished and I was thinking that I could bring them to the table with GNR but I felt ultimately that both songs were better fits on my solo album.

A three part question here: What is your favorite original GNR song, your favorite Chinese Democracy song, and your favorite unreleased GNR song?

Did you get the memo about no GNR questions or no?

No sir, I was never informed of that.

Oh, well, I’m sorry, I’m not supposed to talk about GNR. I will answer this question but from here-on we cannot discuss GNR. It actually would be fucking fantastic if you skipped every question you had about them from here-on. It would save a lot of headache. However, my favorite original GNR song is “Don’t Cry”. For personal reasons, of course it’s a beautiful song but that was also a time during shows where I would play the solo, the fans would sing along and it was my own personal chance to connect with the audience and that made that song extra special for me.

As far as stuff off of Chinese, I would say “Shackler’s Revenge” because of all the crazy setlist stuff, two handed stuff and doing that wild singing, it kept me busy and out of trouble.

How much time did Scott Weiland spend writing and recording with you guys in the studio, and did it come off to you like he was committed to the band, or just doing it for the check?

(Sigh) Well, he started off and wrote one song with us, he did everything in his own studio and had Doug Grean, his former right hand man doing everything with him at his place. Scott did one song called “Til The Dust Is Gone” and it came out beautifully. In fact, it’s probably going to be one of the singles. We shot a video for it and then he agreed to do the whole album so he pretty much banged out really quickly, in about a month. Scott would just write, write, write & hand things over. It was great.
As far as getting inside of his mind or spread any sort of negative dirt, that I cannot get into or even tell you. That is not stuff that I can answer.

Have you considered doing guitar and vocals for Art of Anarchy if there is a tour and more albums after the debut is released?

I don’t think so, no, because Art of Anarchy was created as a supergroup. Meaning, it would have a singer with one background, me in there with another background…etc. I think that’s what made it special and if I take over vocal duties I would compare that to teaching a three legged dog to run. I would love to if Scott was willing to see it through but if he didn’t then I would love to find someone that would be willing to see it through.

What is the current status of Blowout-NYC? Any plans for more shows?

There is no status, that’s not happening. Yeah, we did one show and everyone is too busy doing other things so that’s just not going to happen.

Can you tell me about the recording session for the track “Pink Panther Theme.” I understand most members of GNR contributed with the exception of Axl.

That one, we actually played live and then I put it in my solos at my place. We did it live in California and then we took it live before we hit the road and I wrote my solos on it, spending around three weeks trying to transcribe it.

What was it like meeting Joe Satriani and playing with him? Do you have a favorite song of Satriani’s you like to play?

Joe is just a sweetheart, just a wonderful guy. We stay in touch, we see each other, whenever Chickenfoot would come into town I try and get over there and say hello. One of my favorites is “Always With You”. That song has such a beautiful melody and could go on forever and never stop being beautiful.

Wonderful track. Beautiful song, I would like to thank you for taking par-

Hey listen, do you have some actual questions for me about my solo album, or no? Anything of interest that you want me to tell you about, anything? Anything that doesn’t have to do with GNR or Scott Weiland?

Here, I’ll tell you something cool about the new album, one thing that was cool about it was that I really enjoyed the process. I had 100 fans and friends and we all met at a venue in Brooklyn. So, like this listening party but the album wasn’t finished yet. We played each song in the state that they were in at the time, talked about each song with a little Q&A talking about what each song was about as well as different things. I then showed everybody different parts to sing and we sang them together so the album has group vocals of about 100 different people chanting stuff and singing different stuff. That is something that I really wanted to do.

For me, albums I like including people that are actually going to be listening to the stuff and make them part of the process. To me that’s most special because it’s for everybody, not just for me.

Then, the interviewer chimed in.

Hey everyone. This is Mike Mazzarone and I was the one that conducted the interview.

I will do my best to really explain the situation here. When I confirmed regarding the interview with Ron, I was never, under any circumstance told by his publicist that anything was off limits. Therefore and logically we used questions regarding Scott Weiland, GNR, and more hot button topics. Softballs were included and we are going to do a full review of the album, however when I was told "Did you get the memo about no GNR questions", that was the first time I had heard such a thing. By Ron himself. I had many more questions that I was going to use and that wasn't useable because of that last second curveball. Ron never told me that it was due to legal issues or a gag order, he said that he just didn't want to discuss it. While he did answer the three parter, he even felt nervous about that.

I honestly put full blame on the publicist, however Ron was just as unprofessional about his handling over the phone about it. However, and I can't stress this enough, I was never told ONCE that any questions about Guns N' Roses were off limits.

It's all getting a bit tangled, eh?

Next, the interviewer changed forums and provided an update for MyGNR.

Hello everyone.

Once again, this is Mke Mazzarone from AlternativeNation. I will do what I can to explain what happened. To those who have said that I knew GNR questions weren't allowed, that couldn't be further from the truth. When I booked this interview, I was never given a full fledged anything regarding topics being "off limits". I have also spoke to BBF's PR, numerous times, he had the chance, numerous times to explain to me that GNR questions were "off limits" and he failed to do so. I also, was never given the album by the PR and any further follow-up in an attempt to be able to listen to it was swiftly ignored. Once again, I do ask, how can I ask Bumblefoot about his new album, in any context when I was never given it? It's just not possible.

We asked a few soft ball questions, we asked about a potential tour and about AOA, not only was I told during the interview that he did not want to talk about GNR, which again was the first time I heard about that but he also seemed very hesistant about talking about Scott Weiland.

I did not question anything, I ran through what I had and I published everything in the correct context. I don't feel I was being "unprofessional" when I was given a limited amount of resources by BBF's publicist. I actually got an e-mail from BBF today and he apologized about the how he handled the awkwardness of the interview on his part and made sure that the PR sent over the album. So we will give it a proper review within the coming weeks. I will also note that had I gotten the album, like I was meant to then I would of asked more questions on it. However, I am not going to spend a majority of the interview asking questions about the album and his solo career. My goal is to ask the questions that the majority of music fans care about, and that is questions about Weiland and GNR. All softballs don't cut it. Had I had known that he wanted questions strictly about the solo album and nothing else, I most likely would never have booked this interview. It would be like talking to Mick Foley and not being able to discuss wrestling.

This is the first time that I've ever had such a massive crossing of the wires with any publicist. Whether it be sports, music,film/TV, anything and I believe any blame should be directed towards BBF's PR. Had I gotten the album ahead of time, I would of included a few extra questions. It's really as simple as that. However, this was an isolated event and should not be reflective of my work. I understand that with any interview comes the risk of criticism, however, all of my past interviews that I have done have been done in the upmost professional manner. Sometimes, you get a few rotten publicists that aren't the best at communication. That happens in my field. Rare, but it happens. After speaking to BBF today though, we are on good terms and it is all basically water under the bridge. He understands that what happened was a massive misunderstanding and not the fault of anyone but his publicist.

Hopefully you all can see that as well.

Ah, journalism today.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

BBF comes off like a prick there.

johndivney wrote:

Meh. Just a misunderstanding. He prob wouldn't have done the interview if he knew he was going to be asked about gnr & it all could've been avoided.

The shitty thing is the guys using it against him to score cheap publicity. They could've just said, oh that interviews a bust & not publish it. Instead they use it to score points & try & make Ron look like a bitch at the same time.

He wanted to promote himself & obv doesn't want to deal w/the GnR stuff anymore. Maybe given time he'll be more relexed about it.
It's a familiar story. Hardly cause to shit on the guy.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Or he knew he wouldn't get the interview if they knew GN'R was off limits. I mean, Ron has a publicist that's not going to get across his one stipulation, when he's ranted and railed against how GN'R conducts themselves? Eh, who knows. Maybe it is a "wires crossed" thing.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
misterID wrote:

Or he knew he wouldn't get the interview if they knew GN'R was off limits. I mean, Ron has a publicist that's not going to get across his one stipulation, when he's ranted and railed against how GN'R conducts themselves? Eh, who knows. Maybe it is a "wires crossed" thing.

Or Ron knew HE wouldn't get the interview if GN'R was made off limits.

I am so over this fuckin' guy. His music is not that good, he was Bucket replacement (and a shitty one at that) for 10 years, and even in the times I was trying to be positive towards the guy and a DJ/Ron album, I was trying to be supportive.

Why he has single-handedly made an about face, and turned into "I won't discuss this", "I won't discuss that", on even the most basic questions has absolutely utterly nothing to do with GN'R business, when he used to be so open, and now it's suddenly the interviewers fault?

You made this bed. The only reason anybody is even granting his no-name ass interviews is because he was in GUNS N' FUCKIN' ROSES. That's it. Same thing with the rest of them with the exception of Tommy 'cause of The Replacements, and the slight exception of DJ, because he does get Sixx:AM and Motley questions, because he's co-wrote a shitload of songs in that camp.

Ron isn't Jake E. Lee. But the only future for Ron, with this attitude, is Jake E. Lee territory. He'll just be remembered one day as "that guy that used to play with GN'R", and nothing more. The less and less associated he is with them, the less he'll sell solo material, 'cause he's got nothing to sell.

This guy ain't Slash. He ain't Bucket. He ain't Jake E. Lee. He ain't Doug Aldrich. He ain't Paul Gilbert. He ain't Joe Satriani.

He's exactly what I called him from day one -- Gilby Clarke 2000, minus the old Guns rub. And when that's gone Ron will be what he was, a NJ technical guitarist that would be a good teacher or session worker, that should be more appreciative that the ONLY fanbase he's got has come from the Guns camp.

If he fucking hates GN'R and whatever the fuck happened (and i'm sure something happened) -- that's fine. Stop granting interviews and stop talking and let your music do the talking. But you can't let your music do the talking, because we've heard it....

What else 'ya got?

misterID

misterID wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:
misterID wrote:

Or Ron knew HE wouldn't get the interview if GN'R was made off limits.

I am so over this fuckin' guy. His music is not that good, he was Bucket replacement (and a shitty one at that) for 10 years, and even in the times I was trying to be positive towards the guy and a DJ/Ron album, I was trying to be supportive.

Why he has single-handedly made an about face, and turned into "I won't discuss this", "I won't discuss that", on even the most basic questions has absolutely utterly nothing to do with GN'R business, when he used to be so open, and now it's suddenly the interviewers fault?

You made this bed. The only reason anybody is even granting his no-name ass interviews is because he was in GUNS N' FUCKIN' ROSES. That's it. Same thing with the rest of them with the exception of Tommy 'cause of The Replacements, and the slight exception of DJ, because he does get Sixx:AM and Motley questions, because he's co-wrote a shitload of songs in that camp.

Ron isn't Jake E. Lee. But the only future for Ron, with this attitude, is Jake E. Lee territory. He'll just be remembered one day as "that guy that used to play with GN'R", and nothing more. The less and less associated he is with them, the less he'll sell solo material, 'cause he's got nothing to sell.

This guy ain't Slash. He ain't Bucket. He ain't Jake E. Lee. He ain't Doug Aldrich. He ain't Paul Gilbert. He ain't Joe Satriani.

He's exactly what I called him from day one -- Gilby Clarke 2000, minus the old Guns rub. And when that's gone Ron will be what he was, a NJ technical guitarist that would be a good teacher or session worker, that should be more appreciative that the ONLY fanbase he's got has come from the Guns camp.

If he fucking hates GN'R and whatever the fuck happened (and i'm sure something happened) -- that's fine. Stop granting interviews and stop talking and let your music do the talking. But you can't let your music do the talking, because we've heard it....

What else 'ya got?

This. All this.

When is his contract up? July? I know he mentioned it in an interview. I'll be willing to throw some money in a pool to get Buckethead back. There's some talk that he's having big money problems right now.

huntermc
 Rep: 12 

huntermc wrote:
misterID wrote:

I'll be willing to throw some money in a pool to get Buckethead back. There's some talk that he's having big money problems right now.

In the last two years, Bucket's released over 100 half-hour EP's ("Pikes") on Bandcamp. For each one, he's released a $9 digital download, a $25 signed edition, and a $35 edition with a hand-drawn cover. Based on the numbed copies I've seen posted on the Buckehead boards, I'd estimate he's selling between 100-300 of each of these, maybe even more for the download versions. I'm not sure how much of a cut Bandcamp keeps, but that could easily put him at a million dollars worth of sales in the last two years alone.

However, knowing that his mom recently passed away, and with the state of the American health care system, it's possible that he could be churning these out simply to pay off her medical expenses.

Regardless, whenever the follow-up to Chinese Democracy comes out, I hope it will still included Bucket's contributions both in songwriting and solos, and Axl doesn't feel the need to replace him with DJ's solos.

misterID

misterID wrote:

The rumor is he's trying to pay off his own medical expenses.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

The funny thing is, Alternative Nation ran a story on Ron NOT talking about Guns a month before the interview. 16

http://www.alternativenation.net/bumble … s-n-roses/

It's funny. Here's an interview published right around the time of the last Vegas show last year. He mentions the club tour of early 2012, following the first Vegas residency.

Ron wrote:

One very difficult show was I played Philadelphia in 2012 with Guns and I was on this nerve-blocker for my spine. I had been in a car accident and the medicine only worked for a month and I had a one month’s supply. Actually, I got a little extra but pretty much the medicine will ONLY work in your body a month and then after that it will stop working.

We had a three week tour, or four weeks, whatever it was, and then on four days’ notice, they didn’t tell us, they booked another three weeks of shows and I needed to take treatments, I needed to get things done, I needed to take care of my health, and they just ignored that and booked these shows.

The first show after that one month was up, I took the pills and they didn’t work and I could barely walk and I had to try and do a three hour show where even if you had just touched the top of my head, it was like someone taking a giant knife and just shoving it in your neck and twisting it.

And I had to play a show like that and I could barely move. I had to sit down for a couple of songs and I remember just walking like I was petrified. I could barely bend my knees and my spine, I just couldn’t move. There was just so much pain. I had to do a show like that and many shows after that.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
misterID wrote:

The rumor is he's trying to pay off his own medical expenses.

Yep, and his dad also died. He could have a stack of bills.

Board footer