You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Abbey_Road
 Rep: 16 

Re: "Sam" the butcher (actor Allan Melvin) from the Brady Bunch dies

Abbey_Road wrote:

http://cbs4denver.com/entertainment/bra … 33740.html

'Brady Bunch' Actor Allan Melvin Dies
The actor best known for playing Sam the Butcher on "The Brady Bunch" has died.

Allan Melvin's wife says he died of cancer at his home in the Brentwood section of Los Angeles. He was 84.

Melvin spent decades playing a series of sidekicks, second bananas and lovable lugs, including Archie Bunker's friend Barney Hefner on "All in the Family," and Sergeant Bilko's right-hand man Corporal Henshaw on the "Phil Silvers Show."

But his place in pop culture may be fixed by his role as butcher and bowler Sam Franklin, the love interest of Brady family maid Alice Nelson.
Melvin also appeared in "Stalag 17" on Broadway and found steady work as a voice actor, most famously providing the voice of "Magilla Gorilla" for the Hanna Barbera cartoon of the same name.

Other credits include appearances on "The Andy Griffith Show," "Gomer Pyle: USMC," and "The Dick Van Dyke Show."

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Backslash wrote:

Barney Hefner died?  He was fantastic.  It's a shame, and cancer's a bad way to go.  RIP.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I thought he was already dead.

RIP

Poor Sam

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

That sucks, I saw that guy in a really funny Andy Griffith show.  Barney gets onto him about dumping litter in the street and gives him a ticket.  It's the one where they get the little Judo guy to dress up as Barney and whoop up on him.  I think his character was named Fred on this one...classic.  RIP

Board footer