You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

Re: Donald Trump running for President

slcpunk wrote:
bigbri wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Then you should all welcome a guy like Trump. If anyone is to crash the system, it is him. Me I'd vote for the neighbor's dog if meant no more establishment.

The system is already run by billionaires. How is another billionaire gonna change that.

To me, Trump is just cutting out the middle man. He's a billionaire who decided he would just run for the spot himself rather than funnel money into a politician for results.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Trump can't even handle a Fox News reporter, how the he'll does anyone think he could work with other lawmakers or sitting across the table from Putin?

This is simply not true. The internet is running wild with this as a meme, and it's all being sourced from the Democrat side.

I used to respect Kelly, she used to provide intelligent, un-biased, journalism on Fox News, and hey -- she's gorgeous. She was good at her job.

But since "The Kelly File" started, in the last couple years Kelly has been increasingly turning into the female O'Reilly or Hannity for Fox News. Maybe it has been Kelly's need to try to compete with her male counterparts, but she has embraced reporting on worthless news stories (anybody see that garbage interview with the Duggar family?) and has very much PANDERED to the religious right that view Fox News.

Trump's complaints about how Kelly handled herself on that first Fox News Republican debate were DEAD ON. And I say that as someone who would've only a year ago given Kelly the benefit of the doubt, and slammed Trump. But the Donald was right. And Trump wasn't the only complainer. Behind the scenes, Huckabee, Paul, Cruz, Christie, Walker, Fiorina, and others complained to Fox News that Kelly was out of line with her questions.

The one I HATED the most was when Kelly teased "God" before going to commercial, in order to invoke the name of God, then sell ad time. They get back and she starts asking Facebook questions about God, that had absolutely not a fucking thing to do with what any of them were there to talk about that night. At all. And it's also -- very personal. It was inappropriate and out of line and didn't have fuck all to do with anything. She put them on the spot, just for the sake of sensationalism. And in the last few years she's started to lose me with stuff like that.

Trump's decision to not participate in the debate... ballsy. What he's doing is pulling a J.R. He's trying to break Megyn Kelly, by pulling money out of Rupert Murdoch's mouth. Trump knows he's the brand name that brings the advertising dollars to these debates.

Right now all this 'spin' on "Trump can't handle Megyn Kelly, let alone Putin" is nothing more than political spin to try to make Trump look weak.

I actually see it as making Trump look EVEN MORE like a badass. What he's saying to his followers is, i'm so big, I don't have to participate in the status quo debates, and i'll still get a bump in the polls for doing so. Fuck Fox News. Fuck CNN. Fuck mainstream media.

Like I said... ballsy. We'll find out after tomorrow whether Trump made a smart or dumb play. But it's a chess move, not cowardice. Egotism definitely. Trump is circumventing the system, and I think his supporters are going to see it as the same.

BigBri wrote:

If you are against Trump, he shuts down and resorts to name-calling. If you praise him, he's on your side. As easy to control as a 2-year-old or a well-trained dog. All Putin had to do was say a few nice things about him a few months back, and he was his best friend. A few more nice things from Putin and Trump would have been ready to dissolve NATO. Dude is dangerous not just for the U.S. but the entire world. He's a joke.

Oh please. If you want to call the guy out, call him out on his dickness. But don't call him out on his mouth. That's the biggest refreshing thing about him. He just spews whatever. It's called -- THE TRUTH. It might be HIS truth, but that's why people love him.

Why would we need ANOTHER politician who plays around with Orwellian "word speak" and hides behind politics, instead of just saying what they fucking mean? I'm sick of it, and I know alot of other people are as well. This is why Trump is doing so well, and why he appeals to so many. People feel like the only guys up there telling them the truth are Donald & Bernie, and everyone else are politician liars. Even Ted Cruz & Rand Paul who did this stuff to get to where they were at, have fallen back to politics as usual in their Presidential run, and neither candidate has figured out that Trump & Sanders stole their thunder.

People are sick of being talked to like they are children by these politicians. Trump appeals to the casual American. He talks to them like a New Yorker at a Yankees game. Believe it or not... some people like that.

Guess who rode that wave to success elsewhere?

Putin

bigbri wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Then you should all welcome a guy like Trump. If anyone is to crash the system, it is him. Me I'd vote for the neighbor's dog if meant no more establishment.

The system is already run by billionaires. How is another billionaire gonna change that. If anything, Trump is the one the establishment could control the easiest. He has no firm beliefs; he can be swayed by simplistic compliments, ala Putin.

Trump also could just be being honest. If someone says they love you one day, you love them back. If they say fuck you the next, you tell them fuck you back.

I call it honest. Alot of people do. It's not typical politics. And people are loving it right now. Good or bad.

I also don't believe Trump has no firm beliefs. But I agree he needs to be a bit more forthcoming and open about how he sees America and it's future and his place in it. His entire campaign so far as been to tear everyone else down (and rightfully so---so fucking so).

Maybe Trump is waiting for the nomination, and then the main election cycle to get down to business about his plans. Who knows?

BigBri wrote:

If he gets the nomination, watch who his VP is. It'll be an establishment dude who will be the one to really run things if Trump were to win. The same way Cheney was picked for George W.

This is a damn good point. You're spot on here. I, believe it or not, JUST TODAY had this EXACT conversation with someone who asked me my honest, straight-forward opinion of what Trump would do in this scenario.

I told them the smart decision would be Ventura or Cruz, or even a dark match guy like Paul.

But... in my gut... Trump is going to be seen by advisors as THE "shaker upper",  so the GOP is going to want a more traditional conservative on the ticket as to not alienate the voter base of the standard far right-types that drive the party.

With all of this propping up of Sarah Palin lately, and Palin throwing her support behind Trump and not the tea partier Cruz... I got this BAD feeling that Trump is already resurrecting Palin for a reason.

From their perspective (not mine, I HATE Palin), Palin solves a multitude of problems for a Trump administration. 1) She's female. That immediately helps them counter a Trump vs. Hilary ticket, is the female perspective. 2) She has a RABID fanbase, no different than Trump. Palin already has built in support from people who felt she got robbed in 2008. 3) Palin appeals to far right Republicans, as well as being seen as a Tea Party icon. Palin being on the ticket brings in BOTH neo-con voters & ultra-con Tea Partiers who see Palin as anti-establishment. 4) Palin OWNS the Reality Star/Celebrity politician gimmick that Trump owns as well. Despite what people think of Palin, she is her own brand name of reality/celebrity that Trump is, and she absolutely owns at it. I can't stand her, but I give her credit, she knows how to play the cameras and knows how to work a microphone, even if she's dumb as fuck. Her looks will also be compared to Hilary, no doubt, and no matter how sexist, and she's gonna be seen as the better package, even if her family are spoiled, rich, white fucking trash.

If not Palin, they might consider Rubio or Carson. But, I don't know... the more weeks and weeks go on, the more I see Palin as the logical VP for Trump. It just makes too much sense to not happen.

It'll probably cost Trump my vote if he goes that option. I personally think Trump's daughter Ivanka would be a FAR better option than Palin if he's thinking of going that direction.

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:

No way he'd pick Palin for the Veep spot. Trump is an ass, but he's not stupid.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

That first debate was the worst one, well along with that CNBC cluster fuck too.  Anyway, MK's question was WAY OUT OF LINE.  She tried to take down trump, along with the others, asking stupid fucking questions...

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Cramer wrote:

No way he'd pick Palin for the Veep spot. Trump is an ass, but he's not stupid.

Depends on who he's listening to. Trump throughout this whole thing has made moves that everyone claimed would sink his ship. I personally think Palin is the WRONG choice, but then again, depends on the campaign he's running. McCain's campaign put a leash on Palin, and let the old vampire be front and center, so badly, that most dumb people thought Palin was running for Pres. and not McCain, because Palin was all the media talked about. They were glued to her.

Trump's campaign would let Palin go hog fucking wild. Insults, sex, sensationalism, bravado, *cue Don Henley's "Dirty Laundry*

It would either be suicide, or fucking landslide of a victory. People LOVE THAT SHIT. What if Trump was trending every single night because of it? 25 million tuning in for a Town Hall debate? Money, money, money.

It all depends on what campaign he's going to run when he gets the nomination.

Remember something, Obama didn't get elected in 2008 because he was the right candidate. He got elected because he was "the rock star" Barack Obama. The "great uniter" Obama. 50,000 people at Coors Field (or wherever the fuck it was) Obama. He's a rock star. A celeb. His favorite show on TV is... whatever...

Trump & Palin invented that game, and added chapters to the book.

It all depends on what campaign he's gonna run. Politics or celebrity.

The downside of Palin is, Trump can expect NO middle of the isle moderates to vote for him. None. But if he's got moderate Republicans, conservative Republicans, Tea Partiers, Libertarians, and "White" Kardashian-hype (the media machine, talking about him & Palin ad nauseum). He might not need it.

Still think Trump/Cruz is the better bet.

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:

Trump is the main attraction. He would pick up a counter weight to his wrecking ball approach, not add somebody similar (who polls poorly btw.) Palin's audience has been shrinking drastically over the years, and many from the right media have come out to say they were wrong about her (and that's she's an idiot.)

I also think a Trump/Cruz ticket would hand the election over to the Dems. The establishment GOP despises Cruz immensely as well.

My two cents...

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Palin has no chance. She destroyed her opportunity. She had massive potential. Evo members will remember how I was suggesting Palin as VP months before she was ever picked by McCain. Once she opened her mouth her chances on the global stage died. She had the looks/image to be the first female president but needed to be handled properly. She wasn't. Too unpredictable and couldn't keep her mouth shut. When Buchanan would refer to her as the "next Reagan" I think he could just see the potential there like I could but Pat went overboard.

Palin would have been the PERFECT corporate puppet and could have been pushed into the presidency. The VP run ruined it.

I agree with Cramer and Bri. Trump has to pick someone credible even if its not a career politician. I'd love Jesse of course but other than Jesse's experience as governor, it'd be like Trump picking himself.

I do NOT want Cruz under any circumstances. This may be the most important VP pick in history and he better not blow it.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

UK Perspective: Trump as president, is hard enough to take seriously over here. It seems laughable. That said the same was said over here about Ronnie but he ultimately wasn't laughable (Depending on your politics he was one of the best presidents ever). So I'm not going to rule out a Trump presidency and write it off as a joke. BUT, Trump/Palin. Forget about it, that is a laughable mess, and if Trump is smart he doesn't touch it. Internationally it plays so badly.

I personally just want to see a world leader(s, would like to see this in all countries) who isn't a shill, and has a cool enough head to say  to the other world leaders "The Middle East is terminal, we need to sit round a table and work on a way to make the demise as comfortable as possible and then work together to pick up the pieces from the mess we have all collectively made over the past two centuries". That however is a pipedream and so all I really want in practice is leaders that keep us from nuclear armageddon sad

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Axl S wrote:

Trump as president, is hard enough to take seriously over here. It seems laughable.

Once I would have thought the same but here in Australia we just experienced several years of a hard right-wing government led by a guy who I once dismissed as a joke. To me out of candidates of similar background he was the most clearly a stone-faced liar and clearly couldn't be trusted even amongst people who shared his world view points. I thought the smirk and slime alone would make him unelectable. General public proved me wrong. You never know....

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

One step closer.....

26% reporting   

Trump (won) 33.8%

Kasich 15.5%

Bush 11.6%

Cruz 11.5%

Rubio10.5%

Christie 8.3%

Fiorina 4.4%

Carson 2.3%

Paul 0.7%

Santorum 0.1%

------------

That's a big win for Trump but going by history, winning this primary does not mean as much as the media likes people to believe. That doesn't take away anything from the victory though.  He's just got to get a win streak going to prove that he's unstoppable.

I'm glad that Kasich came in 2nd. Christie is ok but its time for all the dead weight in single digits to get out of the race.

edit:

Sanders 57.9%

Clinton  40.1%

O Malley 0.2%
----------

O Malley....get the hell out of there. I'm so glad Sanders won this primary. I'm sick of the machine pushing Hilary and want Sanders to trounce her in every single primary until they abandon her.

Board footer