You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Dissecting Chinese Democracy: Track 13 - This I Love

Neemo wrote:

Axl Rose has the sole song writing credit on This I Love. It is the oldest known song from the Chinese Democracy era. Rumored to be in its infant stages while the original band was still intact and is most likely to be about his tumultuous breakup with super model Stephanie Seymour. In ‘93, Axl told Hit Parader “I wrote and recorded a new love song that I want on the next record called 'This I Love’, that’s the heaviest thing that I’ve ever done. This I Love was rumored to be set to appear in a Robin Williams film entitled "What Dreams May Come". The song first played live on Dec 11, 2009 in Taipei, Taiwan (also DJ Ashba's First show with Guns N Roses)

Personal notes/opinions on the song:

- Even though the lyrics are a bit cheesy, the vocal performance itself is a great showcase of Axl's ability to carry a song by himself
- The guitar solo,  imo,  is Robin Finck's highlight on the album

I'm shocked it has been voted off so early in the elimination

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Neemo wrote:

Axl Rose has the sole song writing credit on This I Love. It is the oldest known song from the Chinese Democracy era. Rumored to be in its infant stages while the original band was still intact and is most likely to be about his tumultuous breakup with super model Stephanie Seymour. In ‘93, Axl told Hit Parader “I wrote and recorded a new love song that I want on the next record called 'This I Love’, that’s the heaviest thing that I’ve ever done. This I Love was rumored to be set to appear in a Robin Williams film entitled "What Dreams May Come". The song first played live on Dec 11, 2009 in Taipei, Taiwan (also DJ Ashba's First show with Guns N Roses)

Personal notes/opinions on the song:

- Even though the lyrics are a bit cheesy, the vocal performance itself is a great showcase of Axl's ability to carry a song by himself
- The guitar solo,  imo,  is Robin Finck's highlight on the album

I'm shocked it has been voted off so early in the elimination

Same here. I agree with your points. It's probably the most stripped down song on the album too.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Hate it. One of the worst solos I've ever heard and time hasn't done it any favors.  I've been warming up to some of the CD songs but this one is just blah. The listener always knows that solo is coming. 16 I remember when people were playing around with these songs someone took that solo out of it and it certainly improved it. This is Axl's Barry Manilow song. I like Barry but this song doesn't cut the mustard for me. When I first heard it I knew why a few who had commented on it eons ago said it was average. They were right IMO. I wouldn't mind hearing an alternate version of this song at some point.

This was probably the most polarizing track on the album. Half the fans love it and the other half hate it. No middle ground.

Vale
 Rep: 4 

Vale wrote:

Personally I don't get the hate. Especially towards the solo.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

I love the solo – Finck at his most emotive. It is an acquired taste, though; I'd be intrigued to see if Buckethead (or even Slash, back in the day) had laid down some alternate versions. Having said that, the solo does rather drown out the wonderful orchestral work – I fiddled around with it using the multitracks and there's an extraordinary amount of stuff going on in the background. Very dramatic – I'd love to see what Axl could do with a film score, maybe collaborating with Beltrami.

AtariLegend wrote:

Love the solo, love the track. Obviously This I Love was only ever going to survive in a vote to save a track style competition. These competitions have never been good when one of the options is divisive.

There's absolutely no way This I Love would lose in a 1-1 voting round with more than half the tracks on the album and crazy to suggest this is one of the albums low lights.

This I Love being sung by some of the crowd at Rock in Rio 2011 was the first time I seen an audience audibly sing along to a Chinese Democracy track, so it's not exactly hated by crowds either. (In fairness I don't watch many live videos anymore)

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Curiously,

TIL lacks any Sean Beavan involvement. Chances are, it was originally dusted off for that Robin Williams movie, What Dreams May Come, before he arrived. The version we got was then put into the running after Beavan left.

Apparently, it was always excluded from his album, the original CD.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Yeah, didn't like it right off, but has REALLY grown on me.

Another bit of trivia, Axl didn't want to release it, but Finck loved it and got Caram and Tommy to talk Axl into it.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

The vocal work is just too much. When you already have Street of Dreams

Hidden Text:

The Blues

on your album it definitely feels like Manilow territory when this song comes along. Not a bad song, but more fitting for a solo album. On the other hand, when it comes to solos this is pretty much Finck's main moment on CD. His Slash outside a church in the desert. I always liked his weird bends, and here he gets the chance to fully express himself.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

misterID wrote:

Yeah, didn't like it right off, but has REALLY grown on me.

Another bit of trivia, Axl didn't want to release it, but Finck loved it and got Caram and Tommy to talk Axl into it.

I heard that as well. Very interesting.

Board footer