You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Tommy is out(?)

James wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

He's speaking of GNR in past tense.

Yep. IMO it's over. We can still get an album but there's no band because there doesn't need to be one. How much more can these people possibly record over the ton of layers already on it? No touring plans, no recording...

There's no need for a "new" GNR to exist.  In the small chance an album is on the horizon he could release it just like CD and simply coast on the fumes of that until he reaches a point(maybe already reached?) where he'll entertain the possibility of a reunion.

If we go another year with no update from Axl I think it's all over.

There may be some similarities to 02-06 but this time it appears everyone is abandoning ship and they're not being quiet about it. No more of that sooper sekrit stuff with these guys exiting stage left.

IMO we are in the final chapter of the CD era whether we get an album or not. The coming months should(hopefully) be interesting.

AtariLegend wrote:

the concept of an album originally recorded in the late 90's being released almost 20 years later is too ridiculous now.

I agree that even the idea of releasing a new 15 year old album is a stretch. I can only imagine it being released very low key just to unload it and/or fulfill a contract. I still cant comprehend the 7 years and counting wait for it. At least the first album's delays made a tad of sense.

He's waiting for the call it seems to me...

I don't think he's waiting for anything. He knows full well how to act during a wait while the band is in limbo. This aint it. 16

Tommy knows he can balance out The Mats shows with Guns. He has the most qualified understudy in the world. He also knows Guns is the biggest gig he's ever likely to get. Commercially, he can only step down. Just saying, his overall situation is different from Ron and DJ.

Yeah he does have experience balancing things out(GNR, solo, SA) but this feels different. This wasn't his attitude back then.

Only positive thing from his remarks is the fact he is working on whatever his personal problems were.

Personally I don't believe he'd try and put together another band.

Yep. Too late in the game for another rebuilding from near scratch era. I just don't see it.

CD II no tour/little promo

Reunion

retirement

looks like those are the options. I hope he picks the first.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:

Enjoyed the interview and yet more new songs 9

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
misterID wrote:

Again, a reunion just isn't realistic right now, seeing both Axl and Slash have concrete plans for the next year.

I don't know if any of Axl's plans have ever been concrete ... besides you should know better than to put ur faith in any gnr forum news ... same as the album release... when shit is announced in the media I will start to get excited. .. until then it's all hearsay

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Cramer wrote:

The dude says he is out of the band. So in that sense, he's currently out of the band.

A band which is currently doing squat. If they'd pay him a retainer like they used to, he'd still be "in" the band, eh?

Cramer wrote:

The rest is pure speculation on what may happen later, which frankly, is irrelevant. According to Tommy, he is out of the band. The end.

If you want to gloat over it, fine. That's your prerogative. Just saying, you should go the whole nine yards and say everyone (excusing perhaps Ax & Pitman) is out of the band.

Following that logic, you'd be right.

Tommy wrote:

I think that my guess is...that at some point someone is going to call me and tell me what's up with that.

He's waiting to hear whether he has a job to go back to, if he so chooses. But he seems fine either way.

With Guns, it's an endless drama. 16

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Neemo wrote:
misterID wrote:

Again, a reunion just isn't realistic right now, seeing both Axl and Slash have concrete plans for the next year.

I don't know if any of Axl's plans have ever been concrete ... besides you should know better than to put ur faith in any gnr forum news ... same as the album release... when shit is announced in the media I will start to get excited. .. until then it's all hearsay

I'm not putting my faith in anything, but I have my reasons for believing this, and of course it can change. I'd say people who are taking these things as signals that Tommy is out and a reunion is happening are putting their faith in a want and not a fact.

I believe they both have plans that doesn't include reunion.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:

I actually saw Tommy in a coffeeshop Monday night (Frank was his drummer too).  For whatever it's worth he said from the stage, "I was in a band called Weapons And Roses".  I don't know if past tense really counts in an offhand obviously at least partially joking from the way he said it remark from stage, but he for sure said "was".

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
jorge76 wrote:

I actually saw Tommy in a coffeeshop Monday night (Frank was his drummer too).  For whatever it's worth he said from the stage, "I was in a band called Weapons And Roses".  I don't know if past tense really counts in an offhand obviously at least partially joking from the way he said it remark from stage, but he for sure said "was".

It's past tense.

He also refers to GNR as "they" instead of "we". edit: Fortus does this as well.

Like David Crockett used to say.....

"It's over Schiavone"

Is he performing GNR songs like Ron does on tour? tongue I wouldn't mind seeing Tommy if he'd come to my area. I'd really love to meet him and talk to him for a few minutes.  Not about this but about bucket

Didn't really like or care about Tommy much until those leaks. Has a great tone on some of those songs. He also shed a lot of light on the making of CD in some of those interviews.

we'll miss ya.   tommy

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Is he performing GNR songs like Ron does on tour? tongue I wouldn't mind seeing Tommy if he'd come to my area. I'd really love to meet him and talk to him for a few minutes.  Not about this but about bucket

Didn't really like or care about Tommy much until those leaks. Has a great tone on some of those songs. He also shed a lot of light on the making of CD in some of those interviews.

we'll miss ya.   tommy

I'm pretty sure you're joking, but there wasn't even a sniff of GNR except for that quick mention.  I don't think he even referenced Frank as being "from GNR" when he introduced him. 

I'm not very familiar with his stuff so I don't know for sure what it all was.  I think it was all his solo stuff and I was told the last two songs were from his band Bash & Pop that he put together after the Replacements.  It was a really good rock show though.

I was pretty disappointed in myself for not sticking around to try to chat with him for a bit, but the set didn't end until after midnight and I had to get up for work at 5.  I beat feet as soon as I was sure they were done playing.  Funnily enough at one point earlier in the night I was standing right beside Frank and didn't put together who he was, but thought he looked familiar.  I just assumed he was one of the people I see at a lot of local shows.

You mentioned his tone, that wouldn't really come into account because he was playing guitar not bass.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
misterID wrote:

I believe they both have plans that doesn't include reunion.

I agree with you...I just question how "concrete" the plans are from one of the 2 camps 16

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

A band which is currently doing squat.

Also irrelevant to the news.

apex-twin wrote:

If you want to gloat over it, fine. That's your prerogative. Just saying, you should go the whole nine yards and say everyone (excusing perhaps Ax & Pitman) is out of the band.

No gloating (odd word choice though), just don't understand why you are splitting hairs as a means to deny/pivot/speculate what this man said. It's plain English, right out of his mouth.

GnR forum peeps do this all the time. Somebody can say the sky is blue, and the next reply will insist on examining what wasn't said about the sky color, what may become of the sky color, and what was really meant by the word "blue." It's what happens when we have a band with such poor communication, however in this case, it's rather cut n' dry.

Board footer