You are not logged in. Please register or login.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

Re: As the reunion rumors are on a treadmill...

apex-twin wrote:

The tension easing between Slash and Axl has resulted in AFDem, really.  Slash said in May that they haven't spoken in a long time, even if the tensions have eased recently. If they ever do talk, it may take a long while until either is comfortable to talk about a reunion. If it happens, the business haggle and bidding wars begin. Plans would be drawn out. A year of preproduction. Band rehearsals. My guess? 2-3 years from the point at which those two would agree to do it.

Me, I think it's a bit premature to think about.

Meanwhile, with the current Guns are under the radar more than ever. Any work that might be done would happen in Axl's home studio. Fortus said Axl was doing vocals late last year. For all we know, Axl lacks a live unit. DJ and Ron are gone, and Tommy's phone is on 'airplane mode', he apparently told here.

Hardly anyone would take any CD2 lineup over a reunion. Still, methinks reunion is still a long time coming. What kind of a CD2 would be, at least, interesting?

If Axl would reintroduce Duff on bass and Robin to play rhythm and lead with Fortus, would that suffice? As far as CD legacy lineups go, these two reach out to 1997, while they jamming with Sorum and Paul Huge. In that light, Fortus, the working man guitar hero, would be the most recent member.

Personally, I see this as a plausible live configuration, should Axl want to release and tour behind CD2. Duff's in good terms with him, and would be open to the suggestion. Robin's killing time. He might be want to play the tunes he wrote in front of crowds, with his buddy, Fortus.

I'm just curious. Would Robin and Duff validate a CD2 chapter in Guns in your eyes?

Meantime, if Guns would release CD2 and tour with Robin and Duff...

Sure. I'd be curious. 50%
Impress me. On the fence on Robin &/ CD2. 7%
Nah. Wake me up when the reunion happens. 43%
Total votes: 28

johndivney wrote:

I'm always curious to hear what axl has to say but I'm on the fence/unconvinced by robin.
Never got the fuss for that guy. Yea he has his moments but nothing that was ever indispensable. & the couple of times I saw him live he wasn't great. he was Better in '06, mind - '01 he just stood out like a sore thumb, which was an impressive enough feat given that lineup, his contributions, particularly the old stuff (which was most of the set back then - & still is!) were jarring & very disappointing, bordering on distasteful.

I'd imagine axl would still want to bring in more of a shredder, or at least someone quicker to tackle the bucket parts. Richard is rightly praised, but the idea he could fill that role always perplexes me. He's the rhythm guy. Fincks problem is he wasn't the rhythm guy & certainly isn't cut out for lead duties. Dunno.

I guess I'd rather have a reunion.

& seriously, how does he not get more shit for bailing when he did?
& his aloofness I found really irritating. It was always like gnr & the fans were beneath him.

The real thing is, & always has been, he wasn't a fit replacement for Slash in 97/98, & he's still not. + he already had his shot & walked away - why'd people accept him back I don't get it..

Sky Dog wrote:

Just drop the rest of Chinese and be done with that era.

AtariLegend wrote:

On the fence because of Duff actually. I'd rather hear any material/music that was recorded a decade ago or in the late 90's without any other musicians being added and hope Bumblefoot/Ashba aren't included.

If Duff joins that's fine, but let him/Axl record new material with each other. No interest in seeing a reunion tour that'll self destruct after a few shows, where no new music is going to be recorded.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

New music, always. I couldn't care less about a reunion without that. Murky sound in huge stadiums have never impressed me.

Always interested to see old members join though. Duff would be a smooth fit whatever they decide to play, and Finck along with Bucket is the main guitarist on CD. I like his sound, but I also like his persona. He feels real, does his own thing. Exactly what GNR was always about.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Reunion is a long ways off... I want CD II and that seems where Axls' head is at right now. He was def in the studio when he sent the picture on Twitter, whenever that was, and not a home studio. I'd love to see Robin and Duff back, like the easy it was supposed to be in the late 90s.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

CD 2? Please. I could care less.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Just drop the rest of Chinese and be done with that era.

What sky dog said. The CD era should have been wrapped up with CD. It's absurd to be headed into 2016 with an album essentially finished in 2001-02.  Most of his hardcore fans would prefer that version of the album without the dog whistles, Ron wanking over Bucket, and Fortus strumming added.

I'm not really interested in any hybrid touring lineups. I'm only interested in albums, leaks, singles or songs on soundtracks.  Buying a ticket to hear the 10th version of new GNR bust out Jungle is absurd to me.  Now if this show was to preview new material for an upcoming tour, yeah I'm there. I'm not being fooled anymore though. I'm waiting on the reunion for an overdose of nostalgia. If he's willing to release new material whether he tours or not, I'll fully support that and never even pine for a reunion. He's not interested in that(at least not in the CD era) which is why the reunion crap has never went away regardless of his past comments(cancer, not in this lifetime,etc.) because fans who pay attention to his comments over the past 20 years know he contradicts himself and could do a 180 in three shakes of a lamb's tail and show up onstage with Slash, Izzy, Duff,etc. and no one is going to complain or even hold past comments against him.

As a fan I hold Axl to the same standards that I do other artists and bands I'm a fan of.

Having said all that, I understand fans like Cramer's current stance on this CD era.  Axl jumped the shark and many have lost interest in it completely. Someone like Cramer flew across the country in 01 to check it out but like me, probably wouldn't go down the block to see it now. As crazy as that late 90s-08 wait was, it made some sense and any lurkers here should read CD Whispers to see how it all played out. The 2008-15 and beyond wait does not make sense. While it was bordering on a nostalgia act on previous CD tours, once we got into 09-10 you couldn't even pretend that it wasn't. CD was being phased out of the set list and rightfully so. If he tours again with a new lineup I don't expect any of CD to be included.

In my pipe dreaming fantasy land scenario he would call Finck, Brain, Tommy, maybe Tobias, and get on his knees and beg Bucket to come back so they could release CD II and do a proper tour behind it like they should have done in 2001-03. Its not happening though so I just hope to get that second album and that's what my interest is in.....not a reunion.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Having said all that, I understand fans like Cramer's current stance on this CD era.  Axl jumped the shark and many have lost interest in it completely. Someone like Cramer flew across the country in 01 to check it out but like me, probably wouldn't go down the block to see it now. .

Absolutely correct.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Yeah, at this point the only two things I'm interested in are:

1) Get Finck and Bucket back and commit to Chinese Democracy II. And no, I don't want anyone else. I suffered through DJ violating my favourite Finck solos with his showboating, and I really don't want to see the guy who replaced Bumblefoot who replaced Buckethead mechanically working through someone else's decade-old solos.

2) Get Slash and Duff back on board and record a new album/tour with them. By all means use tracks recorded during the Chinese Democracy sessions as Axl's contribution to the songwriting, but they'd need to be re-recorded from the ground up with Slash and Duff.

Board footer