You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: As the reunion rumors are on a treadmill...

James wrote:

Duff filling in on new GNR'S CD tour isn't the same thing as a reunion.

Like comparing a 60 watt light bulb to a quasar.

elevendayempire wrote:

it'd be This I Love – it's popular with the fans, it's a piano-led ballad with a big solo spot, and Slash could play whatever he damn well pleased over it. And it dates back to the UYI era.

Why should Slash play a UYI era song that Axl couldn't finish until 2008? Not Slash's fault Axl wouldn't just shut up and sing.....   tongue

Meantime, if Guns would release CD2 and tour with Robin and Duff...

Sure. I'd be curious. 50%
Impress me. On the fence on Robin &/ CD2. 7%
Nah. Wake me up when the reunion happens. 43%
Total votes: 28

AtariLegend wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Why should Slash play a UYI era song that Axl couldn't finish until 2008? Not Slash's fault Axl wouldn't just shut up and sing.....   tongue

"This I Love' is actually an old GN'R song that the original GN'R wrote and recorded for the 'Illusion' records. I like that song a lot.. it took a couple of weeks to find all the tapes, because they finished recording 'Use Your Illusions' on the road and one tape was in Paris, another in London, and another in Sydney, I believe." (Dave Dominguez, Sp1at, 04/21/05)

The only Guns show mentioned above, which predates the release of Illusions (09/16-17/91), is their first one in London (08/31/91). Elsewhere, Axl suggests TIL is a post-Illusion song, and it's possible that Dominguez means the Spaghetti Incident? sessions in '92-93, during which additional covers were recorded to round it up to album-length. GNR played in London the second time on 04/20/92, Paris on 06/06/92, and Sydney on 01/30/93. The TIL sessions could've taken place near each of the shows.

Curiously, onstage in both Antebonné and Paris in September 2010, Axl would refer to This I Love as "the only GNR song written in France".

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.p … 909#p53909

This suggests a version of it did exist at some point that wasn't just Axl playing the piano.

AtariLegend wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

but its not going to be a Live 8 Pink Floyd

I'm a Floyd fan. All be it from a different generation. Watched that recently and I'd be disappointed to imagine in another decade that line-up of Guns reuniting just to play Sweet Child O'Mine, Knockin on Heaven's Door, Paradise City and Welcome to the Jungle in a 20 minute set.

That's exactly what the Floyd scenario would be for Guns, just 4 tracks that would be recognizable by crowds. They wouldn't play any of the hardcore favorites and they wouldn't play November Rain because of it's length. It's would be dreary un-passionate nostalgia.

Vale
 Rep: 4 

Vale wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

"This I Love' is actually an old GN'R song that the original GN'R wrote and recorded for the 'Illusion' records. I like that song a lot.. it took a couple of weeks to find all the tapes, because they finished recording 'Use Your Illusions' on the road and one tape was in Paris, another in London, and another in Sydney, I believe." (Dave Dominguez, Sp1at, 04/21/05)

The only Guns show mentioned above, which predates the release of Illusions (09/16-17/91), is their first one in London (08/31/91). Elsewhere, Axl suggests TIL is a post-Illusion song, and it's possible that Dominguez means the Spaghetti Incident? sessions in '92-93, during which additional covers were recorded to round it up to album-length. GNR played in London the second time on 04/20/92, Paris on 06/06/92, and Sydney on 01/30/93. The TIL sessions could've taken place near each of the shows.

Curiously, onstage in both Antebonné and Paris in September 2010, Axl would refer to This I Love as "the only GNR song written in France".

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.p … 909#p53909

This suggests a version of it did exist at some point that wasn't just Axl playing the piano.

That would be interesting. I know that Axl also played parts of it during his piano solos on the Illusions tour so who knows how far developed the song was at that stage.

James

James wrote:

TIL wasn't finished. Musically speaking it had been recorded by several lineups and god only knows when he put down vocals for it although I assume the version meant for the 98 soundtrack had vocals, likely spliced from the UYI era track.

Atari, when I compared it to Floyd I wasn't talking about their set list at Live 8. I was talking about how the reunion itself set the world on fire. Even ostriches with their heads buried in the sand looked up during Live 8 and said, "Wow, they really reunited?" I don't expect a reunited GNR to do a 4 song set list. Even if they reunited for something similar to Live 8 or a Farm Aid situation, they are going to get a bigger set than that.

Thanks for posting those quotes. Some of those Sp1at interviews are underrated and I'm glad they are here for posterity.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

James Lofton wrote:

Duff filling in on new GNR'S CD tour isn't the same thing as a reunion.

Like comparing a 60 watt light bulb to a quasar.

I only mention it 'cause before Duff did the tour, people on the boards were all, "Of course, the idea that Duff would play any Chinese Democracy tracks if he came back for a full set is laughable."

People think that the band members' egos would preclude their playing any of the CD-era material. And yes, it usually plays out that way – the Smashing Pumpkins didn't play any Adore-era stuff with Jimmy Chamberlin, the Red Hot Chili Peppers didn't play One Hot Minute tracks with John Frusciante, and so forth. But when it comes down to it, they might not give a toss.

You don't know how it's going to play out until it happens.

James

James wrote:

IMO egos have nothing to do with it. Out of the 87-2008 discography, how many of those albums currently rot in dollar stores nationwide? That's not an exaggeration, it's a fact. Only CD suffers that fate. Hell even Axl cut way back on CD songs on a CD tour! Its pointless to promote that thing and when a reunion happens there is an actual back catalog ready to go full speed ahead in the sales department. AFD and UYI and/or a new GH will get a massive push in any reunion scenario.

Us forum nerds aren't going to be catered to. They know they already have us.  It serves no purpose to play CD songs that will be a MASSIVE buzz kill.  A reunited GNR has such a strong discog that every song on their set list can get a massive pop from the crowd. The crowd silence during Scraped would cause a stadium to be able to detect a mouse fart. It wont be played.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

but its not going to be a Live 8 Pink Floyd

I'm a Floyd fan. All be it from a different generation. Watched that recently and I'd be disappointed to imagine in another decade that line-up of Guns reuniting just to play Sweet Child O'Mine, Knockin on Heaven's Door, Paradise City and Welcome to the Jungle in a 20 minute set.

That's exactly what the Floyd scenario would be for Guns, just 4 tracks that would be recognizable by crowds. They wouldn't play any of the hardcore favorites and they wouldn't play November Rain because of it's length. It's would be dreary un-passionate nostalgia.

Pink Floyd was incredible at Live 8. David Gilmour still kicks ass. GN'R would not be able to put on that kind of show with the current state of Axl's voice. Either he needs to pull a miracle like he did in 2010 (raspy, powerful) or just don't do it at all.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Duff would have no problems rejoining GNR, not a reunion, but joining the new era band and playing CD songs. I would guess that if Slash got the call, he would too. If theory left DJ play Bucket parts I reckon there would be no problems with Slash doing it.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Set list of last GNR show:
(The Handsome Family song)
Chinese Democracy
Welcome to the Jungle
It's So Easy
Mr. Brownstone
Estranged
There Was a Time
Better
Rocket Queen
Richard Fortus Guitar Solo
Live and Let Die
(Wings cover)
This I Love
Used to Love Her
Holidays in the Sun
(Sex Pistols cover) (Tommy Stinson on lead vocals, with band introductions)
Dizzy Reed Piano Solo
Catcher in the Rye
You Could Be Mine
DJ Ashba Guitar Solo
(La Bella Vita)
Sweet Child O' Mine
Jam
("Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" by Led Zeppelin)
Layla
(Derek and the Dominos cover) (Instrumental, with Axl on piano)
November Rain
Abnormal
(Bumblefoot cover)
Don't Cry
Marseilles
(The Angels cover)
Prostitute
Riff Raff
(AC/DC cover)
Yesterdays
Civil War
Knockin' on Heaven's Door
(Bob Dylan cover)
Jam
Nightrain
Encore:
You Can't Always Get What You Want
(The Rolling Stones cover) (Snippet, with Tommy Stinson on lead vocals)
Patience
The Seeker
(The Who cover)
Jam
Paradise City
Baby Blue
(Badfinger song)

That's not exactly holding back CD songs. That's probably the best setlist of the new era, and one I could see Slash on. We'll see about The General, Atlas, Soul Monster, etc.

Board footer