You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: As the reunion rumors are on a treadmill...

PaSnow wrote:
TheSundanceKid wrote:

I don't mean to be an asshole here, but who gives a shit about Steven Adler? Honestly? How many song-writing credits does he have? Is he a cornerstone of the band?

Well he lacks any substantial credits, and clearly was replaceable with Matt Sorum. To conclude, the guy doesn't matter.

If a reunion were to happen, he would be a huge liability.

The guy is stuck in the past.

When I think of key Guns members from the past I think of: Axl (1 in songwriting credits), Izzy (number 2 in credits), Slash, and then Duff.

I never am like, who Steven Adler, that guy rocks Guns' needs him.

The drumming position is very replaceable.

I am personally hoping, the Rose just gets back with Finck and Buckethead. Dream a little dream here.

I dunno, I'm 43 so a bit old school, but I definitely prefer Adler to Sorum, just in sound, rawness & their rock n roll style.  Don't get me wrong, I don't know if a reunion tour could/should include Adler, and he definitely can't play the UYI parts, but I would much rather see Adler be around for the AFD stuff than only Sorum, although i'd accept either. Still, I don't think you can make the blanket statement "Who gives a sh!t about the drummer", alot of us liked Adler for what he was, what he represented, and the massive album of our life he contributed to.

I think Kiss ran into this dilemna in the 90s reunion tour & brought both drummers IIRC.

Meantime, if Guns would release CD2 and tour with Robin and Duff...

Sure. I'd be curious. 50%
Impress me. On the fence on Robin &/ CD2. 7%
Nah. Wake me up when the reunion happens. 43%
Total votes: 28
misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Most interesting thing about that interview is when Trunk reports from his source that the other band members do intend to include Adler. If that's the case, Adler needs to shut his fucking mouth. Might already be too late with his recent blowup.

Sundance, Adler didn't write the songs but he absolutely played a key part in the GN'R sound. As great as the songwriting itself is, they benefited from Adler's drumming on the album and in all those legendary club shows from the early days. Matt Sorum was never able to recreate the same kind of energy on the Appetite songs.

I seriously doubt he has any sources with GNR, other than Slash. And I'm sure Slash said at one time when he didn't think a reunion was possible, and just being a nice guy, that he said Adler would be a part. But now that it's realistic, and you start thinking about the business end and responsibilities, Adler will be a huge liability.

And no one cares about Matt Sorum. Frank will probably be the guy.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

ID brings up a good point. Nobody really cares about Steven, or Matt. And since Axl doesn't like either of them, they won't be part of it.

A reunion will likely be the UYI originals (post Izzy) with whoever is around filling the rest. Don't know how Duff would feel about that, but Slash won't care and Duff won't go against him and Axl.

Sky Dog wrote:

we have no fucking idea what is going to happen...none. 16

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
misterID wrote:

Frank will probably be the guy.

I highly doubt Frank or anyone else would be on drums. A reunion, with a nu-GnR member, is just getting off to a bad start. And would only be a sign that Axl is being difficult already to put up with. It would just be a slippery slope, if he can't let Matt tour, what next, he'd wanna play some CD stuff but no VR? Be constantly late, cancelled shows??

Refusal to allow a drummer join is just symbolism for larger things to come. Plus Slash & Duff have years with Matt in VR, whatever they're thoughts about him when it ended, time has passed. And after Duff saw Adlers latest, he probably thinks back that Sorums an alright guy to have.

IF no Izzy, it should be Gilby for a "reunion".

AtariLegend wrote:

The majority of people are going to care less about who the drummer is. Doesn't matter if people knew who the drummer was in 1988, fact is no one would be bothered now.

I doubt the casuals would care less about Izzy too, even if we do. Duff to an extent as well, most of the interest would just be on Axl/Slash.

As for Sorum, I don't think it matters. However it's got to be more likely than Adler surely? Adler's obviously not mentally sound and it doesn't look the rest of the guys are as found of him as the fans seem to think they are.

I think the idea that these guys all had bonds with each other is a fantasy of fans. Maybe there was between Axl/Izzy and Axl/Duff or Slash/Duff were friends, but that was probably the extent.

Anyone still doubt Axl's version of Slash showing up at his house?

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Duff being spineless and Matt Sorum an asshole? 14

I don't think Slash ever had a bond with anyone in the band. Steven thought they did, but that changed after he got shifted out. Axl also thought they had something. Such a disappointment to Axl he held a grudge for 20 years. When he's talking about him in those days it's the words of a scorned lover. Duff was just a drinking buddy. A cool guy that gets along with everybody.

That and the carefree attitude displayed in Slash' book makes me think he is exactly the guy to show up at Axl's house and diss his VR band mates. Must have been a hell of hangover.

Sky Dog wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
misterID wrote:

Frank will probably be the guy.

I highly doubt Frank or anyone else would be on drums. A reunion, with a nu-GnR member, is just getting off to a bad start. And would only be a sign that Axl is being difficult already to put up with. It would just be a slippery slope, if he can't let Matt tour, what next, he'd wanna play some CD stuff but no VR? Be constantly late, cancelled shows??

Refusal to allow a drummer join is just symbolism for larger things to come. Plus Slash & Duff have years with Matt in VR, whatever they're thoughts about him when it ended, time has passed. And after Duff saw Adlers latest, he probably thinks back that Sorums an alright guy to have.

IF no Izzy, it should be Gilby for a "reunion".

No Izzy, no reunion imo.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Atari I will always doubt that story. Slash confessing all his sins to beta just sounds like something out of their fantasies. I do believe he went there though. Halfin and Weiland both claim we were a cunt hair away from a reunion back then. I believe it now. It all fell apart for God knows what reason and that meeting may have been the fallout.  Only way we'll ever get the real story on that is after a reunion actually takes place and if/when it does, I hope that late 05/early 06 period is one of the first things brought up.

Once all is well in the GNR world and there are no longer these divisions, I think fans are going to be shocked at things that went on under the radar in the CD era. Something else I want the full story on is Axl s desire to have Slash play on CD in 2001. That story has been ignored for too long. That sounds like an olive branch to me.

Edit: I'm with skydog & will on the no Izzy no reunion thing.  Yeah they can do it without him but what's the point. It died when he left.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Edit: I'm with skydog & will on the no Izzy no reunion thing.  Yeah they can do it without him but what's the point. It died when he left.

I guess I was coming at it from 'If Izzy just refuses to tour more for personal reasons' (ie drugs).  I thought that's why he left, but I would think at this point, 25 years later, with most of the other guys sober, he could better manage. Although another factor may be he just refuses due to the difficulties of working with Axl (lateness, cancellations, nitpicky etc).

Funny, I always meant to post this, but this is a newsletter from the college I went to.  Didn't know the girl (much younger), but she worked at an AC Hotel. Anyway it's mostly on the 3rd column to the right you'll wanna read, but the full thing puts it into context. http://issuu.com/kutztownuniversity/doc … singles/11

Board footer