You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: As the reunion rumors are on a treadmill...

polluxlm wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Halfin and Weiland both claim we were a cunt hair away from a reunion back then.

Makes no sense. Axl was still trying to get Bucket back, plans for a tour and finishing the album. By all accounts he was ready to get going again. In 04 or 05 I could believe it maybe, but not 06.

What appears to have started the whole thing was Axl saying in an early 06 interview that he still had love for Slash. At this point Slash was struggling with VR and particularly Weiland. Then he shows up at Axl's house, even Slash admits that, and said whatever was said. According to the Axl camp this leads to nothing, until Slash takes some form of legal action (?) which gets Axl pissed and releases the statement.

The relationship seems to have reached a boiling point around here and was sustained for a few years, culminating in the cancer comment.

I find it plausible that Slash would want to get back with Axl when he is already in a band with a wacky singer and not too happy about it, but I don't see Axl wanting him back at a point when plans were all lined up for CD and he obviously still had strong feelings on the issue.

The comments about Duff, Matt and Scott could just be trying to tell Axl what he wants to hear. He's not really admitting to any big faults if the quotes from the Axl camp were the full extent of it. "the war between us" "I'm not getting along with this new band". Not exactly pouring himself out.

Meantime, if Guns would release CD2 and tour with Robin and Duff...

Sure. I'd be curious. 50%
Impress me. On the fence on Robin &/ CD2. 7%
Nah. Wake me up when the reunion happens. 43%
Total votes: 28
James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Plans lined up for CD? It was in limbo at that point. Just because leaks breathed new life into the saga for fans doesn't mean we were getting close. Add that potential 2 CD GH into the mix in that same time frame, the fact new gnr hadn't even been in a room together in four years, I don't see why it's so farfetched.

"According to the Axl camp"  that's why I want more details on this subject. They wouldn't have admitted to anything at that point and I don't blame them. Slash wasn't gonna say anything bad publicly either.

Edit: trying to get bucket, tour,wtc.  occurred after all that happened.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Plans lined up for CD? It was in limbo at that point. Just because leaks breathed new life into the saga for fans doesn't mean we were getting close.

Maybe that's just it, maybe Slash got wind that Axl was pissed at the leaks, and upset that the GnR lineup at that point was in limbo.  Slash might have heard this from a reliable mutual source, or someone  in the industry, and thought 'Why not meet up with him and see about burying the hatchet'.  Only, Axl preferred to continue on with his GnR, instead of giving up.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

James Lofton wrote:

Plans lined up for CD? It was in limbo at that point. Just because leaks breathed new life into the saga for fans doesn't mean we were getting close. Add that potential 2 CD GH into the mix in that same time frame, the fact new gnr hadn't even been in a room together in four years, I don't see why it's so farfetched.

"According to the Axl camp"  that's why I want more details on this subject. They wouldn't have admitted to anything at that point and I don't blame them. Slash wasn't gonna say anything bad publicly either.

Edit: trying to get bucket, tour,wtc.  occurred after all that happened.

Wheels were definitely in motion in very early 06. Remember the Korn party appearance after 4 years being MIA? Axl doesn't do public appeaeances without good reason and sure enough we had an accompanying interview where he discusses CD and gave us the 36 songs comment. As we know CD in 06 never happened but I think the intention was there, certainly in the first half of the year, to get it out.

James

James wrote:

That might be true, sounds plausible, but I think it was even closer than that. I'm on my way home. When I get there I'll pull up the halfin quotes.

James

James wrote:

APE: I'm referring to late 05/early 06. Once that tour was in the planning stages there was zero chance of anything on the reunion front.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I toy with the idea that tensions were never that bad in orig era gnr, but it was the "Beggars and hangers on" that created a false tension...beta and crew stopping anything from happening just in cases it upset Axl. ..I could be wayyy off base but who knows...touring for 4 or 5 straight years would make anyone fed up with the other, doesn't mean they hated each other permanently. ..

Axl wasn't the only one with a posse...it may have been a 20 year elaborate game of he said / she said

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
misterID wrote:

Frank will probably be the guy.

I highly doubt Frank or anyone else would be on drums. A reunion, with a nu-GnR member, is just getting off to a bad start. And would only be a sign that Axl is being difficult already to put up with. It would just be a slippery slope, if he can't let Matt tour, what next, he'd wanna play some CD stuff but no VR? Be constantly late, cancelled shows??

Refusal to allow a drummer join is just symbolism for larger things to come. Plus Slash & Duff have years with Matt in VR, whatever they're thoughts about him when it ended, time has passed. And after Duff saw Adlers latest, he probably thinks back that Sorums an alright guy to have.

IF no Izzy, it should be Gilby for a "reunion".

Let me say this, and even Axl said this, people will see a gnr reunion as Duff, Axl and Slash. No one else really matters, that includes Izzy, to the general public. I would go a step further and say Axl and Slash on stage is the only thing that matters.

After all these years, all the animosity and impossibilities, I really doubt anyone will give two shits who is playing drums or rythym guitar. I know one thing, it won't be Matt or Gilby. And no one, save the smallest of margins, will care.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

James Lofton wrote:

APE: I'm referring to late 05/early 06. Once that tour was in the planning stages there was zero chance of anything on the reunion front.

Exactly, maybe we're agreeing lol? The Korn appearance was Jan 06 I think? So an 06 tour plan almost certainly preceeds that appearance. Therefore my guess is that in late 05/early 06 Axls thinking CD, not reunions.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Atari I will always doubt that story. Slash confessing all his sins to beta just sounds like something out of their fantasies.

Reminds one of that Activision/Guitar Hero 3 lawsuit from 2010, eh?

On February 14, 2010, Guns N' Roses played a Valentine's Day show at the Rose Bar at Gramercy Park in New York City. Tim Riley from Activision was in attendance and approached Rose after the show. In tears he apologized for the way in which Rose and Guns N' Roses had been mistreated by Activision. He said "I can't sleep at night" and asked Rose to forgive him.

clients-tim-riley.jpg
Imagine this guy (Tim Riley, formerly from Activision) meeting Axl and breaking into tears. Plausible, if Riley knew what to expect and realized it was the quickest way to defuse the situation. If it actually happened, Riley seemed to put up the most audacious show, which Axl's lawyers faithfully reproduced in text. This was - likely - to show Riley admitted culpability and that Axl deserved that special treatment. The alternative is that they fell for Riley's (supposed) act. There's also the off-chance that Tim Riley is a really sensitive guy.

As for that visit, let's take a closer look.

In October of 2005 Slash made an unannounced 5:30 AM visit to Axl Rose's house. Not appearing to be under the influence, Slash came to inform Axl that: "Duff was spineless," "Scott was a fraud," that he "hates Matt Sorum" and that in this ongoing war, contest or whatever anyone wants to call it that Slash has waged against Axl for the better part of 20 years, that Axl has proven himself "the stronger." Based on his conduct in showing up at Rose's home, Axl was hopeful that Slash would live up to his pronouncements that he wanted to end the war and move on with life.

First off, everything Slash allegedly says is conveniently taken out of context. Let's try putting things into perspective. Libertad was at its early stages. Scott was pushing the concept album idea. Slash, likely, just wanted them to get into a room, bang out some rock, press rec, release the album and hit the road. That's Slash's approach to music, it's really a no-frills approach in terms of song-writing and producing. Like Lemmy, he just wants to get the job done, as that is the job. He would've resented Scott's idea and scorned it as 'phony'.

Whatever had driven Slash into that situation was Perla.

Through a series of hairpin turns and steep grades, Latigo Canyon Road winds a couple of thousand feet up to the top of an arid hill near the Point Dume section of Malibu... A lighted star on the side of Axl's house can be seen for miles by drivers on the Pacific Coast Highway.  - RS, 2000

They say it takes a good while to actually make those turns. Slash knew the road, Axl'd lived there since 1992. The house Illusions built. He drinks, likely, to calm down. Then, the big gate, security camera and a door phone. This is as far as Izzy got in November '99.

Slash was visible to Beta the minute he stepped out of the car.
He was let in through the gates, all the way to the front door.
Both Beta and Slash seem to agree on the story thus far.

5.30AM. Axl time. Perla would've possibly worked on Slash for weeks on the matter and finally got him sauced enough to pull through. He had a note on him ('Let's work this out. Call me. - Slash.'). Beta was on the door. How she reacted to Slash remains a mystery. A bit chilly? A bit smug? Here was the man they'd spent so many moons grieving over at La Casa Rosa.

(How's VR working out for you, Slash?)

I tell you, Scott's a fraud with all that concept album stuff. We're a rock band, simply put. Matt's into the idea, I think, I hate Matt being so excited about it, that desire to be 'fashionable' or whatever. Sure, Duff... Tell you the truth, Duff's spineless, you know? I talked to him about that concept album thing and he agreed with me! But then, he had words with Scott and he was like, let's see where it goes.

(And you had something to say to Axl?)

Yeah, about this ongoing war, contest or whatever anyone wants to call it that's been going on between me and him for the past 20 years... Axl's the stronger one in keeping that thing alive, you know? Me, I'm sick of having to deal with this Guns stuff in the midst of my other stuff. I just want to end this war and move on with my life.

(I'll be sure to deliver that in verbatim.)

Could've went down like so.

Board footer