You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: As the reunion rumors are on a treadmill...

James wrote:
Neemo wrote:

I toy with the idea that tensions were never that bad in orig era gnr, but it was the "Beggars and hangers on" that created a false tension...beta and crew stopping anything from happening just in cases it upset Axl. ..I could be wayyy off base but who knows...touring for 4 or 5 straight years would make anyone fed up with the other, doesn't mean they hated each other permanently. ..

Axl wasn't the only one with a posse...it may have been a 20 year elaborate game of he said / she said

Yep. I read all of CD Whispers a little over a week ago as a refresher course and was blown away by its origins. The 2000-01 period was always my main focal point but was speechless reading the 95-97 chapters. The origins of the Chinese Democracy saga is Slash running for the hills with those Snakepit demos and unfortunately there was no turning back at that point. Its crazy to think that those songs which Axl claims to not like altered the destiny of the band, and had Slash never took them Chinese Democracy never happens. Instead of the 13 year wait for one album, you get 4 or 5 albums instead. 16

Therefore my guess is that in late 05/early 06 Axls thinking CD, not reunions.

Regarding the possibility of a 05-06 reunion....

Halfin:

"[Slash and I] discuss the two versions of Guns N' Roses Greatest Hits Vol II. One is done by Axel's management. Slash says the track listing is good but the politics from Axel's management leave a lot to be desired. The other is done by Universal. Slash tells me he hasn't approved either, so who knows what'll come out." (Ross Halfin, 11/19/05)

then:

"I have to write some copy this weekend on Guns 'N Roses for a feature to go with my photos. [...] If you tell the truth it sets off too many wars, or egos way out of control. The original line-up is supposed to play Download in June with their metal chums, Metallica, if Lars can be bothered to turn up." (Ross Halfin, 02/04/06)

Two years later, Weiland said this in an interview:

"[The GNR reunion] almost happened. The pens were ready to sign. With the 'Greatest Hits', there was a possibility [of a reunion], but there was too much stuff being said. But it was a close call." (Scott Weiland, Classic Rock, 04/08)

Slash and I were always straight with each other, and if it looked like there was going to be a reunion with Guns N' Roses to do festivals that summer, it wouldn't have bothered me. I always thought that would have been a good idea.'

-----------------

Two people unrelated mention a reunion possibly happening in that same time frame. Not a coincidence. Halfin didn't pull that out of his ass. He had been talking to Slash. Weiland wasn't pulling it out either. Knew ex GNR members obviously and he had no reason to make up the story. Didn't benefit him at all at that point.  All signs point to something going on behind the scenes and just because various 'new' GNR members like Tommy and Fortus mentioned recording some interludes for CD in 05 means nothing. 2005 was a DEAD year. They weren't in the loop. Whatever was going on happened right before/during the talks over GH2 and imploded in early 06. Maybe the Slash meeting with Beta was Slash's last attempt at getting it back on track? Like I said, I think we're going to hear some interesting things if a reunion ever happens. At that point there will be no need of burying this info.

People will discount this because of Axl's "cancer" comments? 18 That may have been venting frustration and when you consider the fact Axl said "the less heard about him the better" yet Axl and his inner circle are the main ones mentioning him and spend more time mentioning Slash than CD, I don't take the comment seriously.

Meantime, if Guns would release CD2 and tour with Robin and Duff...

Sure. I'd be curious. 50%
Impress me. On the fence on Robin &/ CD2. 7%
Nah. Wake me up when the reunion happens. 43%
Total votes: 28
James

James wrote:

Thanks for posting that. I was about to dig it up. Its such an odd thing to happen. I don't think anyone denies that it happened anymore, its just what REALLY happened that people have issues with. The million dollar question is why couldn't Axl go out there and talk to him? Axl spent years trashing the guy, he shows up at your house so you send Beta out there? Another reason I think something went down before that and at the time wanted nothing to do with him. In 2001 he wants Slash on CD, the hangers on refuse to allow him in to the club show,  2002 the pathetic rants, talks over GH2 then the Beta-Slash fiasco.....these two have had contact in previous years.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I read all of CD Whispers a little over a week ago as a refresher course and was blown away by its origins. The 2000-01 period was always my main focal point but was speechless reading the 95-97 chapters. The origins of the Chinese Democracy saga is Slash running for the hills with those Snakepit demos and unfortunately there was no turning back at that point. Its crazy to think that those songs which Axl claims to not like altered the destiny of the band, and had Slash never took them Chinese Democracy never happens. Instead of the 13 year wait for one album, you get 4 or 5 albums instead. 16

"The coolest omen," says Slash, "was the night I recorded three songs and mixed them that night, which I normally wouldn't do. I went to bed with the DAT in my hand, all 14 songs... And it was like Godzilla came to town... The time was 4:31 a.m., Jan. 17, 1994. The Godzilla in question was L.A.'s 6.7 earthquake." (Slash, Rolling Stone, 04/95)

The earth shook after that fateful tape was finished. 18

Vale
 Rep: 4 

Vale wrote:

"I have to write some copy this weekend on Guns 'N Roses for a feature to go with my photos. [...] If you tell the truth it sets off too many wars, or egos way out of control. The original line-up is supposed to play Download in June with their metal chums, Metallica, if Lars can be bothered to turn up." (Ross Halfin, 02/04/06)

New GN'R played Download that year. And by February that plan must have already been in motion along with everything else. 2006, after the leaks, was the year Axl tried to do what he failed in 2002 - release CD and make a successful comeback. I doubt that he would have been willing to forget about CD at that point and to go through with a reunion. Who knows where Halfin got that information from. Somethings might have been mixed up, or mis-interpreted by him.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

No clue how accurate this is but this could have scuttled the reunion in 2005/2006:

However, according to Classic Rock magazine, via a GNR insider, recent attempts were indeed made by Axl Rose to reform the original band for shows at the Hammersmith Apollo in London, and then again for the Download Festival at Donnington Park.  The magazine also reported that both were allegedly to be filmed and released on DVD with an accompanying live album to mark the 20th anniversary of the band forming.  As the story goes, all parties were interested until the fine print of the contracts were examined.  Apparently, despite the shows and the potential earning power of the subsequent CD/DVD sales, in agreeing to the terms and conditions, each member then agrees that all rights to the entire Guns N' Roses back catalogue would henceforth transfer to Axl.

http://www.stereoboard.com/content/view/303/9/

I heard about this years ago but I forget who the actual source was, could have been Halfin but I'm not sure and doubt it.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Vale wrote:

2006, after the leaks, was the year Axl tried to do what he failed in 2002 - release CD and make a successful comeback. I doubt that he would have been willing to forget about CD at that point and to go through with a reunion. Who knows where Halfin got that information from. Somethings might have been mixed up, or mis-interpreted by him.

To be fair, the Halfin quote was from February 4 2006. I'm almost positive the leaks came out shortly thereafter (like very shortly, late Feb-March). I remember being on vacation & in fact I remember the Winter Olympics were going on while I was away (snowboarding in Lake Tahoe), which puts it at Feb 10th-26th. Pretty sure it was towards the end of them. 

Huh, maybe the leaks were all tied as a result of all this.

James

James wrote:

Sorum is now "pleading the fifth" on a reunion.

Asked this week by Meltdown of Detroit, Michigan's WRIF 101.1 FM radio station for his thoughts on a GN'R reunion, following reports that long-estranged singer Axl Rose and guitarist Slash had recently repaired their relationship, Sorum said: "I would have to plead the fifth on that, basically, because I just don't know. So I would say I plead the fifth. [Laughs]"

http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t&fd … es-lineup/

We all know what that means...

------

Vale wrote:

New GN'R played Download that year. And by February that plan must have already been in motion along with everything else. 2006, after the leaks, was the year Axl tried to do what he failed in 2002 - release CD and make a successful comeback. I doubt that he would have been willing to forget about CD at that point and to go through with a reunion. Who knows where Halfin got that information from. Somethings might have been mixed up, or mis-interpreted by him.

I don't know how a reunion could be  "misinterpreted".  It looks like he got the info from Slash. Even if he got it from Pee Wee Herman it still fits in with what Weiland said.

He had the CD albatross around his neck for 9 years at that point, and it had been rejected at least twice. While I doubt he would have just thrown it in the trash at that point its not hard to imagine him putting it on the back burner. It was practically put on the back burner anyways. In 2006 they were busy trying to remove new GNR footage off youtube, deleting myspace accounts that had CD songs on them, etc. Doesn't sound like he was too keen on moving forward at the moment. Yes the AFD tours were on like Donkey Kong but the album was still in limbo..

Slashsfro- I remember that now that you've posted it. Interesting for sure and its one more tidbit of info that shows something was going on at the time.  Axl had signed that deal with Sanctuary in 05 and he may have been interested in maximizing his profits.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

Apparently, despite the shows and the potential earning power of the subsequent CD/DVD sales, in agreeing to the terms and conditions, each member then agrees that all rights to the entire Guns N' Roses back catalogue would henceforth transfer to Axl.

This would actually make sense. A limited reunion to get more control of the name, then presumably continue on with CD.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

Apparently, despite the shows and the potential earning power of the subsequent CD/DVD sales, in agreeing to the terms and conditions, each member then agrees that all rights to the entire Guns N' Roses back catalogue would henceforth transfer to Axl.

This would actually make sense. A limited reunion to get more control of the name, then presumably continue on with CD.

That would be amazingly lame.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Cramer wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

That would be amazingly lame.

Well put.

Board footer