You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: As the reunion rumors are on a treadmill...

polluxlm wrote:
Cramer wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

Apparently, despite the shows and the potential earning power of the subsequent CD/DVD sales, in agreeing to the terms and conditions, each member then agrees that all rights to the entire Guns N' Roses back catalogue would henceforth transfer to Axl.

This would actually make sense. A limited reunion to get more control of the name, then presumably continue on with CD.

That would be amazingly lame.

Which is why it makes sense. 14

Meantime, if Guns would release CD2 and tour with Robin and Duff...

Sure. I'd be curious. 50%
Impress me. On the fence on Robin &/ CD2. 7%
Nah. Wake me up when the reunion happens. 43%
Total votes: 28
PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
Cramer wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

This would actually make sense. A limited reunion to get more control of the name, then presumably continue on with CD.

That would be amazingly lame.

Which is why it makes sense. 14

Why?  The GnR guys have lived a very comfortable life the last 20+ years off recurring royalty payments. Were even able to parlay that success into starting side projects, solo stuff etc. Why would they jeopardize that for a one-off tour with a lump sum payment. Sure it'd be a hefty payday, but split it by 5 & reduce 50% for taxes and these guys would burn thru it quick. Any financial advisor would highly discourage such a thought, had they not learned anything from the Motown girls of the 60s?

It'd be like Yoko Ono or Priscilla Presley selling their share in 1990.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

As in it would explain why Axl would even contemplate a reunion at that stage, because it would just be a move to bolster his "other" Guns.

Not that most of the other guys would accept that of course. Typical delusional Axl.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Ok, gotcha.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I dunno...at the end of the day gnr was huge...they may be somewhat successful in current years. ..but I doubt anything could beat the rush of the huge shows they played in the 90s...I know Axl appeared and acted frustrated at lack of enthusiasm at some shows from 2006-2012...I doubt he would need to worry about that kinda thing at a reunion. .

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
Neemo wrote:

I dunno...at the end of the day gnr was huge...they may be somewhat successful in current years. ..but I doubt anything could beat the rush of the huge shows they played in the 90s...I know Axl appeared and acted frustrated at lack of enthusiasm at some shows from 2006-2012...I doubt he would need to worry about that kinda thing at a reunion. .

I'd be curious to see how a reunion would play out in regards to crowds. We exist in a bubble here, a self contained forum nerd utopia of sorts. I'm sure larger markets in America would sell out, but overall it would not surprise me if it wasn't as big a deal as we imagine it to be. That era of rock music and record sales seems light years away now. The original band will be much older, but so will their fans. I'm a die hard, and in good shape for my age (44 1/2 but who is counting) and I'm finding late nights a drag sometimes, my feet hurt from standing, I use ear plugs, and am generally not as excited as I was 5-10 years ago.

Most casual fans who probably made up a bulk of crowds/record sales those days are also 45-50 yrs old, and look at music differently than we do.  We all know people like this. "Why are you listening to this OLD music?" they ask. They simply follow what is popular, and discard it once it's no longer in vogue. Are these people going to care that much if the original line up (or 3/5 of them) get back on stage vs the previous incarnation? When they still have mortgages, kids, bills, and aren't interested in staying out until 1 in the morning?

GnR could/would have been as big as the Stones...but they weren't. They stopped short and disbanded. I tend to think a reunion now is once again striking while the iron is cold. I'd imagine if they reunited in the early 2000s (with no "Nu GnR" preceding them) it would have been much bigger deal. Of course this is all hypothetical speculation, and I could be totally wrong. But we've had this strange era of Axl's version of GnR that has slowly decomposed in front of us, becoming worse and worse over the years. The guy has watered down the brand, and anybody who isn't a forum freak says his voice is cringe-worthy-which I agree. Casual listeners think of that image, now with 70% more GnR and may not give a shit.

Curious to see what happens. My dream is that Axl loses that weight, works on his voice and comes back with the old guys. More than anything, all I care about is getting new music from that original line up.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I hear u Cramer. ..I'm ridiculed for liking gnr...all they have to do is hear Scom ot paradise city on he radio and insults will surely happen...dunno tho I still see lots of gnr shirts when I'm driving around...I imagine will be similar to an acdc type of situation...they se to do alright with ticket sales

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Cramer makes valid points. Years ago during the Azoff fiasco I brought up similar points on why I no longer thought a reunion would be some epic occurrence.

You're right...he dragged the name through the mud and I still cant believe he started playing so much of UYI during those last CD tours. I always said a major factor in a reunion's success was the fact that Axl, Slash, Duff, or VR had barely scratched the surface of those albums.

Then he went there.  Now other than the AFD anniversary thing, a reunion has no other selling point other than the world getting to witness a reunion. The set list wont even really matter.

Having said all this....a reunion is going to get a MASSIVE buzz right out the gates. I don't care if Pee Wee Herman is playing drums. It will be headline news on every TV, radio, news outlet. Not an exaggeration.

Here's the funny thing Cramer....the forum nerd utopia is bordering on irrelevant once this gets going.  I think its going to play out similar to the Soundgarden reunion. Yeah I know GNR were bigger, had more hits, blah blah blah....doesn't matter. Its the blueprint on a successful rock band reunion in this era.  I don't remember if you are much of a SG fan so I'll broad stroke it...

A 3/4 SG reunion happened out of the blue. Forum nerds went ape shit. Cornell tweeted that they should have called him and he would have showed up. Now everyone starts going ape shit. Months later they announce that club show in Seattle. Several hundred thousand(or whatever) from all over the country were fighting over 1k tickets. Almost a stampede. Now this show was for hardcores and the set list reflected that.

After that the hipsters of the world jumped on board and the successful US tour was underway. Even headlined Lollapalooza with Lady Gaga and the GaGa fans didn't leave. Yes they started unloading their vault, new album,etc. which made hardcore fans happy but this reunion had largely been a hipster/casual fest. Thousands of people in each city are willing to fork over 100-200 bucks to hear Black Hole Sun, Outshined,etc. and surprisingly weren't taking many piss breaks during new songs. Why look away when history is playing out before you?

While most GNR fans will certainly attend a show, don't be surprised when you go to see a bunch of 18 year olds who are there to see Axl and Slash bust out Jungle and couldn't tell you the track list of AFD or name another album besides AFD even if you had a shotgun aimed at their head.

You know all those people who  wear Motorhead and Ramones shirts but have never heard one of their songs? They're first in line for the tickets. Get em while supplies last!

IMO there's no questioning the success of a first leg US tour, Lolla, Coachella, the Euro festival circuit, SA,etc. GNR's "half empty arena syndrome" will be cured. Its when/if it drags on and its no longer the flavor of the day. Then we may start seeing cracks. That's when they're going to need an album to keep it going.

I don't think its going to be on the level of Floyd or even Zeppelin. IMO best case scenario is SG but with a first show getting massive headlines.

You made an excellent point how they were ALMOST the Stones as a touring juggernaut. Its going to be really interesting to see how it plays out.

If they pass up the anniversary of AFD, they're ALL crazy.

One last thing....anyone who thinks a reunited GNR will play anything from CD is smoking way too much crack.

edit: One other thing....I hope they have proper management when planning a tour here. They better not think too big and act like they're U2 on a 360 tour. Its not going to work. Other than some festivals and stadiums in NY, LA, maybe Chicago, stick to arenas.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

No disrespect, but Soundgarden is a fart compared to GN'R. They are just one of those good grunge bands from the 90s. Guns was the biggest band in the world in the early 90s. Half their catalog could be called hits. 20 years past they can still go to certain markets and pull large crowds, without Slash. Even my mother is a GN'R fan. To this day I hear their songs on the radio regularly.

Axl touring alone for years has created a false perception of the demand. Of course people aren't going to go see him, he's one of the most hated men in rock. The destroyer of child hoods and original bands.

A reunion on the other hand. That's not only legitimate in the eyes of most fans, it's the biggest realistic reunion out there. Hipsters will be climbing over each other to take a selfie at that show.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

No disrespect, but I covered that ground when I said this:

Yeah I know GNR were bigger, had more hits, blah blah blah....doesn't matter.

19  13

In the 21st century for rock band reunions you have basically two best case scenarios: Soundgarden or Floyd/Zep. Anything else is lower on the totem pole. So since you discount SG so quickly, that means you think its Floyd 2.0 or is going to be an epic disaster. If its not at Floyd/Zep level, the next level of success is SG, which is a popcorn fart to you for some reason.  Only in the GNR world can a SG reunion be laughed at. 2 disc GH, new song, live album, new album, tour, and an unloading of their vault all in three years is considered a fart, as if GNR nerds wouldn't piss their pants if just ONE of those things happened. 16

Board footer